PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Bentham

Jacob's Cabin
06-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty positive this is the start of something BIG related to TLE2...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1390650915

http://jbentham.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/jbentham

sorenchr
06-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Im quite sure that those sites are not officially related to TLE2

splooie
06-22-2008, 10:56 PM
In other news, Jacob's Cabin has 815 posts. Better not post anymore. ;)

Jacob's Cabin
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Excuse me?

Jacob's Cabin
06-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Ohhhhh hahahaha I can't believe I didn't pick up on what you were talking about. WOW.

Jacob's Cabin
06-23-2008, 05:45 AM
This Is Not A Hoax

destroyerofterribleness
06-23-2008, 06:45 AM
You know, you'd figure that more LOST fans would be open minded and intelligent enough to at least CHECK this out.

Excellent thread, Jacob's Cabin.

taller_ghost_walt
06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
My thoughts exactly....

Remember in Find815 you got the poster (not even the blog owner) OurMutualFriend42 who lead everyone to a set of pictures that was a clue....This seems very much inline with that.

The site was up in between the last episode and the OGR e-mail. Sounds like pretty solid timing to me.

Ok, so if you believe that this site is real, then there could be a tie in to Hans Van Eeghen. On one of the blog pages Bentham quotes Hurly "The key to the game is Australia" well, the game could be the ARG. If that's the case, the key (or way in...) is Australia. The Leo Van De Pas (creator of the Hugo de Root lineage that includes Hans Van Eeghen) has an e-mail address with .au at the end. That's Australia isn't it?

So could the way into the game be through Australia? More specifically through Van De Pas?

I was just looking at the Van Eeghan lineage, and noticed that the farther of one Emilie Van Eeghen (Born in Boston Mass.) was Constant Van Eeghen.

Here's the exerpt:
XI-111 (X-80-4)
(1) 1 Emilie Louise van Eeghen
Born 18 July 1952 Boston, Mass.

The (X-80-4) means that's where Emilie Louise van Eeghen's branch of the tree starts here's the branch X-80-4:
4 Mr. Constant van Eeghen
Born 6 December 1924 Amsterdam
Married (1) 27 September 1950 City of Newton, Mass. Div.1958
Marian Louise Guiles, daughter of Austin Philip Guiles and
Louise Earhart
Born 20 May 1930 Detroit, Michigan
Married (2) 6 November 1958 Zutphen Div.1965
Barones Jacoba Ursula Sirtema van Grovestins, daughter of
Baron Idzard Louis Douwe Sirtema van Grovestins, Heer van
Ruwiel and Barones Henriette Adčle Bentinck
Born 29 October 1927 's-Gravenhage
Married (3) 12 March 1971 Amsterdam
Eva Margaretha Adolphina Ovinge
Children, Generation XI-111

Constant Van Eeghen.......Come On....there's GOT to be a Lost tie in now. Ben's mother was named Emilie, we never knew her last name.

Jacob's Cabin
06-24-2008, 07:55 PM
tgw...excellent point about OurMutualFriend42. Seriously, EVERYONE NEEDS TO TAKE MY ADVICE. THIS IS NOT A HOAX.

Apollo Candy
06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
THIS IS NOT A HOAX.

It's not a hoax.

Is it a fake?

Jacob's Cabin
06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
No, it's not a fake and i suggest you check out the links I listed.

destroyerofterribleness
06-25-2008, 07:36 AM
A shame no one has latched onto the awesomeness of this thread yet.

Shoes McCoat
06-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Wow. That some pretty nice things you've found.

Jacob's Cabin
06-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks.

Shoes McCoat
06-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Do you know if the Facebook profile is accepting the friend requests? Would like to see what's in the profile.

taller_ghost_walt
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Do you know if the Facebook profile is accepting the friend requests? Would like to see what's in the profile.

Yes, he's accepting friends on facebook and twitter.

theotherbilly
06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I have to admit, initially I thought, naw this is bunk. Now I'm not so sure. Someone would have to go through an awful lot of time and trouble to post all that stuff, plus the more I read the more it makes sense.
I'm gonna say that there is a 75% chance that this is related to the new ARG.

Based on what I've read. John Locke has a twin brother, or John Locke isn't in that casket, a WAX FIGURE is.

I certainly don't have a clue as to what is going on, but this sure is fun :)

Shoes McCoat
06-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Could be a hoax, believe me people will go to great lengths for a good laugh or to boost poor self esteem.

Could be real, regardless I'm enjoying it for what it's worth.

Deyve
06-26-2008, 05:53 AM
That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much effort for a hoax.

And yeah, I'm one of Jeremy Bentham's facebook friends :D

Shoes McCoat
06-26-2008, 06:09 AM

And yeah, I'm one of Jeremy Bentham's facebook friends :D

As he is one of mine. Too much effort though? Really? I mean all that was done was a blog with cryptic writing and rambling. A Facebook profile with various information, and the Twitter thing, whatever that is.

