tohdom
10-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "The Economist"
(Oct 12 - Oct 18)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Eggtown

Lost Fan 4815162342
10-19-2009, 04:51 AM
You mean "Eggtown?"

I never much liked this the first time I saw it. I don't like it now except for noting the Katefail moments.

The Ben-Locke scenes redeem this ep. Once again Ben presses Locke's buttons, and the dishes go flying. Maybe if Locke made Ben cook for him. then he wouldn't be in the position to throw dishes. But probably in the final analysis, it doesn't matter who cooks. Locke is always end up throwing dishes.

I felt sorry for Sawyer for nailing Kate's MO: Shack up with whomever she can play at the moment. Of course, he gets slapped for it.

Nero
10-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Kate was given 10 years probation and couldn't leave the state. So how did she get a plane ticket to Guam?

MM0602
10-22-2009, 03:37 AM
I have no idea how she managed to get on 316, but I also remembered her probation when that episode aired. I guess she either used her celebrity status to bully her way on board... or she managed to fool the Oceanic people into letting her on, probably with an alias. She was dressed kind of inconspicuously when she boarded, wasn't she? Either way, assuming no reset, if she ever goes back home she'll have a lot of explaining to do :p.

Edit: Rewatched it tonight :) I don't see why its considered such a bad episode. I admit some parts are lame, like the lady asking Jack if he loves Kate, but I can let them slide. I actually enjoy the flashforward story haha. On-island stuff wasn't too bad either, lots of Miles and we got that weird scene with Dan and Charlotte and their cards. The ending still gives me shivers :p

Dr. Chameleon
10-28-2009, 02:54 AM
How did the Tempest station get activated when Ben's locked up? Can he still move around somehow unbeknownst to Locke, or is he communicating with the Others somehow? I would really like some reveal on this.

Backgammon again. I like the way Sawyer uses it to distract Locke, knowing he has a weakness for games.

The time shift between off and on island is not consistent (see: Dan's test, the helicopter, and the dead doctor washing up on shore). I thought the writers maybe had changed their minds about some things with the satellite phone technology Sayid had never seen before -- that the boat people would be from the future to some degree, but it could be that Widmore had to develop some special technology in order for people on island to communicate real time with people off it.

On first watch I thought there was some weird psychic (or time-loop) test going on with Charlotte and Dan, now we know it was short term memory they were testing.

Kate broke her probation by going back to the island, will she ever come back to the mainland?

Xanadu! Awesome! :D

Jacob'sWiseOldMother
11-25-2009, 07:50 PM
I love to call this episode....Let's make a deal! Off island flash forward we get to see Kate and her lawyer debate the idea of having to make a deal for her to not get maximum time and she refuses. Then we see Kate and her mom together again at last and all she wants is to see her grandson...no deal again. Lucky for Kate, her mom follows through and doesn't want to testify so Kate gets to make a deal finally with the State. I don't think we will ever know why she got to get on flight 316 either, except that maybe Ben pulled another trick with his lawyer friend to get her on the flight. Then, the last deal is with Miles and Ben. Definitely the most interesting!! Miles has much more info on Ben that we still don't have the answers to and that is why I really liked this episode other than the usual Kate story line.

It is the same old con story again with Kate and Sawyer playing the con this time. John may have got them the first time with Hurley in the closet but this time Kate gets him back using Sawyer as her side kick. We get a few hints that Kate will end up being Aaron's stand in mother but the ending is always a shock! They tried to fool us with the idea of Kate being pregnant with Sawyer's child but of course that never came true. I also liked how they hinted at the fact just briefly that Jin would never be around to see his child born. Sun is shown saying..."my baby".

We also get a replay of Ben as prisoner that messes with John's emotions again. This time it concerns his leadership skills instead of problems with Jack. John tries so hard to be the leader of this small group but I think in the end he still shows Kate that he meant business by banishing her from the group and he kept his word to Sawyer not to harm Kate. John wants them to work together as a group and Kate didn't want to play that game so he needed to send her back.

The scene with Miles and Ben was very interesting and takes us right back to that hidden room of Ben's. What did he do off the island? Miles seems to know what Ben is capable of doing and he knows of the relationship between Charles and Ben. All he wants is money and it sounds as though he would kill Charlotte to get it. Miles comes across in this scene with Ben and Kate as very unlikable. Seeing John shove that hand grenade in his mouth almost made me think he deserved it although that was a little over the top for me!!

We also get a little hint of Daniel's mental memory but the big thing that is revealed to us is that time is different on the island. I always wondered if 60 minutes on the island was equal to 60 seconds off the island? So if it really only took Frank about 30 some minutes to fly to the freighter, on the island it would seem like 30 hours had passed instead. This is only a theory of mine but I always remember what Alpert told Juliet, "you're going to be amazed at how time flies once you're there."

One thing I did notice this time is how dirty Kate's clothes were!!! She finally gets to change later before she goes back to see Sawyer but I just kept thinking....wow, she needs a change of clothes!!:D

Dr. Chameleon
11-25-2009, 08:34 PM
This is only a theory of mine but I always remember what Alpert told Juliet, "you're going to be amazed at how time flies once you're there."

