PDA

View Full Version : Old voting thread

nickb123
07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone, please see the latest blog post concerning the book club here (http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/07/lostpedia-book-club-carrie-is-our-first.html).

As mentioned in the post, I'm going to be posting September's book title as early as next week to give a good length of time's notice for readers. So, what title should it be?

You can vote here, I know people have already proposed titles elsewhere, and sorry to make you repeat yourself in this thread. However, please note that at this time, we're looking for books that aren't too long - Carrie is about 250 max, and while some stuff like The Third Policeman is a decent lengths, things like Our Mutual Friend I believe is at over 900! While I know one shouldn't just discount a book on its length, we need to be realistic (especially when we are just starting out) about what is an appropriate group read! So please bear this in mind when discussing, and I'll be making a decision in about a week or so, and then will reveal the September book on August 2nd in the blog post announcing the start of reading Carrie.

Thanks as ever for all the support, it really means a lot!

manic monoliths
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Lord of the Flies maybe? It's a great book and it's under 200 pages. I know Lost has kind of moved on into a more science fiction type genre but still survival on an island and how characters interact with each other is at the heart of the show.

Vicki-Was-Here
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is pretty short and simple and would be very interesting to discuss. There is some violence, if I recall correctly.

Little Red Riding Hood is really short and everyone knows the general plot. Maybe for December when the holiday rush is pressing us for time, so we can just do a quick L3.

Personally, I would really like to read Island by Adous Huxley but it's 368 pages long and rather dark.

Also, on the ABC website, they organize the books by dialogue, show theme, and background. Carrie is in the "Background" list so you may want to continue with books listed under "Background." Alternatively, you might do it by season and-since Carrie is under Season 3-continue with books that inspired parts of Season 3.

Hope this helps. :)

FourToes
07-21-2008, 09:21 PM
The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells

My favorite episode from this past season borrows its title from this book. I'm pretty up for anything though.

chelsea07
07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells

My favorite episode from this past season borrows its title from this book. I'm pretty up for anything though.

I'd like to read that, but my library doesn't have it so I couldn't participate if we read that. I'm gonna vote for:

The Wizard of Oz

Apollo Candy
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Alice In Wonderland!

imahostile
07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Through the Looking Glass

chelsea07
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Question, is it called Alice in Wonderland or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? But I would like to read that as well. I think we should read The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland cause those seem to be referenced the most in Lost. And by the way, you so stole my idea of pretty coloured, large font book titles, AC. :)

Beowulf425
07-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Why not The Stand or On Writing both by Stephen King

but The Shape Of Things To Come sounds like a good read

manic monoliths
07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Question, is it called Alice in Wonderland or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? But I would like to read that as well. I think we should read The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland cause those seem to be referenced the most in Lost. And by the way, you so stole my idea of pretty coloured, large font book titles, AC. :)

The title of the book is Alice's Advendtures in Wonderland, but the Disney movie adaptation was called Alice in Wonderland. It's a pretty short book too, although it could be a bit too short, it can easily be read in a day or two.

manic monoliths
07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Why not The Stand or On Writing both by Stephen King

but The Shape Of Things To Come sounds like a good read

The Stand is like 1400 pages long! Plus if Carrie is the first book I don't think we should do another King novel so soon.

I haven't read the Shape of Things to Come but I agree it does sound great.

chelsea07
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
The title of the book is Alice's Advendtures in Wonderland, but the Disney movie adaptation was called Alice in Wonderland. It's a pretty short book too, although it could be a bit too short, it can easily be read in a day or two.

Well, I don't think length of books really matters. I finished Carrie in a day and that's our first book. Lol :) Short books can be chosen too, that's my point. I still want to do The Wizard of Oz next though. I've never read the real version.

BENALWAYSHASAPLAN
07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Bad Twin - Gary Troup, please!
Lord of the Flies -William Golding
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Shape of Things to Come - H.G. Wells

Lostiholic
07-21-2008, 10:18 PM
How about "Are you there god is me Margaret"

Its a good book its short and simple

(also sawyer was reading it ^.^)

Sam McPherson
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Here's a list of books I bought recently, and why I think they should be used.

Lord of the Flies - A book so often referenced on the show, there are quite a few parallels between it and Lost. It's a brilliant book, and it's also rather short, so it'd be a good one.

Watership Down - There are also many similarities between this book and Lost, and it is also a great read.

Catch-22 - Just bought this, and it looks absolutely fantastic. It should be a good dose of humor, especially after Carrie or Lord of the Flies. I bought a recently-published reprint as well, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Admittedly, the episode named after this book sucked. But the book has been acclaimed as being one of the best science fiction novels ever.

I have not yet gotten VALIS, Shape of Things to Come, or The Third Policeman, but once I do, I will be more than happy to read those as well.

Sam McPherson
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM

UGH. Such a terrible, terrible book. I hated it.

chelsea07
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
UGH. Such a terrible, terrible book. I hated it.

Lol I was about to say that. It's just so incredibly dumb. Like, I read that book when I was twelve and I still realized it was garbage.

Sam McPherson
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Lol I was about to say that. It's just so incredibly dumb. Like, I read that book when I was twelve and I still realized it was garbage.

Exactly. Just another "I can't fit in so I make do," story.

hawthorne_abendsen
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I vote for VALIS.

manic monoliths
07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I though Are You There God? was a really sweet book actually. I didn't have the courage to buy it myself though, especially because the edition I have is pink and has a picture of a training bra on it. Grown men should not be seen buying those sort of books :p

Raydogg57
07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Slaughterhouse Five. It the inspiration for Desmond being "unstuck in time"

JateisFate09
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I put in my vote as either VALIS (it sounds awesome), The Stand (and yes, it is rather long), or Lord of the Flies. Can't wait to start reading Carrie!!

Apollo Candy
07-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeah, I did. :p

And it is known both ways.

Mutton
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Slaughterhouse Five. It the inspiration for Desmond being "unstuck in time"

If the group would like to start out with shorter books (and maybe slowly building up to longer ones later on) then I think Slaughterhouse Five would be good. It's quick read, about 200 or so pages IIRC.