Really is that a lot of effort?

In known hoaxes pulled in the past, you think this is really a lot of effort?

Not that I'm completely saying it's 100% BS, I'm just a skeptic enjoying it and I guesss I've decided not to fully run down the rabbit hole.

Deyve
06-26-2008, 06:14 AM
That's what tells me it isn't a hoax. It's way too cryptic and random to be fake. If someone was trying to do a hoax, they'd put forth more obvious information.

It's just too well done.

Shoes McCoat
06-26-2008, 06:23 AM
I do see your point, but the way I see it, if I wanted the big ruckus, I'd be cryptic too.

The thing that honestly makes me disbelieve the most, the fact that he's be on Facebook all night.

But, since I've made my point, I won't hollar and hoot about things anymore. :) I'm go back to enjoying cryptic Bentham now...

Auron_222
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
This was an intersting find. I find it true since it does elaborate on some concepts of events and characters on the show (however I was a bit skeptical since he posted youtube videos of the show in his blog. I mean come on.) There are numerous hints throughout the place about characters and sometimes responds to a person when they post onto his blog. Good find JC.

Apollo Candy
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Obviously you haven't seen some of the TLE hoaxes.

Jacob's Cabin
06-26-2008, 07:05 PM
ok there's been a security breach at Bentham's blog site...he lists a link to his new site http://jbentham.wordpress.com/

nomadic_1
06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Just wondering. Since ABC owns lost and Disney owns ABC, do you think they would use Facebook for something like this considering how proprietary Disney is when it comes to what they own?

Not saying this isn't the real deal. Just got to thinking.

Jacob's Cabin
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
ABC has worked with facebook before...http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3899006

smitty4815162342
06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
IF (and its a big IF) this is official im dissapointed..... i thought lost was special :( i thought they could channel their creativity through a more exciting medium than facebook...but if you guys believe this is part of ARG

Why arent you angry?
4 F**KING SEASONS OF HARDCORE CULT LIKE FOLLOWING AND THEY GIVE US..............FACEBOOK.:(

Is it part of ARG?
To be honest I hope not.
Seriously it better not be.
Also
For
All you,
KIDS
Everything that has a link to lost is not official.

^Read the first letter of every sentance.

Shoes McCoat
06-27-2008, 08:24 PM
IF (and its a big IF) this is official im dissapointed..... i thought lost was special :( i thought they could channel their creativity through a more exciting medium than facebook...but if you guys believe this is part of ARG

Why arent you angry?
4 F**KING SEASONS OF HARDCORE CULT LIKE FOLLOWING AND THEY GIVE US..............FACEBOOK.:(

Is it part of ARG?
To be honest I hope not.
Also
For
All you,
KIDS

I'm a skeptic on if it is offical or not, but would you perfer this to be on Myspace? FB doesn't have all the glitzy-glam that surrounds Myspace, personally I think there is nothing wrong with it, if this is offical.

I mean if this is a part of the ARG then I'd say this is really neat that you actually get to interact with one of the characters.

Sure he doesn't toss you information and is as esoteric as they come, but I think it is neat.

Jacob's Cabin
06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm a skeptic on if it is offical or not, but would you perfer this to be on Myspace? FB doesn't have all the glitzy-glam that surrounds Myspace, personally I think there is nothing wrong with it, if this is offical.

I mean if this is a part of the ARG then I'd say this is really neat that you actually get to interact with one of the characters.

Sure he doesn't toss you information and is as esoteric as they come, but I think it is neat.

Agreed Shoes McCoat....just so people know for future reference anytime you see MTFram or mtfram18 on one of jbentham's blogs or whatever---that's me

smitty4815162342
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Totaly disagree, and who said anything about myspace? If you are interacting with characters in a ARG Called the lost experience it would have to be more realistic, im JOHN LOCKE on facebook lololololololololololololololol

How can you justify that one, oh yeah locke gets specific instructions from jacob to leave the island straight away to start a facebook account which will save the island.....

lol

please if you consider yourself a lost fan you will utter no such blasphemy even close to suggesting that its "cool" to interact with lost characters on facebook or any other unrealistic site..... locke on facebook lol

im not saying its not real (but im sure its not lol) im saying its not good enough,

Why cant the have a much more elaborate lost expeience im sure it would not dent their finances:

computers to hack (nothing to complicated,fake kind of hacking or somthing) like the flame station,
hidden letters,emails
passwords
dharma terminals to crack etc.

Im not saying turn it into a hacking game as i have no hacking knowlege, what i am saying is make it more realistic, dramatic, difficult, fun.

Its no fun looking at riddles some bored dude put on facebook clearly after watching the finale as the date tells you.

