PDA

View Full Version : "A Brief History of Time" is May's read. Propose future reads here!

nickb123
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Watchmen will be the read for January 09, and the book club will continue running all through Season 5 and potentially beyond if interest remains. Rather than voting on short-listed titles, however, we will now have qualitative arguments on what future books should be read, and we'll make decisions from there. If this means creating a set schedule then so be it.

This method should expand the literature we read, and hopefully mean we read some of the more obscure books explicitly referenced on Lost, even if they don't necessarily have huge popularity with mainstream readers. So get discussing guys, and I for one look forward to reading your passionate responses!

blueeagleislander
12-06-2008, 01:03 AM
It would be great to have Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island as one of the books. Quite a few connections to Lost, and available free at Wikisource.

MikeyTay
12-06-2008, 11:47 AM
It would be great to have Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island as one of the books. Quite a few connections to Lost, and available free at Wikisource.

The premise of The Mysterious Island certainly seems interesting and very relevant to Lost but after reading 20,000 Leagues under the sea when I was younger, I was completely put off Jules Verne. I don't know if you've read any of his other books but 20,000 leagues was very tedious and slow, full of useless description that just slowed the progression of the plot, which would have been a lot more interesting if the book had been half the size. I don't know how thick The Mysterious Island is though.

I would like to read Homer's Odyssey as this has a strong connection to Desmond's plot line, although again, I imagine it would be a fairly long read.

For anbody who hasn't read it, I would definitely recommend Of Mice and Men, which was quoted by Ben in Every Man for Himself. It is one of my all time favourite books but I haven't read it since school and I would love to read it again.

an other
12-06-2008, 10:24 PM
The premise of The Mysterious Island certainly seems interesting and very relevant to Lost but after reading 20,000 Leagues under the sea when I was younger, I was completely put off Jules Verne. I don't know if you've read any of his other books but 20,000 leagues was very tedious and slow, full of useless description that just slowed the progression of the plot, which would have been a lot more interesting if the book had been half the size. I don't know how thick The Mysterious Island is though.

I read The Mysterious Island over the summer. I had heard that Jules Verne can be pretty tedious and very descriptive, so I was wary, but it ended up being a fun read. The action is well paced, and when he did what to explain the science of something, it was done in context and didn't go on longer than necessary . It made me think about how I'd fare on a uncharted island. In reading it I found some connections to the Lost world but in the end I enjoyed the book on it's own merits. I'd recommend it.

What about "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce? John Locke pulled it off the bookcase in the Hatch. It's very short, no more than a few pages. So it might need to be paired with something else. It's available from Project Gutenburg and a few other places online. He also has a story called "Psychological Shipwreck" that is quote good.

peterjames
12-07-2008, 09:15 AM
i want to read our mutual friend.
im just curious to see what its about, bein that it was the last book desmon intended to read :)

Leiaor
12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi! I'm planning on joining the BC discussions next month--maybe sooner if I have time. I am very excited about the choice of "Watchmen" because although it has to be one of the most depressing books I've ever read, I think it has strong parallels to "Lost" and may point to how the series will end. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it.

nickb123
12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce would be an interesting choice for February? x

plkrtn
12-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Watchmen?
Oh yeah please. I already own it. First time this has happened in the Book Club.
Absolutely fantastic read. Didn't put it down from start to finish.... With the movie out in March too, its a great call!

GlassBallerina
12-17-2008, 05:08 PM
WATCHMEN!!
I love Watchmen..
:):) It's just brilliant :D

island redhead
12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Sweet!

I get to dig out my old copy. It's a great influence of the show, and an awesome read!:D

JabbatheHutt15
12-18-2008, 01:44 PM
The Stand by Stephen King

MikeyTay
12-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Has anyone read the new Stephen King novel, Duma Key?

It's supposedly about a man who moves to a mysterious island to escape his past. He then starts to here whispers from beneath his house. Sound familiar?

I thought it might be worth checking out?

diggler
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
This is weird cuz I'm reading this for the first time right now!

MikeyTay
12-26-2008, 11:59 AM
I think, seeing as how it came second in the vote this month and it generally seems to be fairly popular choice anyway, 'The Stand' would be a safe bet for February.

nickb123
01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with "The Stand". Keep posting ideas though for March etc!

Oceanic11
01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with "The Stand". Keep posting ideas though for March etc!

Haha, what a coincidence, I got the book for Christmas :D Good choice!

theotherbilly
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Has anyone read the new Stephen King novel, Duma Key?