FourToes
07-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I'd like to read that, but my library doesn't have it so I couldn't participate if we read that. I'm gonna vote for:

The Wizard of Oz

I would definitly be willing to read The Wizard of Oz. Alice's Adventures is very good and a quick read too. Have not read Through The Looking Glass yet though and we could probably combine them as one month since they are short and the same characters (I assume).

Robbyn
07-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Lord of the Flies, Watership Down, and Stranger in a Strange Land are all easy reads and great books, although I've read them all and would like to read something new... I also wouldn't mind reading something longer and more complicated, but I know not everyone is crazy like me. (I just finished a fabulous trilogy called His Dark Materials in like five days) I've had Carrie for a week and I'm afraid to start reading it cause it's only gonna take me a day... then I'll have to read it again to discuss! :) I also would really like to read Bad Twin... really I don't care too much because i plan on reading every book on the Lostpedia list eventually. :D

Robbyn
07-22-2008, 01:00 AM
p.s. I don't get the lostpedia chat... I'm computer illiterate. Can anybody help me???

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I want to read The Shape of Things to come SO badly, but my stupid library doesn't have it. This sucks. :(

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 03:05 AM
I think Our Mutual Friend should be saved until after the series is over, if the book club lasts that long.

gnomon
07-22-2008, 03:10 AM

Two menstruation books in a row would be a bit much, I think. ;)

I'd be up for "The Shape of Things to Come", particularly because I've never read it before. "Valis" is also on my list of to-reads.

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 03:30 AM
Hm...i dunno if Shape of Things to Come should be read quite so soon.

I'm stickin' with Lord of the Flies.

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Two menstruation books in a row would be a bit much, I think. ;)

You just gave away plots to two books lol

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Not entirely.

But quite explicitly.

FourToes
07-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Hm...i dunno if Shape of Things to Come should be read quite so soon.

I'm stickin' with Lord of the Flies.

I had originally said we should go in order but since we are starting with Carrie which is season 3, I figure we might as well read the books that interest us all. I want to see if The Shape of Things to Come applies to the future happenings off the island and perhaps helps sculpt some new theories in my mind during the off season.

usmc20032002
07-22-2008, 03:56 AM
I just bought Bad Twin and started reading it. I haven't gotten very far into it yet so I would like to finish it soon. I say we read it after Carrie.

lilkatielady
07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
I haven't read the Shape of Things to Come but I agree it does sound great.

I havn't read it either but I do want to.

Bad Twin - Gary Troup, please!
Lord of the Flies -William Golding
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Shape of Things to Come - H.G. Wells

I've been wanting to read Catch 22 too.

Here's a list of books I bought recently, and why I think they should be used.

Lord of the Flies - A book so often referenced on the show, there are quite a few parallels between it and Lost. It's a brilliant book, and it's also rather short, so it'd be a good one.

Watership Down - There are also many similarities between this book and Lost, and it is also a great read.

Catch-22 - Just bought this, and it looks absolutely fantastic. It should be a good dose of humor, especially after Carrie or Lord of the Flies. I bought a recently-published reprint as well, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Admittedly, the episode named after this book sucked. But the book has been acclaimed as being one of the best science fiction novels ever.

I have not yet gotten VALIS, Shape of Things to Come, or The Third Policeman, but once I do, I will be more than happy to read those as well.

I see bunnies in a whole new way after reading WD. I also grok. :)

That is a short sweet book...so it goes.

Lord of the Flies, Watership Down, and Stranger in a Strange Land are all easy reads and great books, although I've read them all and would like to read something new... I also wouldn't mind reading something longer and more complicated, but I know not everyone is crazy like me. (I just finished a fabulous trilogy called His Dark Materials in like five days) I've had Carrie for a week and I'm afraid to start reading it cause it's only gonna take me a day... then I'll have to read it again to discuss! :) I also would really like to read Bad Twin... really I don't care too much because i plan on reading every book on the Lostpedia list eventually. :D

HDM rock!!! Actually...Desmond's training camp was named after a place in them.

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 03:59 AM
OK everyone 4 words

THE WIZARD OF OZ!!!!

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 04:01 AM
Jesus, we get that you want to read the Wizard of Oz. It's spammed all over the freaking topic. Now please, let's move on; we'll likely get to it eventually.

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Jesus, we get that you want to read the Wizard of Oz. It's spammed all over the freaking topic. Now please, let's move on; we'll likely get to it eventually.

Lol, K I only said it like two or three times, sorry.

Um, The Outsiders, anyone?

BTW: Does anyone know where I can get books for cheap? Cause I have a feeling I'll be needing The Shape of Things to Come soon.

LostLocke
07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
My first vote would be Watership Down.
Followed by Lord of the Flies.

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Chelsea, if you live near the Tennessee area, there is a great used bookstore called "McCays," of which there are three stores spread through Chattanooga, Nashville, and somewhere else. Almost perfect condition used books. I got Carrie there for around $2...but some of the pocket classics are $.50 cents apiece. The cheapest book I got there, though, was "Sphere" by Michael Crichton, in good condition, for a nickel.

But other than that, perhaps the used section of Amazon? I'm sure a certain amount of websurfing on ebay or elsewhere could yield good results.

FourToes
07-22-2008, 04:12 AM

BTW: Does anyone know where I can get books for cheap? Cause I have a feeling I'll be needing The Shape of Things to Come soon.

Yeah a lot of towns have used and half price book stores, but even amazon.com has a section on every books page where people sell their old copies.

I like owning the books I've read. I feel like they are trophies on my book shelf and great conversation starters with guests who see them.

usmc20032002
07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Go to a library...

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 04:18 AM
My library doesn't carry the book. Anyways, I live in a really crappy town with absolutely no stores, so i think I'm going to have to buy it at Chapters which means a dreaded trip to the over crowded mall in a nearby city. UGH!

usmc20032002
07-22-2008, 04:20 AM
That sux. May have to resort to the Internet.

usmc20032002
07-22-2008, 04:22 AM
It sux when your library closes by the time you get off work.

