PDA

View Full Version : Life and Death Of J. Bentham Canadian promo

Locke's Destiny
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Do not go to this link if you don't want to know major information from the next episode. I'll wrap in spoiler tags just to be sure.

http://www.docarzt.com/lost-spoilers/lost-promo-epi-5x07-ctv/

lost for words
02-21-2009, 11:41 PM
That's not really a spoiler if it's actually been shown right? This the promo after last Wednesday's episode.

Mykee
02-22-2009, 12:02 AM
promo/previews are considered spoilers on this forum.

DHARMA-Shark
02-22-2009, 12:41 AM
I have never been as excited for an episode of anything as I am for "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham."

Wednesday cannot come soon enough.

Locke's Destiny
02-22-2009, 05:50 AM
It's different from the American promo.

In this version:

Locke is asked by Sayid's captor why no one remembers him on the plane and he says he doesn't remember either. He is then asked the last thing he remembers, and he says "Dying."
This promo basically just told us that he is alive after flight 316.

Tesphen
02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
YAY! Locke has a conversation with Widmore!!! :)

That looks like a very nice car crash, as well. Can't wait. :D

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
It's different from the American promo.

In this version:

Locke is asked by Sayid's captor why no one remembers him on the plane and he says he doesn't remember either. He is then asked the last thing he remembers, and he says "Dying."
This promo basically just told us that he is alive after flight 316.

That's what they want us to believe, but don't you think that kind of reveal is a bit to huge for a promo?

I think they are setting us up for one of the bigger swerves in the history of the show. I am starting to think that scene is part of his road to getting back to the O6, and he's actually talking as "Jeremy Bentham". The plane is 815, not 316.

neddac
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Flight = Ajira 316

So do you think he's in ghost form here?

I'm unsure as to what you mean by still living as Jeremy Bentham. That was just a pseudonym as John Locke's records say that he died on Flight 815.

neddac
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
*Penny Drops

You mean that the conversation with Sayid's capture could be happening Pre-Suicide and that she (and the other new character) had some dealings with Locke before Ajira 316??

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Flight = Ajira 316

So do you think he's in ghost form here?

I'm unsure as to what you mean by still living as Jeremy Bentham. That was just a pseudonym as John Locke's records say that he died on Flight 815.

I'm saying I think that scene actually takes place while he's assumed the name "Jeremy Bentham" and it takes place before the Ajira flight, not after.

Because if he's alive and well and NOT a ghost on the island, then that means the island can reproduce the organs you lose when you're enbalmed, as well as all your blood. It would, quite frankly, be a huge "jump the shark" moment for LOST.

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
*Penny Drops

You mean that the conversation with Sayid's capture could be happening Pre-Suicide and that she (and the other new character) had some dealings with Locke before Ajira 316??

Yes, as far as she is concerned. I'm not sure about the new male character, as far as interaction with Locke goes.

~Sloth~
02-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I'll say what I said in the thread about the American promo, I find it highly unlikely that this is anything other than what it appears to be. You're saying that after leaving the Island, Locke happens to be in another plane crash, panics and assumes he's dying, gets knocked on the head and forgets he was in a plane crash, but still "remember[s] dying"? And then later on he does die and his body ends up on the same plane as Ilana again? I'm not buying it.

But then again, this is Lost...

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll say what I said in the thread about the American promo, I find it highly unlikely that this is anything other than what it appears to be. You're saying that after leaving the Island, Locke happens to be in another plane crash, panics and assumes he's dying, gets knocked on the head and forgets he was in a plane crash, but still "remember[s] dying"? And then later on he does die and his body ends up on the same plane as Ilana again? I'm not buying it.

But then again, this is Lost...

No, I'm saying she's discussing 815 with "Jeremy Bentham", who the O6 claim was never on the flight.

~Sloth~
02-22-2009, 06:36 PM
No, I'm saying she's discussing 815 with "Jeremy Bentham", who the O6 claim was never on the flight.

But if Locke really were trying to convince someone that he died on 815 and came back to life, wouldn't he use his real name? Granted, the O6 would still deny it, but it was Locke's idea to lie in the first place, the alias was to prevent people from knowing the truth. Why is he telling her he was on 815?