If it was official Jeremy Bentham would be put facebook before we knew who he was duh! so we know it genuine!

theotherbilly
06-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I noticed something yesterday on jbentham's Twitter page, he had "J.J. Abrams" as a follower. I thought that was a bit strange. If it is the real J.J. Abrams why would he be a follower when he would already know what's going on if this were really part of a new ARG. Of course it could be anybody using that name.
When I went to his profile page I noticed that it was created sometime in 2007 and there were only a few posts, mostly the posts were about everyday boring stuff.

I'm lowering my "this is part of the new ARG percentage" down to 62%

I'll keep following it until we determine one way or another that this is part of the new ARG, but this isn't looking good.

smitty4815162342
06-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Im not trying to put anyone down i love ARG, but this is a fake I guarantee. Actualy ill put a bet on :) ive been doing my homework.

destroyerofterribleness
06-28-2008, 04:55 AM

Why arent you angry?

Is it part of ARG?
To be honest I hope not.
Also
For
All you,
KIDS

Please go away.

destroyerofterribleness
06-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Actually, Smitty, using facebook and other social networking sites to perpetuate the new ARG is rather ingenius. With so many outlets of technology available to us today, this is one of the ways that TPTB can connect to all of their fans. Because, let's face it, everyone and their grandmother has a facebook nowadays.

I am sorry if you are too edgy, cool, and full of so much awesomeness that you look down on facebook, myspace, twitter and other sites of the like, but IF this is true (and I am pretty sure it is lol OMGZORZ), then it is one of the smartest and inventive ideas I have ever seen or heard about, EVER.

I mean, this is what the world is, technological advances have led us here and allowed something like FIND815 or the first TLE to exist, and I think you should stop trying to convince everyone in the LP that this is fake (cause I am totally sure that it is real, lol ROLFZORZ).

So stop creating wastes of space with each uninformative and uninteresting post that you create, and just admit to yourself that is the real deal, and the fact that they used facebook isn't such a bad thing.

The preceding paragraphs were intended to come across as condescending and rather rude.

THAT IS ALL.

destroyerofterribleness
06-28-2008, 05:10 AM
I noticed something yesterday on jbentham's Twitter page, he had "J.J. Abrams" as a follower. I thought that was a bit strange. If it is the real J.J. Abrams why would he be a follower when he would already know what's going on if this were really part of a new ARG. Of course it could be anybody using that name.
When I went to his profile page I noticed that it was created sometime in 2007 and there were only a few posts, mostly the posts were about everyday boring stuff.

I'm lowering my "this is part of the new ARG percentage" down to 62%

I'll keep following it until we determine one way or another that this is part of the new ARG, but this isn't looking good.

Considering that J.J. Abrams would have no hand in this because he has so many other projects to attend to right now, it seems perfectly logical.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
06-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Actually, Smitty, using facebook and other social networking sites to perpetuate the new ARG is rather ingenius. With so many outlets of technology available to us today, this is one of the ways that TPTB can connect to all of their fans. Because, let's face it, everyone and their grandmother has a facebook nowadays.

I am sorry if you are too edgy, cool, and full of so much awesomeness that you look down on facebook, myspace, twitter and other sites of the like, but IF this is true (and I am pretty sure it is lol OMGZORZ), then it is one of the smartest and inventive ideas I have ever seen or heard about, EVER.

I mean, this is what the world is, technological advances have led us here and allowed something like FIND815 or the first TLE to exist, and I think you should stop trying to convince everyone in the LP that this is fake (cause I am totally sure that it is real, lol ROLFZORZ).

So stop creating wastes of space with each uninformative and uninteresting post that you create, and just admit to yourself that is the real deal, and the fact that they used facebook isn't such a bad thing.

The preceding paragraphs were intended to come across as condescending and rather rude.

THAT IS ALL.

You are a smart and learned man. Although, I have the feeling that we will not see you posting that much anymore.

1ST POST, YEAH!

999 more until LOSTIE status.

Jacob's Cabin
06-28-2008, 06:08 AM
yeahhhhh DALE

06-28-2008, 06:10 AM
yeahhhhh DALE

Hello there, Jacob's Cabin! I hear you have delicious pie and heart warming coffee in the Damon's Disciples group. I look forward to tasting both.

Hmmmm, Jacob's Cabin. I once visited a cabin of sorts, unfortunately, I am still in it to this day. Luckily The Man from Another Place allows me a few hours of online time a day.

Jacob's Cabin
06-28-2008, 06:12 AM
You didn't visit the black lodge did you?

06-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Too bad I am unable to bang Audrey while inhabiting this dark place.

I totally should have hit that sh%$.

Although....at least I have Laura to keep me company in here.

NO! Not in that way! I am more of her guardian angel....

Although I can see why someone might be thinking along those lines.