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 04:25 AM
Mine closes at like 8, that is such good hours for a library. And no one even goes there except me!

markno
07-22-2008, 04:49 AM
The Third Policeman - I have two copies by accident

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Ooh, I would send you my mailing address. lol

Rapunzel
07-22-2008, 05:18 AM
The Shape of Things To Come sounds so appealingly ominous. The Invention of Morel or Valis are also sci-fi possibilities. But I'll read anything,really. It'll be great to have other Lost addicts to discuss with.

noctem63
07-22-2008, 06:24 AM
I think Our Mutual Friend should be saved until after the series is over, if the book club lasts that long.

I agree. It's only right. Ha. But my pick for September would have to be Island by Aldrous Huxley. For the sole reason that it relates to the series as a whole beginning with the pilot episode.

Which occurred September 22nd!

RBCostanza
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I vote for "Valis" by Philip K. Dick. Here's the Amazon.com summary:

"It is a fool's search for God, who turns out to be a virus, a joke, and a mental hologram transmitted from an orbiting satellite."

Let's hope John Locke's quest doesn't end up like that.

LostLiney
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
How about 'Slaughterhouse 5'? This book by Kurt Vonnegut has been referenced by Carlton and Damen as an influence and is particularly relevant for those who loved the episode 'The Constant'. Only 150 pages too!

TakeMeToTheIsland
07-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I think we should do Lord of the Flies next.

nickb123
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm gonna add a poll to this thread with some titles on. I'm not including the following:

Watership Down - I'd rather that was later than no#2.
The Shape of Things To Come - same reasoning.
Alice in Wonderland - I'd love to do this later on as a possible double wammy with its sequel (as the books are 160, and 176 pages - could be done if people are interested - also recent editions combine the two in one I see on Amazon)

Vicki-Was-Here
07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I cast my vote. :) When will the poll close?

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I personally think it's too soon for VALIS as well.

Oh, and I haven't ordered it yet. lol

But if it's picked, i'll get it from B&N or something.

nickb123
07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I cast my vote. :) When will the poll close?
Well the final decision will be posted on August 2nd, so I guess it could stay open until next Friday (the 1st). Note though, the poll is not the ultimate deciding factor, as I consider things like month-to-month genre flow, etc etc - though of course it will influence the decision heavily (so probably it will just be the deciding factor lol).

RBCostanza
07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
How about 'Slaughterhouse 5'? This book by Kurt Vonnegut has been referenced by Carlton and Damen as an influence and is particularly relevant for those who loved the episode 'The Constant'. Only 150 pages too!

Slaughterhouse is actually a great read. It's very Desmond-esque as far as the time traveling stuff is concerned and it has some cool sci-fi stuff in it as well. Great suggestion! I re-cast my vote!

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I think we all know what I voted for. :)

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
It's painfully obvious.

The music from Wizard of Oz is the halftime show for the my school's band this year. I'm already sick of it.

3rdstavedown
07-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I have never read this book. I saw the film years ago, We should totally go for this book next. I am looking forward to reading what everyone thinks about these books. Good Fun!:)

Sam McPherson
07-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I've actually never seen the movie of Lord of the Flies.

chelsea07
07-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I've actually never seen the movie of Lord of the Flies.

There's actually two versions (probably more) The older one apparently follows the book quite well (I haven't actually seen it), but the newer one (which is still not very recent) doesn't follow the book that well, in my opinion.

open_pick
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Both the Lord of the Flies movies are lame. The first one was full of child actors that couldn't act, and the second one was a victim of Hollywood. I don't think the atmosphere of the book could ever be captured on film, because some of the themes, like the crashed airman, are very reliant on the imagination. In my opinion, good books don't make good films. But there are some quite good parallels between Lost and LOTF, so it's a good candidate for the book club.

NewPollution
07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Slaughterhouse five! Pleassee :D

Personally, I found LotF a little dull, although its connections are great with Lost, they are really obvious connections, and leave less to the imagination. For SH-5, when I read it, I took a lot of notes about similarities and such. I won't mention them now, but I'll save them for a later now if we read this fine piece of literature :)

Sam McPherson
07-23-2008, 02:37 AM
I'd be fine with Sh-5 for a later time, but I won't get it for another month or so.

des&penny
07-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Since I haven't read a book in 10+ years before watching Lost [kinda sad that it was my push, but whatever works], I started easy and read Are You There God and A Wrinkle In Time. If I am reading these boards correctly, then Slaughterhouse 5 or The Third Policeman is where I'd want to go. I am loving the time-related stuff.

P.S.- is anyone else having trouble finding The Third Policeman in a library?? I live in NY where there are TONS of libraries, and none have it!! Maybe I'll have to buy it....

Sam McPherson
07-23-2008, 04:35 AM
I can't find Third Policeman either. I'm purchasing it off amazon, but with my local UPS, it should be a good month or two before it comes in, along with Valis and Slaughterhouse-5.

angie
07-23-2008, 04:53 AM
My vote is Third Policeman- I've heard it's awesome!

i sell seals!
07-23-2008, 06:24 AM
if you want good deals on books. powells.com (www.powells.com) is a great independent bookstore.

and i've been strong armed to vote for the third policeman. *you're welcome angie* :p

Jimeni
07-23-2008, 07:04 AM
if you want good deals on books. powells.com (www.powells.com) is a great independent bookstore.

and i've been strong armed to vote for the third policeman. *you're welcome angie* :p

Hey, if Seals and Angie are voting "Third Policeman," I will too. :D That has been on my list of books to read for awhile now.

And I've read quite a bit of Stephen King but never "Carrie," so I'm glad about the first choice (now I just gotta get my hands on a copy of "Carrie").

*going to Seals' link now*

blueeagleislander
07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
I vote Third Policeman, looks good.

Sam McPherson
07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
ARgh...I may be late getting that one.

fredcar
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
i've read a small bit of the third policeman... but slaughterhouse 5 gets my vote. we had 100+ odd people vote in the other thread to say they're in, so hopefully there are still a lot of votes to come in

zokiboy
07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I voted for The Third Policeman.. but which ever wins I'm reading it! This book club is a great excuse for reading more :D

angie
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
if you want good deals on books. powells.com (http://www.powells.com) is a great independent bookstore.

and this is why i <3 you. :D

Hey, if Seals and Angie are voting "Third Policeman," I will too. :D That has been on my list of books to read for awhile now.

And I've read quite a bit of Stephen King but never "Carrie," so I'm glad about the first choice (now I just gotta get my hands on a copy of "Carrie").

