PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon!

nickb123
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey all, this subforum has been created in anticipation of the Lostpedia Book Club project. The launch date will be announced soon, but in the meantime this subforum can be used as a place to discuss possible book titles, or any general comments? For further information on the scheme, check out:

http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/07/taking-lostbook-just-that-little-bit.html

Farker
07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Soooooooo, I guess I'm out of the book club.

nickb123
07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay, this witty response is gonna get old.... fast.

sawyer540
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Yeah. We should have placed bets on how long it would have taken someone to say it. ;)

danhm
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I'll put $10,000,000 on about 20 minutes ago!

fredcar
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM

but i came here to say that line
:O

L

The Smiley-Faced Balloon
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM

"Here I am thinking that free will still actually exists"

I guess I'm not making things any better, am I? :p

It sounds interesting, anyway. :)

LostLocke
07-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, just to get this thread back in line (and before we start pummelling each other with jars of Dharma ranch dressing), I think this sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm thinking, even of only 1/10 of the LP population participated in someway, that would still be what? A few hundred people? A bit more sizable than Juliet's club ;).
If it's promoted, produced, and announced properly, I think this definitely can work. And, it'll give people an 'excuse' to read books they otherwise might not have. (I never read Watership Down till Season 1)

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Watership Down is one of my favorite books of all time :)

CTS
07-09-2008, 05:18 AM
I think the Book Club is a great idea. It'll be something to do over this long hiatus. I think one book that should definitely be read is the Bible (or parts of it), considering the producers said it's the one book we should read in regards to Lost.

i sell seals!
07-09-2008, 05:43 AM
L
exactly! :)

lilkatielady
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm already in a LOST book club but I'll be happy to join one in which I am not the only member. :D

nickb123
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking, even of only 1/10 of the LP population participated in someway, that would still be what? A few hundred people? A bit more sizable than Juliet's club ;).
I think 1/10 would get us more than a few hundred ;) But I doubt we'd get that much anyway, its quite a commitment. To be honest, I'll be happy with whatever number we get, it'd be overwhelming though if we got in the hundreds for a discussion! Imagine moderating the live chat for that...

lostaddict12
07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
This looks awesome. :)

angie
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
exactly! :)

i'm so out of it. i don't understand anything anymore. :eek:

i sell seals!
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
i'm so out of it. i don't understand anything anymore. :eek:

awww. :( there was a debate about what to abbreviate it as...some said 3L and i said L^3. so i was affirming fred's use of L^3 :D

angie
07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
awww. :( there was a debate about what to abbreviate it as...some said 3L and i said L^3. so i was affirming fred's use of L^3 :D
You're such a good explainerer. :)

manic monoliths
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm already in a LOST book club but I'll be happy to join one in which I am not the only member. :D

Likewise:p It'd be nice to discuss the books with people instead of those long reflection periods I've grown used to.:o

Apollo Candy
07-11-2008, 01:48 AM
I think the Book Club is a great idea. It'll be something to do over this long hiatus. I think one book that should definitely be read is the Bible (or parts of it), considering the producers said it's the one book we should read in regards to Lost.

Yeah.... *takes out wrench*

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-11-2008, 02:08 AM
hahahaha :D Nice one, AC.

CTS
07-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah.... *takes out wrench*
Sorry but there's no denying that Lost if FULL of biblical references whether you like it or not.

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Sorry but there's no denying that Lost if FULL of biblical references whether you like it or not.

Yes, but there are better choices, CTS. Better choices that wouldn't stir as much controversy, perhaps? There's already a bit of that over at the other book club thread. I think it's clear that a lot of people don't like the idea of having to deal with the Bible. :o

Apollo Candy
07-11-2008, 02:15 AM

That doesn't mean we need to read anymore of it! We've heard and seen the references before; why go searching in the book trying to find them? NO! NO! NO!!!

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-11-2008, 02:17 AM
That doesn't mean we need to read anymore of it! We've heard and seen the references before; why go searching in the book trying to find them? NO! NO! NO!!!

:eek: Okay, AC. Calm down! :o We're not reading the Bible, okay? :o

Apollo Candy
07-11-2008, 02:20 AM
:eek: Okay, AC. Calm down! :o We're not reading the Bible, okay? :o

I'd read it upside down anyways.

CTS
07-11-2008, 02:25 AM
You could talk in a civil manner rather than saying stupid and unintelligent things that make no sense. Lost is full of these references to the Bible! Isn't the point of the book club to read books that are referenced and related to Lost?!?