It's supposedly about a man who moves to a mysterious island to escape his past. He then starts to here whispers from beneath his house. Sound familiar?

I thought it might be worth checking out?

It's alright, not quite what you might be expecting though. It has its moments just like with any novel, but overall I'd give it a C+.
His next project is called "Under The Dome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome)" and is huge. From what I know about it I think it'll be classic King :)

markno
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce would be great to read, especially as we've been told in advance that it'll be in season five. Also it's been recently quoted in the ARG ... couldn't be a better time to read it.

ivan815
01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I think that for "the stand" would nice to have two months to read it 'cause it's a pretty long book. The italian version is almost 900 pages long. I don't know if we can do an exception for the next month.

Oceanic11
01-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I think that for "the stand" would nice to have two months to read it 'cause it's a pretty long book. The italian version is almost 900 pages long. I don't know if we can do an exception for the next month.

I've got the English Complete and Uncut Edition, which is about 1140 pages :eek:

fakefakeflowers
01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I/m so stoked that The Stand is going to be the book for February.
I/m a huge Stephan King fan.
I just hope I can tear myself away from the Dark Tower series in order to read "The Stand."
It is quite long.

markno
01-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I voted earlier to read Ulysses next, but tried to read it this week. It is a terrible book - the only book I've EVER been unable to read. Let's NEVER read this book for LLL

ivan815
01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I think that Catch-22 would be a great book to read. It appears in season 3, when Naomi arrives to the Island. It is also in the time's list of "best 100 novels" of the century.

markno
01-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Yes Catch 22 would be great. It's a fantastic read

plkrtn
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Yes, I thought it might take a little longer than a month too actually. Its certainly chunky...

Also, which version? There are quite a few. I have the unabridged 1100 page one like Oceanic11.

ivan815
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, I thought it might take a little longer than a month too actually. Its certainly chunky...

Also, which version? There are quite a few. I have the unabridged 1100 page one like Oceanic11.

Well, I'm from Italy so I've got the italian version, 'cause my English is not god enough to read The Stand.
Considering that lots of us study or work the time for a good book is not much in a month, excpecially if we are talking about this Stephen King's novel.

Lucy815
01-17-2009, 02:52 AM
I just bought The Stand and mine is 823 pages. Okay guys, I better love this book. :p

dilwhodie
01-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Is anyone allowed to join this shindig or is it a leet thing?

I've read the book but I've been fixing on reading it again and this would push me towards actually doing it.

Way to pick the longest book for the shortest month btw ;)

blueeagleislander
01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Is anyone allowed to join this shindig or is it a leet thing?

Both! :D

Lucy815
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Remind me ... what is the connection between Lost and The Stand? :confused:

Empty
01-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Read the first three chapters in The Stand and you'll start to see why it's arguably the biggest single influence on lost. As it goes on you'll see many point for point imitations.

Lucy815
01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Awesome. Thanks, Empty.

I did just start reading it and it's a great read so far!

RichardAlpert'sPartyPants
01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I just hope I can tear myself away from the Dark Tower series in order to read "The Stand.".

It's worth it. The Stand is a solid book that's definitely worth your time, and tends to have more in common with the Dark Tower series than King's typical horror type stuff.

I mean, ultimately the Dark Tower books win over The Stand, but I think reading the Stand is a nice little break from the Dark Tower universe.

Sadly I don't think I'm going to go back and read the 1100+ pages of The Stand, and since the last time I read it was a couple of years ago, I doubt I'll be able to add much to the discussion.

But I'd encourage everyone to read it. Great, great stuff.

Ohms
01-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Dark

effing

Tower.

One of the best books (or series of books) I've ever read, and hugely influential on LOST in my opinion. Gets a little bit dodgy towards the end (which is where i'm at, book 6 of 7) but still sooooo LOST-like with its time travelling and cool characters.

I was reading Song of Susannah today where a character asks Eddie, one of the main characters who has travelled back in time to 1977: 'do the Red Sox ever win the title' (or something similar) which just really resonated with me when I thought about Season 3 with Jack's ongoing thing about the sox never winning the title then Ben shows him in the hydra.

So yeah. Dark Tower please. :D

Lucy815
01-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Will someone remind me how the book club works? I read Carrie with everyone and then got too busy at work to keep up with the book club. Arrgh .. hate when work interferes with my LOST time!! Should I try to finish The Stand by the beginning of February or do we discuss as we read ... though that would cause a lot spoiler issues, right?

Jacobismyhomeboy
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
how do we join? I would love to be a part of this.