*going to Seals' link now*

Jim! I miss you! and <3 you too! :D

PennyHume
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM

The best place to get cheap books is to buy them used from amazon.com or bn.com... I'm an English major, so obviously I have to buy at least 10 literary books every semester, plus I usually have to buy a few textbooks too. By using bn.com's search feature for the book you're looking for, and then clicking the "Buy this book used" link, I can almost always find ok copies of literary books for $1.99 a piece (plus the cost of shipping). They usually get here within a week or two.

That being said, my vote goes to Slaughterhouse Five... I've read it before, but it's been a while, and it's very clear that Desmond's 'unstuck in time' problem was directly related to Billy Pilgrim. Plus, it's a GREAT book, and it has some humor, which as someone said might be a relief after reading Carrie. I think it's a good idea to alternate the books between darker and lighter reads.

gnomon
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I voted for "Valis", since I haven't read it yet.

I wouldn't at all mind "The Third Policeman", though, since it's one of my favorite books (one I've already read 2 or 3 times). And I'll let out that there's a lot there that touches on Lost, although that's all I'll say about that. :)

JonlyBonly
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
<has yet to vote in the poll... :o

Do any of you's know when we are going to start reading Carrie? Or has it been announced here in this thread already?

PennyHume
07-26-2008, 05:45 AM
JB: It was announced in the link NickB gave to the blog posting about it... see here (http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/07/lostpedia-book-club-carrie-is-our-first.html) :)

WanderingMathematician
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I found The Third Policeman at my library... it was old and in the "Last Copy Collection." They unfortunately do not have VALIS though, which I am dying to read...

Another good online site for hard to find books is http://www.alibris.com. They have used and out-of-print books.

JonlyBonly
07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
JB: It was announced in the link NickB gave to the blog posting about it... see here (http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/07/lostpedia-book-club-carrie-is-our-first.html) :)Thanks Penny! I didn't sift thru all 8 pages of this thread, and I'm usually just hanging out on the forums, so I missed the blog posting. :o

freckles24
07-26-2008, 06:09 PM
The Invention of Morel is pretty short and the writer was influenced by the writer of Valis and it has been compared to Turn of the Screw.

Bregi
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm already finished with carrie now...
So I bought lord of the flies and ordered the third policeman.. so I will be a lot too fast :P
but I already started writing an excel document with all the connections I see between the books i read and lost. Of course I will release this file after it's finished.

Bregi

blackrock29
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I think we should definitely do The Stand.
The producers said that was a huge influence.

Sam McPherson
07-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but it's also 1000+ pages.

Jacob'sWiseOldMother
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I voted for Lord of the Flies. I just watched The Wizard of Oz last night on TBS. I haven't seen that movie in a really, long time! That book would be fun to read too!

pine-ex
07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
i want slaughterhouse IV if it could just get a few more votes. oh well i guess I will start reading lord of the flies

ssjm1221
07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Are the five above the only 5 up for discussion? I think Slaughterhouse Five is most relevant... the whole becoming "unstuck in time" idea..but if non-fiction is acceptable.. I think everyone should read "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.. it's actually not a difficult read.. it should def. be on the list... along with "Through the Looking Glass" and "Atlas Shrugged"

ssjm1221
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Also.. I noticed the mention of Stephen King's "The Stand" above.. I'm a firm believer that if we're talking King... The Dark Tower series is where the true influence is.. although that is impossible considering it's I think 7 books? or maybe more... I really think it's possible that Lost will end the way the Dark Tower series did.. ;o)

WanderingMathematician
07-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Also.. I noticed the mention of Stephen King's "The Stand" above.. I'm a firm believer that if we're talking King... The Dark Tower series is where the true influence is.. although that is impossible considering it's I think 7 books? or maybe more... I really think it's possible that Lost will end the way the Dark Tower series did.. ;o)

Dear God, I hope not. :rolleyes:

Sam McPherson
07-29-2008, 02:53 AM
As much as I love TDT, I dont think it'll end that way.

ssjm1221
07-29-2008, 03:20 AM
I just know they're huge king fans and that Matthew Fox is supposedly the only person outside of cuse and lindelof that know how the show will end. Makes me think that we'll be left with a shot of Jacks eye. I guess I'm one of those people that think this whole show is based on "free will vs pre-determination".. and that the time loop theory might be the real deal.. i think id prefer something epic like that then some very basic end goal. I think the new video released at comic-con really shows that everything that is happening.. might be happening to correct something that was not SUPPOSED to happen.. ouch

chebang
07-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Not sure this one is really very important compared to the other book choices. It doesn't really cover the main themes and it won't bring much light to the mysteries we wish to solve about the show.

I do love that Sawyer was reading it, though.

Most of us already know the main plot in Lord of the Flies and in the Wizard of Oz. I would love to see Valis or The Third Policeman get chosen. They sound a bit more complex and maybe will help us see some things we didn't before about the show.

I do know that Stephen King is a huge influence on the writers. They keep saying that over and over so we should definately read another soon. The Stand is a great choice, I agree. If we are to really delve into what the writers are trying to do with the show, we should absolutely read the book they said is their greatest influence to LOST. I think reading it will help us to make fast progress.

fotografia
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I put in a vote for Lord of the Flies - great read, hope it ends up as the read for September.

Also, I agree it'd be great to get round The Stand at some point - one of my all time favourites and a really great experience. It's a meaty read, but it's well worth it, and once you've put a decent dent in it, it's hard to put it down.

island redhead
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I voted for Slaughterhouse 5, but I'm honestly fine with any of the choices above.

And yes, The Stand is one of the best books I've read. Dark Towers is good, but it's better once you've read The Stand and the other books that reference the same characters.

avaccaro912
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
My vote was a tie between Lord of the Flies and the Third Policeman.