Anyways, back to this amazing and informative thread, I wonder if there will be any incidents at Comic-Con.

Hannah1984
06-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Anyway... I kind of hope this isn't real. I'm not bothered about the use of Facebook (it would be a good idea imho). What bothers me is that, say Locke left the island and started a blog, would he really use screenshots from the show on it? That kind of ruins it for me.

smitty4815162342
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Anyway... I kind of hope this isn't real. I'm not bothered about the use of Facebook (it would be a good idea imho). What bothers me is that, say Locke left the island and started a blog, would he really use screenshots from the show on it? That kind of ruins it for me.

Exactly thats what im on about its not realistic enough, it dosent feel right but clearly some people like to hang on to this idea that its real, if you ask me your putting the writers of lost down linking them with such a shabby fake website and like i said i know its fake :) if i wasnt online for all to read I could prove it. Its funny listening to why i should shut up because its "real" i bet my accout that its fake.

06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
People! We are not to believe that Jeremy Bentham is actually using facebook and all of these things to perpetuate the new TLE. Its just a way to get information across.

Diane: Always keep a reminder to not converse with Smitty4815162342. That's all.

smitty4815162342
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
People! We are not to believe that Jeremy Bentham is actually using facebook and all of these things to perpetuate the new TLE. Its just a way to get information across.

Diane: Always keep a reminder to not converse with Smitty4815162342. That's all.

I think your somwhat of a di*k head :p What? Thats what this thread is about, have you even read it? Do you know what forum its in?
We are asking if it's Official or not?

06-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Diane: Smitty does not seem to know that my problem does not lie with the fact that he is questioning whether or not this is real. Rather, the problem lies in his incompetant posts and juvenile behavior. Some people just don't get it.

Oh, and Diane: Remind me to bone Audrey if I ever get out of this "lodge".

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Diane: Smitty does not seem to know that my problem does not lie with the fact that he is questioning whether or not this is real. Rather, the problem lies in his incompetant posts and juvenile behavior. Some people just don't get it.

Oh, and Diane: Remind me to bone Audrey if I ever get out of this "lodge".

My posts are not incompetant they are based or hard evidence, a word wich you do not seem to understand. It does not seem like it is only my behaviour that is juvenile?

Shoes McCoat
06-29-2008, 01:54 AM
My posts are not incompetant they are based or hard evidence, a word wich you do not seem to understand. It does not seem like it is only my behaviour that is juvenile?

You say your posts are based on hard evidence, yet you do not show or prove anything. So, as I take it, you're merely stating an opinion.

As I have said I'm a skeptic on if it's real or not.

You don't see me going against you saying "OH I KNOW BENTHAM IS REAL, I HAVE PROOF!" and not doing any follow up.

You won't be believed this way....

And there is a spoiler section on the forum, if you do have this proof and don't want to ruin it for people who don't want to know.
So, I'm calling your bluff.

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 02:02 AM
You say your posts are based on hard evidence, yet you do not show or prove anything. So, as I take it, you're merely stating an opinion.

As I have said I'm a skeptic on if it's real or not.

You don't see me going against you saying "OH I KNOW BENTHAM IS REAL, I HAVE PROOF!" and not doing any follow up.

You won't be believed this way....

And there is a spoiler section on the forum, if you do have this proof and don't want to ruin it for people who don't want to know.
So, I'm calling your bluff.

I dont think you understand what i mean when I say I can not show it online, lets just say there may be certain legal issues :)

Shoes McCoat
06-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Over it not being real?

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Over how I obtained info.

Shoes McCoat
06-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Well, I called your bluff. You couldn't deliver.

So I'll remain on the fence.

sodak22
06-29-2008, 07:38 AM
sorry to burst your bubble, but i highly doubt this is real. more than likely someone with alot of time on their hands. alot of ARGs have hoaxes much more elaborate than this one.

other than its constant links to things that couldnt be ingame (i.e. locke in the casket, the pic of ben moving the wheel, etc.) none of this was created until after the finale aired which is the dead giveway its not in-game.

if u dont believe me, go here http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25784&start=375

run it by them, they are the experts at ARGs and im sure it will only take a couple of posts to blow this whole hoax out of the water

its definately a hoax, and a shabby one at that

theotherbilly
06-29-2008, 07:58 AM
The problem I'm having on determining if this is indeed a hoax is that I never participated in any of the past ARGs.

If there are any people here who've played the previous games then I have a question for you: Is this in line with prior incarnations of Lost ARGs?

Shoes McCoat
06-29-2008, 08:05 AM
The problem I'm having on determining if this is indeed a hoax is that I never participated in any of the past ARGs.

If there are any people here who've played the previous games then I have a question for you: Is this in line with prior incarnations of Lost ARGs?

I've only played Find815 which it is not like.