LoRab
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I/m so stoked that The Stand is going to be the book for February.
I just hope I can tear myself away from the Dark Tower series in order to read "The Stand."
It is quite long.

It's worth it. The Stand is a solid book that's definitely worth your time, and tends to have more in common with the Dark Tower series than King's typical horror type stuff.

I mean, ultimately the Dark Tower books win over The Stand, but I think reading the Stand is a nice little break from the Dark Tower universe.

Sadly I don't think I'm going to go back and read the 1100+ pages of The Stand, and since the last time I read it was a couple of years ago, I doubt I'll be able to add much to the discussion.

But I'd encourage everyone to read it. Great, great stuff.

Dark

effing

Tower.

One of the best books (or series of books) I've ever read, and hugely influential on LOST in my opinion. Gets a little bit dodgy towards the end (which is where i'm at, book 6 of 7) but still sooooo LOST-like with its time travelling and cool characters.

I was reading Song of Susannah today where a character asks Eddie, one of the main characters who has travelled back in time to 1977: 'do the Red Sox ever win the title' (or something similar) which just really resonated with me when I thought about Season 3 with Jack's ongoing thing about the sox never winning the title then Ben shows him in the hydra.

So yeah. Dark Tower please. :D

Don't think of it as a break from Dark Tower...The Stand is closely connected to the DT books. They even go Todash into the reality of The Stand in Wizard and Glass (I'm pretty sure it's in Wizard and Glass...). That probably didn't need spoiler tags, but better safe than sorry, for the purists out there.

Also, I would make the argument that you can't fully understand the Dark Tower without reading King's other related books--especially The Stand, 'Salem's Lot and Eyes of the Dragon...the other books that connect, imho, aren't as essential.

I'm also in my own reread of Dark Tower, including the other books...I had actually started The Stand (it's my third read of the book) in late November and I'm actually thinking that I might be done by February.

Ohms
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Lost Rabbi.

I was aware that there was a connection but didn't know they were that closely connected. 'The Stand' is definitely next on my to-read list after 'Tower. I love Flagg's character so am looking forward to seeing more of him in that book.

markno
01-28-2009, 02:10 AM
I have taken a break from the dark tower universe to read the Stand, am 300+ pages into it. Am enjoying the Stand but can't wait to finish the Dark Tower books. I reckon I'll have the stand finished within the week - I'm a quick reader - I wonder if everyone else will have it read in time to have discussions in Feb???

MikeyTay
01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Is everyone reading the dark tower series at the moment?
I'm also half way through it. I just finished 'Wizard and Glass' in time to start 'The Stand'.

Lucy815
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm about half way through The Stand.

Samantha51
01-29-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm new to this forum, but not to THE STAND. I've read it many times. Both the shorter first published book and the reissued version with the things the editor first took out. It would be an excellent choice, and you will not be sorry you read it.

Samantha51
01-29-2009, 12:20 AM
It took so long between DARK TOWER books that by the time I got one, i felt I had to go back and refresh my memory. Then I just waited until I got them all and was going to start over. I never have gotten to them. I guess I better get off my rear and read them. I'll forget about DUMA KEY for now since someone gave it only a C+.

RichardAlpert'sPartyPants
01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Is everyone reading the dark tower series at the moment?
I'm also half way through it. I just finished 'Wizard and Glass' in time to start 'The Stand'.

Seems like everyone is. Also, Wizard and Glass is amazing. Probably my favorite of the entire series. The next three are good....but man W&G is a real standout.

TheAntiHippie
01-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Seems like everyone is. Also, Wizard and Glass is amazing. Probably my favorite of the entire series. The next three are good....but man W&G is a real standout.

A real... stand out you say?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Also, a month is definitely not long enough to read the stand (not the uncut version anyways). I consider myself a pretty quick reader, and it took me a month and a half. So...
Yeah.

It is, however, my favorite book of all time. So... good choice.

MikeyTay
01-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Yeah Wizard and Glass was good but I thought it was way too long. There was so much towards the middle that could have been taken out.

fotografia
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM
A real... stand out you say?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Also, a month is definitely not long enough to read the stand (not the uncut version anyways). I consider myself a pretty quick reader, and it took me a month and a half. So...
Yeah.

It is, however, my favorite book of all time. So... good choice.

Yeah, maybe a month isn't going to be long enough for everyone. Plus, the way the book back and forths a lot , especially in "Captain Trips", I think it'd benefit people a lot to have the time to be able to full devour that section.