I ended up choosing Lord of the Flies mainly because I found a free e-book of it to throw on my e-book reader. I can't seem to find an e-book of Third Policeman. They didn't even have a copy at any of the Palm Beach County libraries. :/

Can't wait. I have like 20 pages left in Carrie that I should finish by tonight. :)

ssjm1221
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
The Stand would be great.. I read it as a teenager and would like to see how differently it translates now that I'm in my late 20s... even though it's a pretty long book for some people to tackle in a short matter of time.. particularly because the first half or so is slower character development.. I think that's the main reason the writers quote it as such an influence.. its incredibly driven by a large/diverse group of characters.. who all play a very significant and specific role in the grand scope of the story.. but I def. think the books that deal with the perception of time/space/reality are best

fotografia
07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, even though The Stand is initially rather daunting, once you've got the first third of the book, and the seperate story strands out of the way to a point where they all converge, it seems to fly by. I myself took a long time to eventually stick with it, but once I did; a wonderful read.

It might be an idea to have people point out where they can buy the paperback editions cheap, lol. I don't really mind hitting the high street, but if you've got your back to the wall finance wise, it is nice to get a good deal. I've got a couple of editions of Lord of the Flies lying around somewhere (if someone in the UK needs one and can't get an ebook or a good deal on one) but I was wondering if anyone knows a good site for buying books. With me, it's usually a case of hitting the charity shops (might be called good will stores in the states) and filling baskets with ridiculously cheap paper backs once I get paid, lol.

island redhead
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I found all of the books on half.com for a pretty good price...but you can only buy or sell if you reside in the US. I usually go there or secondhand stores to buy books, since I get through them so fast.

fotografia
07-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for that redhead - might be useful for the stateside members. I just wish we could bake some cyber muffins and flash them off to Ameila befor ehand.

Right - I'm really depressed - and drunk - and recent memories of Carrie have me thinking, with so much emphasis "FLEX" lol - even though Momma would have my guts for garters if i so much as touched a drop - Carrie's Momma - not my Momma.

Anyway, massively depressed right now - so I'm doing the obvious thing of slinking off to a bar to spend my night nursing my woes and sipping on an exceptionally strong drink or ten.

usmc20032002
07-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I'd be up for the stand too but it will definatly take some time to read. The book is huge!

nickb123
07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Just to let you know, I'll be closing this poll on Friday, and announcing September's book on Saturday. Note though a new poll will soon open up for October's book (I know, confusing), which will last during the entire Carrie read time.

So get your final votes in ASAP, and then duke it out for October's - losers from this discussion can be renominated, naturally.

allikf
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
How about The Turn of the Screw

I mention it b/c it was actually in the show (training video reel was hidden behind it in the swan)

gnomon
07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Also.. I noticed the mention of Stephen King's "The Stand" above.. I'm a firm believer that if we're talking King... The Dark Tower series is where the true influence is.. although that is impossible considering it's I think 7 books? or maybe more...

Yes, seven books. And yes, a big connection with Lost, including the business about the Red Sox, not to mention a father's betrayal of his community in order to save his own son, and questions of good and evil, and the nature of time and place, and... :)

I really think it's possible that Lost will end the way the Dark Tower series did.. ;o)

I've been thinking this for quite some time, too (maybe as far back as the first season).

gnomon
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I just know they're huge king fans and that Matthew Fox is supposedly the only person outside of cuse and lindelof that know how the show will end. Makes me think that we'll be left with a shot of Jacks eye. I guess I'm one of those people that think this whole show is based on "free will vs pre-determination".. and that the time loop theory might be the real deal.. i think id prefer something epic like that then some very basic end goal. I think the new video released at comic-con really shows that everything that is happening.. might be happening to correct something that was not SUPPOSED to happen.. ouch
One reason I think you're right about this is that Cuse and Lindelof said - very early on - that there's no question that once the show is over, it's over. That would certainly be true if continuing would simply be the wheel making another turn.

nickb123
08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone, the poll is now closed. I will announce tomorrow what September's book will be.

ssjm1221
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
One reason I think you're right about this is that Cuse and Lindelof said - very early on - that there's no question that once the show is over, it's over. That would certainly be true if continuing would simply be the wheel making another turn.

yeah.. and while Matthew Fox supposedly knows how the show will end.. he doesnt know the events that lead there obviously.. which means that there is a specific shot/scene that they've been aiming for from the beginning... i think we're left with the "jack eye shot".. and that this whole thing is about the "course correcting" thats been referred to...i hope if it does end that way that people see how brilliant it is and are not unhappy with it, ha

DrinkDharmaBeer
08-02-2008, 05:04 AM
newbie here!

i've actually made it through about half of The Third Policeman. strange book. . .a little hard to read. i'm glad we are starting with Carrie. i can put Policeman aside for a while.

and about cheap books: if you don't know about it yet, half price books (http://www.halfpricebooks.com) is the greatest place on earth. it's a chain store that sells new & used books, cds, dvds, records, etc. for half the retail price or much less. they have a great clearance section at my local stores where everything is $1 or $2. i usually find a few stephen king books on clearance every time i visit. hardcover even. looks like they have locations in Arizona, California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington & Wisconsin

Sawyers_Stash
08-02-2008, 05:08 AM
I think I will just hit up the library. When are we meant to finish this one or how fast am I meant to read it?

JonlyBonly
08-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I think I will just hit up the library. When are we meant to finish this one or how fast am I meant to read it?

Hey Stash!

I also checked my book from our local library. I think we have 20 or so days to read Carrie... Hope that helps some. :)

lostaddict12
08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
woohoo lotf :)

nickb123
08-02-2008, 05:23 PM
If you haven't already seen the blog, go there (http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/08/book-club-begins.html)! But, it has been decided that Lord of the Flies will be September's book! A new poll will shortly be added with new options (based on discussion that has already gone on here) for October's book. The two books with the lowest number of books will be removed as will LOTF, and replaced with 1) Alice in Wonderland, and 2) A Wrinkle in Time and 3) YOU TELL ME!!!

But make it soon so the poll can be restarted ASAP. Thanks!

Sam McPherson
08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
2) VALIS - Just got it in, can't wait to read. It'll be weeded out, because it's 2nd lowest, but i wouldn't mind it.

3) Stranger in a Strange Land - Heralded as the "greatest science fiction novel of all time."

nickb123
08-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd actually quite like to put in Walden Two if people agreed - its influenced parts of the mythology to the show apparently, and just from a psychologist angle, it sounds great.

Sam McPherson
08-02-2008, 05:42 PM
As good as that sounds, I'd much rather stick with a more obvious book, for now.