You get major points for coming up with a good alternate explanation for that scene, but there's just too many holes in the logic to convince me.

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
But if Locke really were trying to convince someone that he died on 815 and came back to life, wouldn't he use his real name? Granted, the O6 would still deny it, but it was Locke's idea to lie in the first place, the alias was to prevent people from knowing the truth. Why is he telling her he was on 815?

You get major points for coming up with a good alternate explanation for that scene, but there's just too many holes in the logic to convince me.

Yeah, it's by no means a fleshed out theory. he may have told her to try and strongarm the O6 to leave with him. She may be investigating their official story. Or she may be working for Widmore, who we see John talking with.

At the end of the day, I just don't see them making such a big revelation in a promo (I mean, most of us jumped to this conclusion right off the bat), and I don't see John being ressurected as a physically living, breathing human being. His body was embalmed, which means it's lost several vital organs and is filled with fermaldahyde. The island may have curative properties, but reproducing vital organs is a little bit much.

Locke's Destiny
02-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it's by no means a fleshed out theory. he may have told her to try and strongarm the O6 to leave with him. She may be investigating their official story. Or she may be working for Widmore, who we see John talking with.

At the end of the day, I just don't see them making such a big revelation in a promo (I mean, most of us jumped to this conclusion right off the bat), and I don't see John being ressurected as a physically living, breathing human being. His body was embalmed, which means it's lost several vital organs and is filled with fermaldahyde. The island may have curative properties, but reproducing vital organs is a little bit much.

The problem with what your saying is that there has been no actual proof that he was embalmed. When has this ever been stated in the show ? It may have been implied that he was embalmed, but that happens all the time in LOST. Everything is guesswork, but I wouldn't rule out the notion that Locke was left as is so that he could be resurrected/ reincarnated.

New Otherton
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
The problem with what your saying is that there has been no actual proof that he was embalmed. When has this ever been stated in the show ? It may have been implied that he was embalmed, but that happens all the time in LOST. Everything is guesswork, but I wouldn't rule out the notion that Locke was left as is so that he could be resurrected/ reincarnated.

Yeah, I suppose it's possible, but if he is in fact dead and not embalmed, it wouldn't take long for the thing to start reeking, meaning putting it on display for all to see (and smell) in a funeral home wouldn't be the wisest thing in the world.

claytonmcd
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's possible, but if he is in fact dead and not embalmed, it wouldn't take long for the thing to start reeking, meaning putting it on display for all to see (and smell) in a funeral home wouldn't be the wisest thing in the world.

This discussion about embalming/death is irrelevant. That doesn't matter when you are talking about the island. It is a mystical thing or a spiritual thing. He is resurrected/reincarnated, whatever you want to call it. If your organs were removed they would be back and working fine after the resurrection.

New Otherton
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
This discussion about embalming/death is irrelevant. That doesn't matter when you are talking about the island. It is a mystical thing or a spiritual thing. He is resurrected/reincarnated, whatever you want to call it. If your organs were removed they would be back and working fine after the resurrection.

If he was reincarnated, he wouldn't be John Locke. reincarnation is not the same thing as ressurection.

As for the islands curative properties, the idea that it can regrow vital organs is a drastic leap over healing gun shots. It's quite frankly a silly idea, and I really, REALLY hope the writers know this.

Mykee
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
At the end of the day, I just don't see them making such a big revelation in a promo (I mean, most of us jumped to this conclusion right off the bat)

You just said it yourself, everyone already assumes it's going to happen anyways so how is it such a huge revelation when most people expect it to be happening anyways?

The lady said nobody remembers him from the crash, because he was in a casket below them.. on Ajira 316!