Perhaps, it might be an idea to have one month dedicated to "Captain Trips" then the next month reserved for "On the Border" and "The Stand", as the latter third is much much shorter. Just a thought though.

nickb123
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the great discussion guys. I've decided that, on the basis of discussion, the most suitable book for February should be Ulysses by James Joyce. Please continue idea throwing about what could be March's book!

Desiree
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Just wondering when the book of the month is announced? such as, when will you decide on April's book?

Kain067
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Whoa, good luck folks. Ulysses is my favorite book of all time, and I've read it about 5 times. But good luck with it. For one, finishing it in a month will be very, very difficult. For two, understanding it will be a challenge. It has kept scholars busy for nearly a century. But it is unbelievably rewarding. I would consider the book one of the top achievements of the Western world.

For help, I would strongly suggest frequently referring to this site as you read:

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/ulysses/

I'm so glad many people will be introduced to this phenomenal book!

Desiree
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh and I can't find Ulysses on the LOST book club list...is it there? or do you guys choose books that do not necessarily have to be on that list?

blueeagleislander
02-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Desiree, it hasn't been in the show...yet.

nickb123
02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Just wondering when the book of the month is announced? such as, when will you decide on April's book?
We announce future titles a month in advance. So, for example, we would announce April's book on March 1st. This gives people time to source the book. We debated having a fixed list months and months in advance - but people were happy with a month's notice. Also it keeps discussion alive more when future titles aren't set in stone.

Oh and I can't find Ulysses on the LOST book club list...is it there? or do you guys choose books that do not necessarily have to be on that list?
This one is interesting. Damon Lindelof said that Ulysses will appear in Season 5 in the background, like many books featured on LOST do (apologies if I've just spoiled you, but come on MINOR - and Lindelof himself authorized the "spoiler"). I think it's interesting to read considering the book hasn't been featured yet - in keeping with Season 5's time warp theme... it hasn't happened yet!!!!!

Desiree
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Cool. Many thanks

fuller
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe wait till June for Ulysses to coincide better with Bloomsday?

MikeyTay
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I think we should read the Wizrd of Oz next. It's mentioned/referenced several times in the show, I think it was fairly popular when it was a choice on one of the polls and also there was a large reference to it in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which a lot of us also seem to be working are way through at the moment.

I've.got.Arzt.on.me
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Looking forward to reading this book. It seems very intriguing.

thebigbosh
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Ulysses was the book Ben was reading on the plane... surely there will be more involvement of the book than just this though right? And it's been linked into the wiki now with a whole load of info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)

As for me, I'm well behind the list having spent January and February eating away at my xmas books whilst waiting for Jan/Feb/Mar reads to arrive from Amazon USA. So I'm now onto the Stand and aiming to plough through it. We'll see how that goes... it's the long uncut version!!

April I'd like to recommend Stranger in a Strange Land... simply a great book that I've read already, wouldn't mind reading again, and it might give me some time to catch up ;)!!

MikeyTay
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
April I'd like to recommend Stranger in a Strange Land... simply a great book that I've read already, wouldn't mind reading again, and it might give me some time to catch up ;)!!

I'd be up for that, it sounds like a cool premise.

LieslB
03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm working on a piece about Literary references on popular TV shows and came across your book club. I'd love to chat with anyone about the club (how it came to be etc.)
If you are interested, please contact me at Liesl.Bradner@latimes.com or 213/237-5861

nickb123
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys, gonna go with Catch-22 for April. Yeah it's hella long (get it, "Heller"... lame...) but hopefully it's well-written-ness will more than make up for that

Blost14
03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys, gonna go with Catch-22 for April. Yeah it's hella long (get it, "Heller"... lame...) but hopefully it's well-written-ness will more than make up for that

I haven't been too active with the LBC, but I happened to notice Catch-22 was April's read and I actually just finished it. Hope everyone enjoys it.

CTS
03-07-2009, 01:33 AM
This is kind of funny...

I'm near the end of Catch-22 right now :D

I have to read it for school...:)

ovechkin08
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM
This is kind of funny...

I'm near the end of Catch-22 right now :D

I have to read it for school...:)

Is it a good book?

Right now I'm reading Slaughterhouse-Five (a little late i know :o) for all of the time travel aspects and I'm really enjoying it so far.

CTS
03-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Is it a good book?