Sawyers_Stash
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Im debating whether I even want to read Carrie..... I know it will be much better then the movie but I really didn't like the movie................ ahh it just depends if I get to the library on time I suppose.

I love OotF though I think i actually have 2 copies...

Jacob'sWiseOldMother
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
How about for October's list, Of Mice and Men. Sawyer and Ben actually talk about it in an episode and it isn't too long for a quick read!

Robbyn
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Stranger in a Strange land!

chelsea07
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I know its not my decision, but don't you think it would be better if we just took all the books from the poll that's already up and read them in order from most votes to greatest. Like next month Lord of The Flies is being read, then the month after that Slaughterhouse Five would be read and so on. That would be so much easier than making new polls and plus the books in the poll already were the ones that most people asked for, so taking away the bottom two wouldn't really make sense.

nickb123
08-03-2008, 01:41 AM
I know its not my decision, but don't you think it would be better if we just took all the books from the poll that's already up and read them in order from most votes to greatest. Like next month Lord of The Flies is being read, then the month after that Slaughterhouse Five would be read and so on. That would be so much easier than making new polls and plus the books in the poll already were the ones that most people asked for, so taking away the bottom two wouldn't really make sense.
The poll is less about numbers and more about sheer contenders. If a book isn't popular in the voting then I'll knock it down the pile. The poll is really the "top 5" of the moment, and what feedback there is regarding this. Numbers are important but they are not necessarily my deciding factor anyway, I consider things like variety of genres and themes as well.

Its also better to keep discussion alive, and I want to announce each month future titles rather than give a six month list... it keeps people more active and involved.

nickb123
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Okay, the new poll has been created. Note for the Alice in Wonderland choice, it is both books. Most new editions actually combine both tales in one volume anyway, so it shouldn't be difficult to obtain and read this "two in one".

Sam McPherson
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm having trouble choosing between The Third Policeman and Stranger in a Strange Land.

MikeyTay
08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Lord of the Flies is a good choice for the next book, it's a shame I read it last year.
In fact the main reason I read it was to look for connections to Lost... if only I knew there would be a group of people doing the same thing.

BabySmokey
08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Ive never heard of Slaughterhouse 5. Whats the possible Lost connection?

nickb123
08-03-2008, 09:47 PM
From Lostpedia:

During a gameshow heard in the background in Meet Kevin Johnson, the novel and its author are named in one of the questions.

There is a lot of connection to Desmond, and about being "unstuck" in time.

Sam McPherson
08-03-2008, 10:22 PM
And it's Kurt Vonnegut. Required for all book clubs.

Desmond_Fan16
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I think we should read the Stand because of it's similarities between it and LOST It's a long book but it is still a good one

manic monoliths
08-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I voted for Stranger in a Strange land for the purely selfish reason that it's the only one I haven't read yet :)

I've also heard it's quite good...:p

allikf
08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I knew LOTF would come up sooner rather than later. I must admit Im not really looking forward to that one (read it in school, didnt care for it much then, maybe it will be better now that Im older.) Any way for October Id really like to read Slaughterhouse 5. The whole unstuck in time thing sounds interesting. Id also be up for Alices Adventures in Wonderland (mostly b/c I already have it and I can read it to my daughter at bed time 2 birds ya know). And I know I mentioned this during the discussion leading up to the September pick, but I think The Turn of the Screw would be a good read. I liked the movie The Others which was loosely (ok very loosely) based on Turn of the Screw.

Tianna
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I think everyone has great ideas for books. I'd love to read all of them. I know it's been mentioned already but definitely the wizard of oz, should work it's way in there sometime. I also like the idea of the shape of things to come.

wehavetogoback
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Slaughterhouse V better win!

Seriously. Then we can compare Billy Pilgrim and Des and how their getting unstuck in time experiences are similar and different.

Sam McPherson
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
You know, I ordered Slaughterhouse V, and then it didn't come in. So now Slaughterhouse is winning. Just my luck.

Sam McPherson
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
And then it came in the mail today. So I'm open to any of the books in the poll above. =]

island redhead
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I've been wanting to get back to Vonnegut, and as manic monoliths said before, Stranger in a Strange Land is an awesome read.

I'm up for any of the books above :D

blueeagleislander
08-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Reading Slaughterhouse for school right now, so if it could coincide, that'd be awesome!

Sam McPherson
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I wish my school was awesome enough to read Slaughterhouse. But no, we're reading A Separate Peace for the second time.

belle42
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I think reading both Alice books in one month might be stretching it. Perhaps if that is voted, let us have two (consecutive) months to read before moving to the next one.
Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth!

Sam McPherson
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Two months of Alice?

Not unless there's an alternate book.

nickb123
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I think reading both Alice books in one month might be stretching it. Perhaps if that is voted, let us have two (consecutive) months to read before moving to the next one.
Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth!
The two Alice books are about 200 pages each, and it should be noted that 400 pages compared to most other singularly books referenced on Lost is quite modest. Thus, it isn't too much of a stretch IMO.

Plus, most editions since 2000 I think combine the two books together in one, so it wouldn't make readers' jobs harder trying to source more than one book a month.

allikf
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
The two Alice books are about 200 pages each, and it should be noted that 400 pages compared to most other singularly books referenced on Lost is quite modest. Thus, it isn't too much of a stretch IMO.

Plus, most editions since 2000 I think combine the two books together in one, so it wouldn't make readers' jobs harder trying to source more than one book a month.

And that's 400 pages of large type with pictures. I read both books a couple of years ago and it only took a day.

Apollo Candy
08-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Anyways.. you can read Alice online!

I found a website with the book.

Sam McPherson
08-06-2008, 11:47 PM
To tell the truth, I'd rather not read alice.

chelsea07
08-07-2008, 03:06 AM
To tell the truth, I'd rather not read alice.

Just curious, why not?

Bentham Lives
08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
And that's 400 pages of large type with pictures. I read both books a couple of years ago and it only took a day.

Because of Lost, I just read Alice a month ago. It is a very fast read. It is also clearly not a children's story. It has BECOME one, but it is loaded with social criticism about the stupidity of manners. I have printed Through the Looking Glass and will be reading it soon. I also just read Slaughterhouse 5 and did not make the Lost connection until after I had read it. It is great.