SparrowJacob
02-23-2009, 05:35 PM

While I agree with the sentiment here.... that if it was a spiritual thing 100% then it wouldn't matter how badly damaged the body might be... in fact.. I would go so far as to say that if it were 100% spiritual you wouldn't need the body at all... but, LOST tends.. (and i use that word in specific) to have a logical science fiction answer to questions so While I agree that we will see some sort of resurrection I think that there's a reason his body needs to be present and therefor some real physical reason for this resurrection... not just "make it so" from some unknown deity.. who in my head sounds a lot like Patrick Stewart.

saxon. the don.
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
i love how this thread is such a tongue-in-cheek mockery of the spoiler policy of this site

-the fact that it is in the major spoilers section
-the fact that even though it is in the major spoilers section, he still wraps the link in tags :D

to be fair though, this promo is a pretty big spoiler :eek:

SparrowJacob
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm gonna go way off topic here saxon and say... what a fantastic avatar you have.... tell me you brought the golf shoes...

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

Zen Island
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't understand those saying bringing Locke "back to life" would be a step too far.

This is a show thats mixed science fiction with drama almost from the beginning, we've seen time travel, moving islands, dead people as ghosts having conversations, i think its a bit too late to give up on the show because they do something thats unrealistic we're way past that point.

On the preview i don't think they're trying to trick us, Locke is seemingly alive talking to Ilana on what looks very much like the island. The end shot of Locke staring into the ocean pretty much confirms hes on the island (im guessing in the present time)

Obviously its going to be interesting how they explain that happening, but i think being critical on the grounds that its unrealistic just doesn't apply to this show.

Locke's Destiny
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't understand those saying bringing Locke "back to life" would be a step too far.

This is a show thats mixed science fiction with drama almost from the beginning, we've seen time travel, moving islands, dead people as ghosts having conversations, i think its a bit too late to give up on the show because they do something thats unrealistic we're way past that point.

On the preview i don't think they're trying to trick us, Locke is seemingly alive talking to Ilana on what looks very much like the island. The end shot of Locke staring into the ocean pretty much confirms hes on the island (im guessing in the present time)

Obviously its going to be interesting how they explain that happening, but i think being critical on the grounds that its unrealistic just doesn't apply to this show.

On top of this, has anyone noticed all the religious undertones that are coming up so much more often? I don't even think you can call them undertones anymore. Does it not appear to anyone else that Locke is being compared to Jesus? Although I do not believe in the resurrection of Jesus, I understand the concept of what was said to have happened. Is it that much of a stretch to base a character's story line off of a figure that millions pray to? I would think that by comparing him to Jesus it would make it easier for people to believe that Locke will come back to life.

Jeremiah "Wes" King
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
If he was reincarnated, he wouldn't be John Locke. reincarnation is not the same thing as ressurection.

As for the islands curative properties, the idea that it can regrow vital organs is a drastic leap over healing gun shots. It's quite frankly a silly idea, and I really, REALLY hope the writers know this.
As silly as the island curing cancer?

Don't even need to regrow an organ just heal their bodies so that they no longer need w/e organ in question.

saxon. the don.
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
On top of this, has anyone noticed all the religious undertones that are coming up so much more often? I don't even think you can call them undertones anymore. Does it not appear to anyone else that Locke is being compared to Jesus? Although I do not believe in the resurrection of Jesus, I understand the concept of what was said to have happened. Is it that much of a stretch to base a character's story line off of a figure that millions pray to? I would think that by comparing him to Jesus it would make it easier for people to believe that Locke will come back to life.

yeah I agree they have been increasing the amount of religious symbolism and references lately, which I am not necessarily against if they do it right and have it an all-encompassing thing that would include all religions. Damon is Jewish after all, so I'm sure they will. I could see them combining Bhuddism/Hinduism/Paganism and the Judeo-Christian form of God... maybe it will turn out that Jacob is "God" :eek: :eek:

m8o
02-23-2009, 11:09 PM
My theory of the scene we saw a flash of with Locke putting a make-shift noose around his neck and Ben on his knees before him...

Locke chickens out... Ben kicks the chair out from under him before Locke gets the noose off.

;)

New Otherton
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
As silly as the island curing cancer?

Don't even need to regrow an organ just heal their bodies so that they no longer need w/e organ in question.

Rose only thinks her Cancer has gone into remission. She feels that's the case, but she's been given no medical proof, from what I remember. However, the plane interacted with radiation on a massive scale... what helps kill cancer, again?

As for walking around without organs or blood, that's not a human being... that's a zombie.