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 12:48 PM
sorry to burst your bubble, but i highly doubt this is real. more than likely someone with alot of time on their hands. alot of ARGs have hoaxes much more elaborate than this one.

other than its constant links to things that couldnt be ingame (i.e. locke in the casket, the pic of ben moving the wheel, etc.) none of this was created until after the finale aired which is the dead giveway its not in-game.

if u dont believe me, go here http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25784&start=375

run it by them, they are the experts at ARGs and im sure it will only take a couple of posts to blow this whole hoax out of the water

its definately a hoax, and a shabby one at that

**CLAPPING** Yay somone has a functioning brain **CLAPPING

To Shoes McCoat: Sorry I could not deliver, as much as I want to it could get me in trouble.

PennyHume
06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
This thread is making me chuckle.

The Lost Experience didn't involve any sort of social networking sites... it was in 2006, when myspace, youtube, and facebook were already all prominent websites. Find815 was a bit less developed than TLE, but also didn't involve any social networking sites.

I can't make a call for whether it's real or fake either way. Just because they never used the social sites before, doesn't mean they didn't decide 'hey, this might be a great way to get more casual viewers involved in the ARG.' Also, it could be a new team working on the ARG, who are more prolific in using the social sites, but will develop it further once ComicCon comes around.

As others have said, the thing making me think it would be a fake is the screenshots of images from the show. This is not only unlike the other ARGs, it just doesn't fit into the definition of an Alternate Reality Game. In the Alternate Reality, Jeremy Bentham shouldn't be able to see himself on a TV show.

But either way, I think Smitty is just plain funny, because he claims to have evidence that is way too top secret to post over the internet. Through all my years on the internet, there has never been ANYONE who had secret knowledge about something that they didn't JUMP at the chance to tell people.

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 03:25 PM

The Lost Experience didn't involve any sort of social networking sites... it was in 2006, when myspace, youtube, and facebook were already all prominent websites. Find815 was a bit less developed than TLE, but also didn't involve any social networking sites.

I can't make a call for whether it's real or fake either way. Just because they never used the social sites before, doesn't mean they didn't decide 'hey, this might be a great way to get more casual viewers involved in the ARG.' Also, it could be a new team working on the ARG, who are more prolific in using the social sites, but will develop it further once ComicCon comes around.

As others have said, the thing making me think it would be a fake is the screenshots of images from the show. This is not only unlike the other ARGs, it just doesn't fit into the definition of an Alternate Reality Game. In the Alternate Reality, Jeremy Bentham shouldn't be able to see himself on a TV show.

But either way, I think Smitty is just plain funny, because he claims to have evidence that is way too top secret to post over the internet. Through all my years on the internet, there has never been ANYONE who had secret knowledge about something that they didn't JUMP at the chance to tell people.

Here we go again I DIDNT SAY IT WAS TOP SECRET, I said it was illegal and and if other peolple are stupid enough to post their illegal activities on the web more fool them,.

theotherbilly
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Thank you. This was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. It does make perfect sense that Jeremy Bentham shouldn't be able to see himself on a TV show (not to mention quoting Nirvana songs). I suppose that is why it's called an alternate reality game.
I guess I'll have to wait until July 27th to find out the real plot of the new ARG.

TakeMeToTheIsland
06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Here we go again I DIDNT SAY IT WAS TOP SECRET, I said it was illegal and and if other peolple are stupid enough to post their illegal activities on the web more fool them,.

How is it illegal? ;)

smitty4815162342
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
We'll ill tell you one thing when he says he's Jeremmy Bentham he's not lying that is his real name, and he's correct about one thing he's not John Locke.

Thats all i can tell you

TokyoRose
06-30-2008, 12:16 AM
So you're saying there is a real Jeremy Bentham, born with that name, who's set up this page? :confused:

smitty4815162342
06-30-2008, 12:22 AM
So you're saying there is a real Jeremy Bentham, born with that name, who's set up this page? :confused:

Yes but I assure he has nothing to do with lost.

06-30-2008, 04:02 AM
Smitty. You are so lame.

Jacob's Cabin
06-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's what Jeremy Bentham and Facebook have in common: http://thesocialreport.blogspot.com/2007/08/giving-good-face-what-jeremy-bentham.html

06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey, what if Smitty was really just another part of the new ARG, and the reason he is acting so stupid and childish is because his part is to throw us off of the ARG?

That. That would be awesome.

The reason I suggest this is because I just can't imagine a person existing in life that is so lame as he is.

Deyve
07-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Saying that you have "evidence" that could disprove something then refuse to show it is an really really really quick way to lose what small respect and credibility you have.

And this isn't the new TLE, the new TLE starts at Comicon, this is a lead in to get everyone ready and thinking, the real TLE is still to come, this is to whet our whistles.