Sam McPherson
08-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Just curious, why not?

Because I was forced to read it two different times during my school career, and I personally would rather move on to another book I have not read but own, such as VALIS, The Third Policeman, Slaughterhousse-Five, or Stranger in a Strange Land.

chelsea07
08-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Because I was forced to read it two different times during my school career, and I personally would rather move on to another book I have not read but own, such as VALIS, The Third Policeman, Slaughterhousse-Five, or Stranger in a Strange Land.

Oh you got to read it in school? Cool! Well, I suppose that makes sense that you wouldn't want to read it a third time though. :)

booradley
08-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm not reading Carrie, but hoping to reread Flies and jump into the book club in September. So,

...I think The Turn of the Screw would be a good read. I liked the movie The Others which was loosely (ok very loosely) based on Turn of the Screw.

I'm with you allikf - The Turn of The Screw would be ideal. It's deliciously eerie and it's a novella, so it's short.

And just for fun, there's a couple of good film adaptations of the book. The Innocents with Deborah Kerr, and a more recent tv movie with Jodhi May, as well as The Others, which as allikf suggested is more inspired by the book than adapted from it, and I highly recommend The Orphanage.

usmc20032002
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Carrie isn't too hard of a read. I read most of it in one day. Anyone know of a good website where I can download free/cheap books??

etshadow
08-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Can we at least stick to the 40 books on the list. I hear a lot of good books but none of them fit the theme we are going with here.:confused:

des&penny
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok so the NY library system SUCKS, I didn't get Carrie in time even though I ordered it a month ago. BUT, I DO believe that they're holding both LOTF and S5 for me. I hope those 2 are the next ones haha I believe LOTF is?? Yessssssss]. I will be reading Carrie anyway when I actually get it.

As I posted many pages back, I am not a reader AT ALL. This book club got me back into reading, so I thank you all for that. I started out with Are You There God... and Wrinkle In Time, the easy ones. I got through both quickly, and then read Watchmen and started The Third Policeman while I waited for Carrie.

On the subject of The Third Policeman, I just couldn't finish. It is a weird, weird book, full of crazy writing and it's kind of all over the place. And it's not just me talking as a new reader. I showed the book to my girlfriend who goes through a few big books a month, I had her read a page and she's like "I can't do this, the writing sucks, none of it makes sense....etc". I wouldn't necessarily say it sucks, but it is super odd and doesn't really make sense. I don't know if that would be such a good book, but whatever. You can take a gander at it I guess and decide for yourselves, but that's jut my opinion. Thanks again, all.

Kristallregen
08-19-2008, 01:40 AM
i hope we read those books that the Lost Producers shows on their Site. and i hope the Next Book is Slaughterhouse 5. and... WTF is LOTF?

JateisFate09
08-19-2008, 04:29 AM
LOTF = lord of the flies (?)
and i hope its Slaughterhouse Five!! amazing book.

etshadow
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Ok so the NY library system SUCKS, I didn't get Carrie in time even though I ordered it a month ago. BUT, I DO believe that they're holding both LOTF and S5 for me. I hope those 2 are the next ones haha I believe LOTF is?? Yessssssss]. I will be reading Carrie anyway when I actually get it.

As I posted many pages back, I am not a reader AT ALL. This book club got me back into reading, so I thank you all for that. I started out with Are You There God... and Wrinkle In Time, the easy ones. I got through both quickly, and then read Watchmen and started The Third Policeman while I waited for Carrie.

On the subject of The Third Policeman, I just couldn't finish. It is a weird, weird book, full of crazy writing and it's kind of all over the place. And it's not just me talking as a new reader. I showed the book to my girlfriend who goes through a few big books a month, I had her read a page and she's like "I can't do this, the writing sucks, none of it makes sense....etc". I wouldn't necessarily say it sucks, but it is super odd and doesn't really make sense. I don't know if that would be such a good book, but whatever. You can take a gander at it I guess and decide for yourselves, but that's jut my opinion. Thanks again, all.
I understand your plight. I am on Okinawa and I am limited to what in on island. So far I have everthing but I am sure there will be something I can't get. Also the Third Policeman, Trent's Last Case and Turn of the Screw are all difficult to read. I own all three books and have yet to finish just one. As for October I think it would be cool to read Stranger in a Strange Land but I don't remember much on how it would pertain to Lost. However, I have not read S5 at all so it would be a good time to get into it. And for A Wrinkle in Time the only connection I can think of would be number (but those number have a real meaning that we can all figure out). So I finally made my dicision and it is Slaughterhouse 5.

nickb123
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi guys, I have closed the poll and will announce October's book tomorrow during the the live chat for Carrie.

I will then post the name, for those who missed the chat, at the beginning of September at the start of the Lord of the Flies read-time (again, giving you a month's warning).

Thanks to everyone for voting

Bobx66
08-23-2008, 05:05 AM
I am going to be joining in on the book club. While I think there are more relevant books to read for the moment, I do believe we should read Heart of Darkness. I get the feeling that some of the over-arching plot of lost may parallel this book.

island redhead
08-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Drats! I missed the chat!

Kayleia
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Am I okay to sign up for the Book Club now or am I too late? I bought LOTF this morning. :D

nickb123
08-27-2008, 12:31 PM
You don't need to sign up, just read the book and discuss it on the Forums!

Kayleia
08-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Awesome, thanks!

I tried to find Carrie but no where had it. :(

Sayidfan33
09-01-2008, 03:41 AM
I suggest you eventually read the graphic novel Watchmen because I don't think you'll ever find a book with as much an influence on Los as that book. We already have two threads on LP sorta discussing it and the upcoming movie but maybe you should make it part of your Book Club. I know it is a graphic novel but it might be cool as a sorta change of pace sorta thing. Plus Damon is quoted as saying it does have a large influence on Lost. :)

nickb123
09-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Okies, new poll up. I struggled with a fifth choice so just went with Our Mutual Friend, as people mentioned it a lot - even though I think its a tad too long for our book club, but meh I'll let everyone have a say!

lostaddict12
09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
ooh ooh ooh Catch-22, I've been wanting to read that :o

Ya1smine
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Carrie I had no desire to read but I'm extremly happy with Slaughterhouse-Five being October's book. :D After Lord of the Flies another book I've already read recently, saves me time haha.
Catch-22 is certainly one of my favourite books tho I gotta say it's long and progresses slowly so it could be a challenge to finish in one month. Seeing that most people have to work/go to school.