Apollo Candy
07-11-2008, 02:51 AM
You could talk in a civil manner rather than saying stupid and unintelligent things that make no sense?

ur mom!

lulz

CTS
07-11-2008, 03:14 AM
ur mom!

lulz
You're not funny

lostaddict12
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM
wow, calm down. no need to hijack both of these threads with pointless arguments.

CTS
07-11-2008, 03:26 AM
wow, calm down. no need to hijack both of these threads with pointless arguments.
Pointless arguments? You're talking about Apollo Candy, right?

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-11-2008, 04:36 AM
CTS, it's clear that you're the only one who seems adamant about reading the Bible for the club. A book club is all about reaching a consensus about what books to read, not imposing your choice on other people. Please respect the wishes of the other members of the club and drop the whole Bible deal already, okay?

You are right, it's got a lot of similarities to Lost. There are plenty of references, but most of those we already know of, even if you've never read the Bible. There are plenty of other choices. Obviously this choice sparks a lot of controversy, so that said, let's move on with other suggestions, okay?

CTS
07-11-2008, 04:52 AM
CTS, it's clear that you're the only one who seems adamant about reading the Bible for the club. A book club is all about reaching a consensus about what books to read, not imposing your choice on other people. Please respect the wishes of the other members of the club and drop the whole Bible deal already, okay?

You are right, it's got a lot of similarities to Lost. There are plenty of references, but most of those we already know of, even if you've never read the Bible. There are plenty of other choices. Obviously this choice sparks a lot of controversy, so that said, let's move on with other suggestions, okay?
I'm not trying to impose my opinion on others. There can be a thread for people who want to read the Bible. Those that don't want to, don't have to. Now, let's move on with other suggestions.

Apollo Candy
07-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Pointless arguments? You're talking about Apollo Candy, right?

Flames.

Sawyerissexy
07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Haha wow, I'm a christian so I'm reading the bible for religious growth. Finished the old testament last week. Anyways it's very very very long and some parts have NOTHING to do with LOST. Anyone could read the 23 Psalm or the Josiah story or whatever, but I don't think the Bible should be included, just too many bits and pieces. What can be found in LOST by John Ankerberg and Dillon Burroughs have a chapter about Lost on the Bible I'd suggest reading for further study. In fact read the whole book, some good insights for Christians. Sorry if I stretched the argument. =)

CTS
07-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Haha wow, I'm a christian so I'm reading the bible for religious growth. Finished the old testament last week. Anyways it's very very very long and some parts have NOTHING to do with LOST. Anyone could read the 23 Psalm or the Josiah story or whatever, but I don't think the Bible should be included, just too many bits and pieces. What can be found in LOST by John Ankerberg and Dillon Burroughs have a chapter about Lost on the Bible I'd suggest reading for further study. In fact read the whole book, some good insights for Christians. Sorry if I stretched the argument. =)
Don't worry, you didn't stretch the argument (because I'm done arguing about this). However, if it is included in the book club (as an optional alternative) we wouldn't read the whole Old Testament.

chelsea07
07-14-2008, 04:33 AM
You guys should read the part where God makes the entire world and all the animals and the sun and humans! That part's the best! (Genesis)

CTS
07-14-2008, 04:35 AM
You guys should read the part where God makes the entire world and all the animals and the sun and humans! That part's the best! (Genesis)
You're right that is a good part.

chelsea07
07-14-2008, 04:39 AM
I don't think it relates to Lost though. lol It's just fun to read.

lostaddict12
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Read the first verse of Deuteronomy 23 :eek: :o:o :p

angie
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Read the first verse of Deuteronomy 23 :eek: :o:o :p
:D HAHAHA! :D

Sawyerissexy
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
wow, immaturity at it's funniest!

imahostile
07-20-2008, 11:47 PM
it is included in the book club (as an optional alternative) we wouldn't read the whole Old Testament.

i'd be willing to read parts of the bible, if someone came up with a list of books which relate to lost. I'd recomend some of the prophets, because prophecy plays a big role in the lost mythology.

LostLocke
07-21-2008, 05:45 AM
My problem is with Deuteronomy 23:12
If God created us to crap, why is he so offended by that said crap? It is completely and perfectly natural.
So maybe he should have thought twice before deciding that we need to crap a lot.
We need to bury what we do because he designed us to do it?
Contradict much???

imahostile
07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
My problem is with Deuteronomy 23:12
If God created us to crap, why is he so offended by that said crap? It is completely and perfectly natural.
So maybe he should have thought twice before deciding that we need to crap a lot.
We need to bury what we do because he designed us to do it?
Contradict much???

If you nottice a lot of the old testament rules have to do with hygene. I think this is because hygene was important if you're going to survive wondering around the desert for years. Of course, you could still argue that God should have made our bodies so that we didn't have to perform unhygenic functions.