PDA

View Full Version : Lost: The Books

marlboro_sot
05-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Anyone else here wish that the show writers wrote Lost as novels instead of TV Series?I mean TV has a lot of limitations.Just imagine the story of Lost without this limitations...

Blost14
05-19-2009, 07:44 PM
These books are not considered canon, and they are not continuations of the story of the show, but some books have been written with characters from the show being a part of the story.

Some information about these book can be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)#Other_media).

jjjonatron
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't think he means, like, "Wow, these books are awesome, they are part of the Lost saga?"

I think he means that Lost should continue in a series of books, because that way they wouldn't be limited by the six-season 40-minute-episode time restraint and wouldn't have to leave plotlines behind (so many of them have been--I would easily read books on several).

CTS
05-20-2009, 01:39 AM
No, there are MORE limitations with books.

Think about all of the intricate mythological references and easter eggs that couldn't be included in books.

jjjonatron
05-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Why wouldn't they be able to make mythological references in books?

And before anyone says that there are those three Lost novelizations, they weren't written by Darlton or anything, which makes them moot.

CTS
05-20-2009, 02:31 AM

And before anyone says that there are those three Lost novelizations, they weren't written by Darlton or anything, which makes them moot.
I mean like little things such as a discreet DHARMA logo on a map, Hanso Foundation logo in the back of Harper's house, etc. etc.

voicesoffcamera
05-20-2009, 02:58 AM
I think the op is saying that he wishes that the entire show was a book instead of being a show in the first place, not that he wants it to continue in books or whatever.

Personally, I like that it's a show. I feel like Lost would lose some of its specialness if it had always been a book instead of a show.

However I always thought it would be cool to see a comic series by Darlton that would be basically the show if they hadn't had actors ask to leave and budget limitations and stuff. But since it would probably be mostly the same it would seem kind of redundant.

marlboro_sot
05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Just imagine that if they write Lost as books instead of a show they will have more freedom to make the story they actually wanted to do.No death for Mr.Eko,explain the Libby story etc.Thinks that they cant do to TV cause of the great limitadions of the medium.
For examble what if the ABC let the actor who plays Desmond go because of the law suit against him?In books you dont have these problems...

guyswherearewe
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
How would you write all the links between characters?

E.G.

As Shannon watched her father get carted off on a trolley, she knew he would probably die. However she didn't notice Jack Shepard walk past her.

It wouldn't work.

marlboro_sot
05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
How would you write all the links between characters?

E.G.

As Shannon watched her father get carted off on a trolley, she knew he would probably die. However she didn't notice Jack Shepard walk past her.

It wouldn't work.You are right about that.I belive that like a previous poster suggested graphic novels will be the ideal medium for a story like Lost...

Fanshawe
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Because the brilliance of Lost is the detail that you have to look carefully for. The significance of photos in backgrounds, people walking by in flashbacks, quick glimpses here and there. Things you might not notice first time, and of course, things that don't mean anything, but lead to endless speculation. In a book this would be blatantly referred to with little mystery. There wouldn't be as much room for debate. Ok some misdirection is possible, but it wouldn't get the show's essence across in the same way at all.

guyswherearewe
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Because the brilliance of Lost is the detail that you have to look carefully for. The significance of photos in backgrounds, people walking by in flashbacks, quick glimpses here and there. Things you might not notice first time, and of course, things that don't mean anything, but lead to endless speculation. In a book this would be blatantly referred to with little mystery. There wouldn't be as much room for debate. Ok some misdirection is possible, but it wouldn't get the show's essence across in the same way at all.

I agree completly :)

maxpower
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree. As much as I would love some "Lost" inspired books, I think the story that has already been told via TV was specifically suited for TV.

edit: whoops, didn't realize this thread was so old. Not much going on in the book forum I see. :)

Oyashenron
08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Lost would make an awesome series of graphic novels, but wouldn't really work in text considering how visual it is.

ZEITGEIZT
08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I can see both sides of the argument here. I personally would love to have Lost as a book series. I can see how in some ways, TV is limited, and in some ways, text would be too. So I guess it was best as a TV show up until this point, but I sure wouldn't complain if we got some type of book series to continue the story, whether it is set before or after what we saw on tv.