PDA

View Full Version : Y: the Last Man

cennacenn
03-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Maybe I've missed it but it seems like everyone is ignoring the fact that Hurley was reading a spanish version of a Y: the Last Man volume in the airport during "316." Even though they didn't show anything but the back of the volume I caught it right away and so did my best friend even though were not watching the epidsode together. I was freaking out I was so excited because it's one of my favourite graphic novels and guess who wrote that whole series? BRIAN K. VAUGHAN! He just happens to be a producer for the show and that particular volume has some parallels with that episode of the show. It really ticked me off that Y: the last man didn't appear on any of the lists for books on the show including the official ABC one. Everyone should read it if they haven't already. It's brilliantly done.

Mr Ee
04-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Agreed. It's the best graphic novel series besides Preacher and Watchmen.

I hope they don't butcher the movie adaptation.

I was so excited i pee'd my pants when I found out BKV would be a writer/producer for LOST.

That's destiny for ya.

voicesoffcamera
05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I was so excited when I found BKV was joining Lost back in season 3. I 'm a huge fan of his. Y, Ex Machina, Runaways, The Escapists, Pride of Baghdad, and the Hood are all really great, and I enjoyed his Mystique, Logan, and Doctor Strange books a great deal as well.

Ebenezer Grymm
05-20-2009, 03:20 AM
I liked it :)

I heard they're making a movie.

fakefakeflowers
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I effing love Brian K. Vaughan and everything he/s ever written (that I/ve gotten my hands on, at least), Y: The Last Man especially.
It/s such a brilliantly put-together comic, and must read for any fan of LOST.

Whisperer
07-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I saw Hurley reading Y: The Last Man and checked out the first volume from my library. I loved it, checked out the other nine, and finished them all in about a week. At the time I didn't even know that Vaughn was working on Lost (how embarrassing).

I have no idea how they would fit the whole story into one movie, maybe there will be more than one.

I have to admit that I would have liked some more definitive answers at the end. Mostly to the biggest question in the whole series.

orsonkidd
07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
^ i kinda felt the same way about the end. i didn't really get much satisfaction from it.

PatrickMM
12-12-2009, 12:36 AM
I think the series is a bit overrated, particularly compared the more ambitious works out there in the comics medium by writers like Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. Not everything has to have the density of a Watchmen or Invisibles, but Y reads more like a film pitch than a comic series, and I think it misses a lot of great opportunities to explore the real changes that a world without men would have. How do family and social structures change? That's touched on briefly, but the interesting premise is generally used as the backdrop for a fairly straightforward adventure story.

orsonkidd
12-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree...to a point.

Y is/was a great series....not in the league of anything Grant did w/ the Invisibles or Moore has done, but it still was a very well written and received story....and it is being optioned as a film. Overrated is an overused term, imo. Just because it was successful doesn't make it overrated. You might not have thought it was that good, but as a comic fan I would think that you would like it because it legitimizes the medium for non comic readers and opens the door for more non traditional stories to be made, etc..

PatrickMM
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
That's a fair point, but even more than being overrated, I think it's outright not that good, and really squanders a great premise. It's great if it can be a gateway for people into comics, and certainly has worked on a couple of people I know, but I think it has the same frustrating character types and situations that a lot of 00s fiction do, namely the consistent focus on geeky, incompetent manchildren journeying on their way to becoming grown ups, which is a narrative beat that's been done a bit too often, and with a premise like that, there's so much more potential for radically interesting stuff.

orsonkidd
12-20-2009, 09:25 PM
wow....you really hated it that much?....I stopped getting it long before the series ended, but I didn't think it was doing some kind of disservice, or catering to LCD mentality...The ending was a bit lame, imo, but it was a "cool" idea, imo........It did receive a lot of attention, despite not being the "best" thing Vertigo has published........It was a fairly straight forward story though, and easy for people to get into w/o having to have any comic knowledge at all........however, w/o The Sandman or Moore/Morrison etc...BKV never would have gotten the acclaim that YTLM did.

Oyashenron
08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
^ i kinda felt the same way about the end. i didn't really get much satisfaction from it.

Not getting much satisfaction from "the end" all the way back in 2009?!

He's a soothsayer I tell you!

Gypemync
07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Dinner Achieve Suspension I Illegal Warm Eye Connection Plain Pupil Reply Battery II Buyer Thin Shave Pencil Sweep Card Pin Home Rock High Slick Retire Satisfy Fork Elevator Focus Long Staff Up Muscle Raise Hunting Pressure Exercise II Economy Education Lack Wood End Trade Late Secondary Unite General Red Fridge Import Winner Plant Award Ease Standard Counteract Draw I Performance Glove Fun Death Goods Parliament Anxiety Funny Different Sadness Tool Gambling Suffering Van I Bowl Navy Up Return Poem Arrest Organize Shy Important Suspicious Device II Separately Electricity Bike Range Driver Incident Refuse II Sweater II Station II Fence Plug Night Call Legal Patience Travel Jacket Intellegence Flavour O'clock http://www.axis-band.pl (http://spacechronology.com/forum/showthread.php?87403-Zesp-amp-243-%C5%82-na-wesele&p=149211 ) High Lamp Cover II Minister Pilot II Onion Legal Knock Alcohol Wool Phase Ton Room Key Underground Sheet Card Dentist Writing Contagious Schedule City Port II Alphabetic Chase Impressed Hot Loudly Rounded Scale At the Invite Mad Wet Efficient Senior Dictionary Quietly Unique Passport Present Experiment Brother Break Befriend Make-up I Barrier Surface II Tiring Leave Single Examine Servant Responsibility Help Labor Save Nail South Fan Scene Lemon Poor Make-up II Balance Bitter Client Bar and Cancel Stupid Ship Colour Switch II Percent Bag Read Photography Colleague Maximum Milligram Prospect II Track Bad Guilty Extort Uniform Problem Bake Profit II Fly II Cash Introduction I Intermediate Battle Lawyer Production Punch Happy Hope Dancer