Hmm, perhaps this is the beginning of the zombie season?

searchparty7
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Everyone one assumes that Locke was truly dead. However, he may not really be dead. We will hopefully find out next week for sure, but the promo shows someone else in the room, maybe Ben, when Locke was "staging" his suicide. This means that it may not have been a genuine suicide attempt. It's possible that Locke could have simply been sedated. Remember what happened to Sayid when he was hit with those darts back in "The Lie". In "The Little Prince" Jack told him that he had been unconscious for 42 hours. Yet, he appeared dead to the untrained eye. Also, remember that the "Medusa Spiders" made Nikki & Paulo appear dead (and these spiders were supposedly the smoke monster).

It's possible that Locke was merely made to "appear dead". Back in "Because You Left", Jack asked Ben if Locke was really dead and Ben remained silent. When Jack opened Locke's coffin in last week's episode, he didn't even look dead, but rather, unconscious. Of course, I don't know how much time had elapsed between Jeremy Bentham's "death" and the Ajira flight, but it seems to me that Locke may have been "sedated" and made to appear dead in order for him to be a "substitute" for Christian Shephard on the flight.

scottishlass
02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Meaning that Christian was also "sedated", right? I believe this too and that "they" have done this before with flight 815.

Mykee
02-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Meaning that Christian was also "sedated", right? I believe this too and that "they" have done this before with flight 815.

Christian was definitely dead. When we first see him on the island Jack chases him into the woods, if Christian was alive a) he wouldn't have his back faced and slowly keep walking ahead and B) Jack would have easily caught up to him.

He was playing games with Jack, luring him into the woods.

Not to mention the random appearance he made on the freighter telling Michael it was time for him to die. That was certainly not a live Christian.

Jeremiah "Wes" King
02-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Christian was definitely dead. When we first see him on the island Jack chases him into the woods, if Christian was alive a) he wouldn't have his back faced and slowly keep walking ahead and B) Jack would have easily caught up to him.
Unless he has special powers like Walt and can make himself appear in two places or more at once.

Lostie333
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Wasnt there an episode where Eko was listening to the recording of a girl who came back to life at the Autopsy table when they thought she was dead?

I think there was rumor she screamed something about Locke as well.

akrovaka
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
what about the medusa spider? Guaranteed paralysis for 8 hours.

saxon. the don.
02-25-2009, 01:51 AM
what about the medusa spider? Guaranteed paralysis for 8 hours.

I liked this theory at first but let's face it, Locke has been "dead" for WAY more than 8 hours and most likely has been embalmed and stuff considering he had a funeral.
plus medusa spiders are only on the island I think...

ER_Bridge
02-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Wasnt there an episode where Eko was listening to the recording of a girl who came back to life at the Autopsy table when they thought she was dead?

I think there was rumor she screamed something about Locke as well.

I think she said something like "Let John Locke go!" or "Let John Locke go on!"
There were also whispers.
Its possible that her being dead allowed her to have some sort of clairvoyance which relates to a recent or future episode, but im banking on it being about something that happened to Locke around that time period (ie, the walkabout). She soon after spoke to Eko in the airport, saying that she saw Yemi while she was "between places."

ER_Bridge
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Well, whether Locke was dead to begin with or not, you can bet that any survivors of Ajira who find him are going to be quite shocked that a man has:
a) come back to life after crashig on a tropical island
b) been to said island before in a different plane crash

I'd follow him.

Mykee
02-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Well, whether Locke was dead to begin with or not, you can bet that any survivors of Ajira who find him are going to be quite shocked that a man has:
a) come back to life after crashig on a tropical island
b) been to said island before in a different plane crash

I'd follow him.

Nobody knows there's a casket on the plane besides the O5 + Ben.

lost for words
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM

He gave his condolences to Jack in the airport. Of course he doesn't know Locke by name. Btw, does Hurley, Sayid, Sun or Kate know that Locke had to go back also?

ER_Bridge
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM

Thats why I posted this in the spoilers section. I'm sure we've all seen the promo...

Locke: "I remember dying"

m8o
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I believe the O5 will go to DHARMA times in the 70s. Locke, Ben, dunno about Lapidus, stay in 'present' day. Don't have any basis for believing this <yet>, other than I do.