Oggylu
07-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Im confused guys help me out whats going on i checked out the sites and im an advid lost fans seen all season and MP's and read lost pedia up and down about ARG's which i didnt play whats up with those sites?

smitty4815162342
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Saying that you have "evidence" that could disprove something then refuse to show it is an really really really quick way to lose what small respect and credibility you have.

And this isn't the new TLE, the new TLE starts at Comicon, this is a lead in to get everyone ready and thinking, the real TLE is still to come, this is to whet our whistles.

I know and for that I am sorry but I thought I could stop some people from wasting time on that site by telling them its not official, but clearly not I think I had the opposite effect. I am sorry about the evidence thing, should not have mentioned it unless I was going to explain it. Anyways you can believe its official, it seriously does not bother me. I can see why you believe Jeremy, he's a smart guy. (Not smart enough to cover his tracks though)

qwertyman46
07-14-2008, 08:39 AM
I just had a chat with "Jeremy Bentham" on facebook's instant messenger app. I took some screen shots in case someone didn't believe me but whatever... now that I look back at it, doesn't seem very necessary but there's always nay-sayers out there. I'll attach 2 screen shots and the chat log... I edited out my last name and put in a little explanation at the top in the txt.. you'll understand when you see it.

Shoes McCoat
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
I just had a chat with "Jeremy Bentham" on facebook's instant messenger app. I took some screen shots in case someone didn't believe me but whatever... now that I look back at it, doesn't seem very necessary but there's always nay-sayers out there. I'll attach 2 screen shots and the chat log...

I've had a few talks with him myself, he'll talk to anyone, so I doubt you'll have many non-believers on if you've spoken to him or not. Just realize this Bentham isn't really going to give any much information. Fake or otherwise.

qwertyman46
07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Aww, I thought I was finally special. Oh well

technoprep
07-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I do see your point, but the way I see it, if I wanted the big ruckus, I'd be cryptic too.

The thing that honestly makes me disbelieve the most, the fact that he's be on Facebook all night.

But, since I've made my point, I won't hollar and hoot about things anymore. :) I'm go back to enjoying cryptic Bentham now...

Honestly, who uses the work Ruckus any more? ...other than emails from OGR...

Shoes McCoat
07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Honestly, who uses the work Ruckus any more? ...other than emails from OGR...

I use a lot of the olden phrases and words of yesterday.

Examples: Over yonder, my lands-a-living, and folks

technoprep
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
I use a lot of the olden phrases and words of yesterday.

Examples: Over yonder, my lands-a-living, and folks

"My lands-a-living"?

You trying to start a brouhaha or a fracus, Mr. Rumpus Roudy Ruckus Maker?
:eek:

It's been fun chatting it up with JB over at FB...Still trying to figure out why we are on "The List"...

technoprep
07-23-2008, 06:00 AM
This was just sent to me via message on Facebook:

I'm Wide Awake and So Alive To members of The List (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18416568682)

http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v226/362/47/t1390650915_9108.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1390650915)
Jeremy Bentham (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1390650915)

Today at 12:18am
Reply (http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?compose&msg_id=0&thread=1007917997200&id=1390650915)

Greetings, kind friends. You are on The List, and have been amazingly patient. Thus, you are the very first to receive what I have dubbed The Reveal (which will be posted on the blog at midnight PST). Apologies in advance for the length...

---
Hi, my name is Jo; some of you may know me as JOpinionated. I am not John Locke, I am not Jeremy Bentham, I’m not British and I’m not even male.

What began innocently enough as a simple social experiment to test out various LOST theories exploded into an unofficial summer diversion for very passionate fans, inadvertently sandwiched between the end of Season 4 and the launch of the official alternate reality game (Octagon Global Recruiting) at Comic-Con.

Before I attempt to elaborate, I would like to begin by reiterating that I never claimed to be a representative of or inside source from either the show or the series. That designation was initially branded upon me by exceptionally dedicated contingents who were strongly involved with a previous ARG.

Immediately following the finale of Season 4, I began to ponder the most effective way to expand the audience of my LOST blog and reach out to fellow fans during the long hiatus. I have never been one for message boards and forums, and the comments section on my site does not allow for true interaction.

From the moment I saw Locke’s shiny dome in that casket, I become slightly obsessed with researching the real Jeremy Bentham. And because I do not believe the man in the coffin to be John Locke, I wanted to explore that theory with the world (or at least those who speak my language and don’t roll their eyes whenever I talk about or vaguely reference LOST).

Frankly, I felt comfortable with and compelled by the idea of donning the virtual suit of a deceased male philosopher. And I thought it would be quite amusing and challenging to do so as a woman. So I summoned up far more digital courage than I ever knew existed, and proceeded with the creation of the Jeremy Bentham blog and Facebook profile.