Nice catch, I forgot about that!

Richard Was Here
11-28-2009, 06:38 PM
The best part of this entire episode, for me, is when Sawyer calls it as he sees it when Kate decides to rush off back to Jack's group after they sleep together. Sawyer is no fool....and I love him for it. Kate has definitely met her match with him, and that gives me great satisfaction.

Locke, on the other hand, is a fool. He knows Ben is a manipulator, and yet he falls for Ben's game every SINGLE time. And not only that, but loses his temper right outside the room where he is holding Ben...so Ben is able to know for sure that what he is doing is pressing EXACTLY the right buttons.

This sort of thing (and the 'this is not a democracy' speech he gives to Kate - comparing himself, UNFAVORABLY, IMO, to Jack) is why I never thought much of Locke as a leader. He really is not much of a people person. And he is so easily manipulated by Ben it is scary.

As for the flashforwards...well, these were okay. I mean, at least Kate does not kill anyone in this one. The part with Jack on the witness stand was kinda lame...but the rest was okay.

alexandra13
12-06-2009, 06:04 AM
ok dumb weird observation. why does ben have sooo many suits in that secret room. I can understand the $ but why the suits. and who needs that many suits anyway. and why not keep them off the island?

kate, hardass w mom bout not seeing the baby, hard to swallow. who turns down a dying mother who u loved so much u committed murder for. wats the big deal about her seeing the baby anyway? I think moms fall into unconditional love category. she's got the oxygen thing in her nose.

sdorian
01-09-2010, 03:51 AM
What's "eggtown" a reference to? That Aaron ending really is a shocker. I wonder if Kate (after her brief marriage) discovered she can't get pregnant, she's so confident.

sdorian
01-09-2010, 04:00 AM
timing between the island and the freighter:
freighter sends payload, Daniel receives it some time later (half hour?). This shows that the island is x amount of time in the past of the freighter.

the dead guy arrives on the beach before he's killed on the freighter. Here the island is x amount of time in the future compared to the freighter.

People left the island on the helicopter but haven't arrived at the freighter yet. This also shows the island is x amount of time in the future of the freighter.

I think...? I think the point is that the island is still unstable in time/space, though post-hatch explosion pre-donkey wheel, it's at it's most stable point.

Wightpants
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
timing between the island and the freighter:
freighter sends payload, Daniel receives it some time later (half hour?). This shows that the island is x amount of time in the past of the freighter.

the dead guy arrives on the beach before he's killed on the freighter. Here the island is x amount of time in the future compared to the freighter.

People left the island on the helicopter but haven't arrived at the freighter yet. This also shows the island is x amount of time in the future of the freighter.

I think...? I think the point is that the island is still unstable in time/space, though post-hatch explosion pre-donkey wheel, it's at it's most stable point.

The conversations via the satellite phone show that the freighter and island are in the same time. It's travelling to and from the island that causes the time fluctuations. The radio(?) waves are evidently unaffected, but physical objects/people are.

indiglo
01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
What's "eggtown" a reference to?

From Wiki page:

The title of this episode baffled many fans. Carlton Cuse explained: Really, we could spend a lot of time talking about the titles that don't make sense, but the title "Eggtown" referred to the fact that Locke fixed a couple of eggs for Ben at the beginning of the episode, and then there's also the episode had a lot to do with Kate's pregnancy, and pregnancy involves eggs, and so that was the other kind of, sort of metaphoric significance of the title "Eggtown". (Official Lost Audio Podcast transcript/February 28, 2008)

EyelandNative
04-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Somehow after all this time I never realized how much I enjoy this episode. So far disc 2 of season 4 is my favorite disc of all the seasons.

Hopelessly Lost
10-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, Eggtown's not a great title.
It does frustrate me that Locke can be manipulated so easily.
Ben must have had his lawyer make some arrangement to get Kate on flight 316.
I just thought Kate was sure she wasn't pregnant b/c she got her period. I'm guessing women on the island still get it since they can get pregnant on the island, just not conceive.
The ending makes me tear up how Aaron calls Kate Mommy. It makes me feel so bad for Claire to be away from him & knowing she is going crazy b/c he's gone.

fade23
11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Kate isnt pregnant!!! The episode involved kates FAKE pregnancy

pinccadillac
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
just finished eggtown this on my rewatch, and read this

....some funny/interesting... stuff http://www.kulturblog.com/2008/02/lost-eggtown/

CameraOne
02-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I just rewatched this episode for the second time only, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I hate the back and forth of Kate between Sawyer and Jack, but I can see why Kate would stay at the Barracks to find out if the freighter people had knowledge of her past. Sawyer helping her to get Miles to Ben was nice. The flashforwards were also not as bad as I remembered... it was interesting to hear the "official" story of the Oceanic 6 for the first time from Jack at the trial.

I just wish they showed Claire feeling more grief in this episode as a subplot.

dolphindan1
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
So had the Man in Black already taken over Locke....I am confused as to why Locke seperated with some of the other surviviors and went to live in the Barracks....

The Flash-Forwards actually happened right....its after the Oceanic Six were rescued....Does it ever show how each person actually died?