Right now I'm reading Slaughterhouse-Five (a little late i know :o) for all of the time travel aspects and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Catch-22 is pretty good (a little strange, but good :))

As for SH-5, I really did NOT like that book....:o:/

ovechkin08
03-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Catch-22 is pretty good (a little strange, but good :))

As for SH-5, I really did NOT like that book....:o:/

Really? I love the time jumps. Reminds me of Des every time:)

Although I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of "So it goes."

CTS
03-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Really? I love the time jumps. Reminds me of Des every time:)

Although I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of "So it goes."
I did enjoy the similarities to LOST...

...but as a whole, the satire, characters, and storyline was terrible, I thought...

Blost14
03-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Slaughterhouse was the next book on my list of books to read. Wow, I'm kinda feeling a little discouraged lol.

I'm reading The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne right now and it's taking me forever lol.

I'm not sure if this was already chosen for a read yet, but Lost Horizon was a pretty neat book.. might be good for a future read if it hasn't been one yet. (Sorry i didnt search before creating the post).

mamacasselliot
03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi,I'm new here! I love the books that are read on Lost! I found a copy of ''the fountainhead'' yesterday at a yardsale! It made my day!
I read the first three chapters and I must say it is quite interesting!
I don't know if I'm gonna finish it now,I'm already reading: Turn of the Screw,Are you there God..,Odd Thomas,Peter Pan,Inkspell,The secret adversary and The Devil wears Prada.

This is not show off. I just can't decide on which to read first.

ovechkin08
03-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Slaughterhouse was the next book on my list of books to read. Wow, I'm kinda feeling a little discouraged lol.

Don't feel discouraged! Slaughterhouse was awesome!:D

Blost14
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't feel discouraged! Slaughterhouse was awesome!:D

Good! I think that is next on the list then (depending on when I finish the one I'm on). I plan on also reading The Stand this summer, when I get a break from school and stuff. I just didn't have the time to read it when the LBC picked it.

NotInOxford
03-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Shouldn't Catch-22 have been the last book we read before Lost(aka our lives) end? ;):D

markno
03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
We should read "The Island of Dr Moreau" it's fantastic

nickb123
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys - I've decided to impose my own opinion for May with "A Brief History of Time" - as there wasn't many other options available right now. Please add your opinions about future reads here!

K8 of the north
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys - I've decided to impose my own opinion for May with "A Brief History of Time" - as there wasn't many other options available right now. Please add your opinions about future reads here!

Outstanding.

Shiver me timbers, this is going to be great fun! :)

Edit: Seeing as how when the show concludes a little part of me is going to die and since I have never read it, I am considering reading Desmond's fave,
Our Mutual Friend during the last month of the show's last season next year.

It will be a bitter-sweet tribute to the creators. Maybe it will help me not to feel so lost when the final music swells and crashes on the beach for the last time.

Then again, maybe I should find out what it's about first.

paolo89
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
"A Brief History of Time" it's a great book!!
if you don't know anything about physics, don't worry

it is explained well, it's not difficult

I used this book for my high school exam "time travel"

markno
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
So glad we are doing "A Brief History of Time" It was the first book I started reading when I undertook the Lost reading adventure. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about it.
Also, I'm still voting for "The Island of Dr Moreau" for future reads - it's quite short and easy to read, which might be a nice break after the last two months.
Also - I am loving Catch 22, it's my third read and it gets better every time I read it!

Sam McPherson
04-07-2009, 04:18 AM
I propose VALIS, The Shape of Things to Come, or Stranger in a Strange Land as future reads.

3th0s
04-07-2009, 06:37 AM
UHHHH

shouldn't the Don Juan book that Ben gave Sayid be the book for April or March?

Seems rather timely and poignant, as well as being a phenomenal book on existentialism and the meaning of life through the scope of hallucinogens.

The Glue
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I propose VALIS, The Shape of Things to Come, or Stranger in a Strange Land as future reads.

Speaking of VALIS, have you guys read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? yet?

I can understand a lot of the similarities between The Stand and LOST. I recommend the 800+ page abridged version over the unabridged 1200+ pager, though.

Stephen King can fill five pages front to back single spaced just to describe someone getting out of a chair to change the channel on their television...

paolo89
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I am reading "The moon pool"
there are many connections, so why don't we read this book?

thebigbosh
04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I actually enjoyed The Stand long version and stopped noticing the extended bits after getting into it... question for the guys: what books have we seen so far in season 5 apart from Ulysses and Don Juan?

Easy
04-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I am reading "The moon pool"
there are many connections, so why don't we read this book?

is it an easy read ?

paolo89
04-19-2009, 06:02 PM
is it an easy read ?

yes;)