Rear View Mirror: The Mistakes

Blogging
I began my journey as JB using Blogger, which was a poor choice given that my LOST site also has a blogspot address. Rather than take the risk that someone might discover that JB and I were one and the same, I relocated his blog to Wordpress due to a fictionalized security breach. I also failed to do my homework; I was oblivious to the fact that a major player from a previous LOST game utilized anagrams in many of his official posts (thus, the onslaught of further skepticism regarding my true identity and intent).

Digital Tracking
I am a fairly tech-savvy person, so I should have known that I left a digital imprint with every visit to a fan site or forum. However, I was naďve and did not think that site administrators would go to such lengths to attempt to discover my real name and location.

Facebook
Admittedly, I was caught off guard by instant messaging via Facebook. Not only did I underestimate the interest in JB, I could not have fathomed the number of people who wanted to converse with him ‘live.’ I had to construct an entirely new voice rather quickly, one which spoke as a very proper, old and educated British man. If I never use the word ‘indeed’ again...

Twitter
Not only was Twitter an additional technology to maintain in his voice, I found myself unable to simultaneously ‘tweet’ as JOpinionated. I wanted to continue on as normal, posting pop culture and LOST blogs, and updating my real life via Twitter, so that no one would ever suspect me to be JB. So I prematurely discontinued his Twitter account.

Post-Mortem

Although it became consuming and overwhelming to live, speak and write as two people concurrently (not to mention that my better half started to question exactly whom she was dining with each evening), I enjoyed every IM, comment and email exchanged. I would like to thank those of you who contacted JB in any format; from the patiently curious to the outraged, your participation was inspiring.

This entire process has been a very educational and entertaining experience. I have made connections with some amazing people whom I am now fortunate to consider real friends, and hope to continue conversing and networking with those of you who befriended JB but are at peace with the reality of who he turned out to be.

In all sincerity, I had no idea when I began this project that it would reach so many people, let alone be both embraced with such supportive enthusiasm and deluged with alarmingly hostile suspicions. But I assure you that the JB blog and Facebook profile were created in the same spirit and fervor that you have for LOST. For those of you who felt mislead or are disappointed, that was never my intent.

Although a few kind souls have inquired whether or not I will continue the JB blog after this reveal, I feel as if the timing is right to step down and out of the way of the official game (especially given that I have zero association with it and do not wish to cause further confusion).

So I am resigning as JB, but I do so with dignity, because at no time did I misrepresent myself in a fraudulent manner. I am just a fellow fan who shares your devotion to the show, as well as your desire to enjoy, dissect and analyze as much of it as possible.

Thus spoke Jeremy Bentham.

Comic-Con

To be honest, I secured my 4-day pass in February, fully intending to attend as myself and long before the creation of the Jeremy Bentham experiment. That plan and my agenda have not changed. So I will be there from tonight (Preview Night) through Saturday (after the LOST panel and USA Today Pop Candy party).

If you would like to follow my journey in San Diego, I aim to blog live and post frequent updates via Twitter (http://twitter.com/jopinionated (http://twitter.com/jopinionated)).

Thank you for taking the time to read and absorb. I look forward to meeting new friends both at Comic-Con and online, as myself.

The ball is now in your court; whether you choose to engage with the real me or ignore my every word from here on out, I am entirely receptive to and ready for both.

- Jo

http://jopinionated.blogspot.com (http://jopinionated.blogspot.com/)
http://blog.jopinionated.com (http://blog.jopinionated.com/)

That ends that...;)

Auron_222
07-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Well that blew the whole thing open. To think I actually believed it :(

Shoes McCoat
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Well that blew the whole thing open. To think I actually believed it :(

Don't feel bad, I started out believeing it was a fake then as I continued to talk with them I slowly got sucked into it.

Auron_222
07-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Don't feel bad, I started out believeing it was a fake then as I continued to talk with them I slowly got sucked into it.

The main reason why I was taken in was because I believed that another ARG had started with the blog and it had started right after season 4 ended. There was always the skeptic side of me with him being fake but I just went along with it. Eh oh well just have to wait until Global Ocatagon Recruiting starts up something then :(:(:(

smitty4815162342
07-23-2008, 08:31 PM
:D IN YOUR FU*KING FACE!!

Nah i'm only joking lol im not that type of person :p but i did try and tell you, ok i did act a bit childish about it and even lied about her name being JB but I was pissed that nobody believed me and I didnt want you to get your hopes up. I can understand how some people believed her it was convincing.

theotherbilly
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
:D IN YOUR FU*KING FACE!!

Nah i'm only joking lol im not that type of person :p but i did try and tell you, ok i did act a bit childish about it and even lied about her name being JB but I was pissed that nobody believed me and I didnt want you to get your hopes up. I can understand how some people believed her it was convincing.