Sayidfan33
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
YA I've attempted to read Catch-22 and it is loooooong :o It was certainly very good and hilarious but I'm not sure it could be finished in a month :o

Anywho what the hell am I doing here? :o I iz not even taking part in this! :eek:

*Runs away* :( :p

Easy
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I voted The Third Policeman as I have recently read that one. :D

Sam McPherson
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Third Policeman

Tupiaz
09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
The Third Policeman

MikeyTay
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm coming around to the idea of Alice in Wonderland. Having thought about it, I would guess it has been one of the most influential books, not just on Lost but on all literature since it was written. Just think how many references to white rabbits and mad hatters there have been in literary fiction and film.

See the wikipedia article Works influenced by Alice in Wonderland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_influenced_by_Alice_in_Wonderland

rmmartins
09-11-2008, 11:59 PM
I'd like to read "on the road", but between alice and the policeman, i'll go with the policeman. I've read alice a billion times, and it's too short... I think we'll waste a month on that.

peterjames
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
what happens if theres a tie??

plz reply.

peterjames
09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
p.s i chose our mutual friend lol

only cause i want to see wat happens in it and if its relevant to desmond going to die..

nickb123
09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
what happens if theres a tie??

plz reply.
If there is a tie then I get to make a final decision - this isn't just a "which does Nick prefer" - I would go through the comments in this thread and check out arguments, as well as look at numbers.

In fact, I could pick one that was 2nd in the poll if the comment arguments were so good (though I probably wouldn't, as that'd most likely annoy a lot of people!!!)

island redhead
09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I chose Our Mutual Friend. Though it seems like it would make a good *last* book to the club. I've been wanting to read this for a while, but something else always catches my eye when I'm looking at books.

etshadow
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Do not get me wrong here. But I think Alice in Wonderland is over used in Lost to read it for the book club. Besides it is my favorite book. The Looking Glass, the White Rabbit just to name a few. I would like to read new things here and discuss them. I also hope to continue even after the season starts. I will be putting in my vote soon after I hear more suggestions and reasons. Thank you all for participating here.

nickb123
09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your votes guys. The poll is now closed, and tomorrow I will decide a book for November. Oohh a tie, suspense!

nickb123
09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Okay guys, the new poll is up for the December read. I've purposefully gone for a total mix this month, and I think it'll be interesting to see what you go for. A brief description on each book:

"A Brief History of Time" is written by Stephen Hawking, and is designed to explain complex physics in easy-to-understand language. The work is non-fiction.

"Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret" was voted by TIME magazine as one of the 100 best English language novels 1923-2005. It centers around Margaret, a young girl/woman trying to find her religious identity and also deal with many teen issues like puberty.

"Catch-22", often viewed as a classic, is a satirical work set during World War II. A long book, its clever design features re-telling of events from different perspectives, allowing insight and intrigue for the reader as they progress through the novel.

"The Invention of Morel" has interesting Lost comparisons - a fugitive on a desert Island in the Polynesia being a key one. One of the characters even theorizes that he is actually in a mental institute (perhaps direct inspiration for the episode "Dave"). A relatively short book, it is translated from Spanish (for those who won't be going native!)

"The Third Policeman", written posthumously, is one of the most well-known books to have been referenced on Lost, as fans especially at Lostpedia seem interested by it. Set in Ireland, we meet a narrator whom we learn little about, and as the book progresses more of his life is revealed through comic experiences.

markno
09-22-2008, 04:07 AM
"The Invention of Morel" - I just read it and it's fanastic. A great choice for our book club, easy quick read that spins your mind

thebigbosh
09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Please can we *not* do Catch 22. I'd love to read it again, but I have to get my own copy back from a friend I lent it to. And she's in England. And I'm not going there for a while! Don't want to buy a new copy!!

blueeagleislander
09-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Why not the library?

peterjames
09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
i voted are u there god? its me margeret, cause the title seems catchy :):)

thebigbosh
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Why not the library?

Location, top right hand corner :p

blueeagleislander
09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Ah ok. :p

Sam McPherson
10-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I wish Watchmen was an option...

gnomon
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If we do read The Third Policeman in December, I strongly advise anyone who hasn't read it yet to not read the introduction until after you've finished the book. You'll really get more bang for your emotional/intellectual buck that way.

JabbatheHutt15
10-11-2008, 04:30 AM
VALIS by Philip K. Dick or more Stephen King

Sam McPherson
10-12-2008, 12:35 AM
VALIS by Philip K. Dick or more Stephen King

Just finished Valis yesterday.

AMAZING stuff.

thebigbosh
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
when do we decide December read? pretty soon, n?

nickb123
10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
when do we decide December read? pretty soon, n?
Tomorrow as a matter of fact :)

I've had a very busy month, but not forgotten!

myxzlplkts
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I wish Watchmen was an option...

Amen to that! Great Great comic book but so much more.

nickb123
10-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Tomorrow as a matter of fact :)

I've had a very busy month, but not forgotten!
Crud crud crud. Irony not lost. Famous last words, all that.

Closing the poll, and will announce the December read on November 1st ;)

There will definitely also be a January book, but after that I think we're gonna hold the horses for Lost's return.

Pablo2k
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I would recommend you all get on to reading Island by Aldous Huxley. Parts of it stuck out a mile as being Lost related when I read it.

thebigbosh
10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
There will definitely also be a January book, but after that I think we're gonna hold the horses for Lost's return.

Why stop? Lost is going to take up no more than an additional hour a week (ok, and maybe a little more discussing it for those hardcore fans) - why can't we just keep deciding on books to read and discuss. After all, there's quite a few to get through, and I'm sure the new season will bring a whole raft of new ones!

I, for one, am really enjoying this. Gives me the opportunity to read new and different books, and spend ages explaining to people why I'm in a book club and why I would want to read all the books featured in Lost! BOSHHHH :D