Dude, it wasn't that nobody believed you. It was how you kept saying that you had evidence of this being a fake, but you wouldn't post it.
It was how you dealt with this whole issue that made people hostile towards you.

Apollo Candy
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I knew this was fake because he used blogger...

smitty4815162342
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Dude, it wasn't that nobody believed you. It was how you kept saying that you had evidence of this being a fake, but you wouldn't post it.
It was how you dealt with this whole issue that made people hostile towards you.

I understand that, but sometimes Billy, you need to think and not just post things that could get you into trouble. Just because you have info does not mean you can post it... that's why...sorry. I did try to tell people but that wasnt enough.. and yes I did get a bit wound up but that's because I had "evidence" staring me in the face. Oh and...dude i think you will find that nobody believed me or there wouldnt have been the arguing in the first place.

ffingers
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
so this evidence you had....why couldn't you have posted it....did you get it illegally, i don't remember...

maintaining the identity of some blogger isn't my idea of national security...

and you have to realize, you created the situation...you essentially pulled the "here's the red button, whatever you do don't push it" mentality in saying i KNOW something is false, but i can't tell you why, you have to blindly trust me....why should someone blindly trust you just because you SAY you have evidence...one could have blindly trusted the blogger....

i don't care either way because i had a feeling this wouldn't start until next week....but my point is smitty, you have absolutely no reason to get angry or defensive....no one had to believe you, you saying you had evidence meant nothing...so to try and say i told you so, and people SHOULD have believed you is meaningless because there was absolutely no reason to believe you other than your word....and i'm sorry, but this is the interwebs...i don't take many people's words as gold on here....

smitty4815162342
07-24-2008, 07:58 PM
so this evidence you had....why couldn't you have posted it....did you get it illegally, i don't remember...

maintaining the identity of some blogger isn't my idea of national security...

Well I think its a bit obvious that I obtained it illegally did you really need me to tell you that? National secrurity? stealing from a shop isn't national security but it is still illegal. I have just finished a custodial sentance and I think sticking myself in is not the brightest of ideas.

why should someone blindly trust you just because you SAY you have evidence...one could have blindly trusted the blogger....

yes they could have and they did and look where that ended.

but my point is smitty, you have absolutely no reason to get angry or defensive

Angry? I don't know where that is coming from. So i'm not aloud to be defensive?

quadrophenic
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
We'll ill tell you one thing when he says he's Jeremmy Bentham he's not lying that is his real name, and he's correct about one thing he's not John Locke.

Thats all i can tell you

...and none of that was true, since "he" is named "Jo" and is a girl. ...so whatever illegial "evidence" you "obtained" was either incorrect or fabricated. (Apologies for all the sarcastic quotation marks.) The fact that the two happened to link up was a happy coincidence for you though. You were right. You just made odd claims about how you arrived at your opinion, and shot yourself in the foot by posting the above, which apparently people, including yourself, forgot was there.

Sorry to be a d*ck, but that jumped out at me and I was shocked no one else mentioned it.

As for the potential use of things like Facebook/Myspace in the ARG. Don't dismiss it. Each of the characters from the "Cloverfield" movie had MySpace pages that were being updated through 1/18/08 (the release date) and were OFFICIAL parts of the online stuff. I know JJ isn't necessarily masterminding (if that's a word) this ARG, but being that he's still a producer, I wouldn't rule out a similar approach this time around.

smitty4815162342
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
...and none of that was true, since "he" is named "Jo" and is a girl. ...so whatever illegial "evidence" you "obtained" was either incorrect or fabricated. (Apologies for all the sarcastic quotation marks.) The fact that the two happened to link up was a happy coincidence for you though. You were right. You just made odd claims about how you arrived at your opinion, and shot yourself in the foot by posting the above, which apparently people, including yourself, forgot was there.

Fair enough I won't try to change your mind because we know how that ended up last time. Ok I did not have a clue about his/her name or gender but I did know it was not part of the ARG. Do you really think I was getting so wound up on just an idea?

As for the facebook thing it's not that I had the problem with it's how it was laid out, I can understand people from the real world having a facebook accout but Jeremy Bentham :

1. He clearly should have better things to do than sit on facebook all nite.
2. He would not have pictures of scene's from the actual show on it.
3. Locke HATED technology.
4. He would not have said half of the things on there.

That's why it pissed me off not just because it was facebook....although I can't say I agree with that being a good thing.

Jacob's Cabin
07-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Eh, it was still kinda fun to do while we waited for the real TLE2 to start. Quit bein such a hater, Smitty.

smitty4815162342
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Eh, it was still kinda fun to do while we waited for the real TLE2 to start. Quit bein such a hater, Smitty.

im not being a hater lol im just defending myself :p

livetogether, diealone
12-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Reading all of this depresses me very much.

Damn JoOpinionated.