PDA

View Full Version : Flashsideways-

Ricardus Alpert
10-17-2009, 11:26 AM
The Flashsideways are pretty much a fact now, given the most recent spoilers.

Now, I was anti-reset and alternate timeline as much as most people here, but I've warmped up to the idea once these spoilers made me realize something very important.

The characters AREN'T witnessing these "Flash-Sideways". They're not traveling through an alternate reality.

WE ARE.

The recent spoilers about the 77ers in The Temple indicate they're on the island in "LA X." Whether they're in the past or present is yet to be determined, but there was no reset.

They didn't suddenly jump to an alternate reality where the plane never crashed. They're all on the island.

The Flash-Sideways are going to be for the audience only, just like The Flashbacks were. There's nothing more to it than that.

New Otherton
10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
The Flashsideways are pretty much a fact now, given the most recent spoilers.

I wouldn't be so sure of this, at least not in the way most people think they are.

Think the first "Matrix" movie. ;)

Space Lizard
10-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't see the purpose if they aren't going to the alt universe as they seem to have no relevance to the modern Island action. It seems like filler at a time when the show doesn't have any time for filler. We have so many flashbacks we need, and we're getting a meaningless what-if scenario? The flashbacks had relevance to the plot, the flashforwards had relevance to the plot, this just seems to be there to show us old people again so we can get nostalgic.

jbryan1984
10-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I still trust TPTB. This is season 6, their ultimate game plan. I think they have this mapped out to make sense.

g-bone
10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't see how or why they can spend much time on this alt timeline with all the stuff we need answered already with only 1 season left. Unless the two timelines connect somehow.

whenlabratsgobad
10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I think the "flashsideways", as they are being called, will be used to show the course correction that will occur if 815 had not crashed. Kate will be with Claire when Aaron is born, Charlie will die, and Jack will learn that sometimes you need to take a leap of faith. To become the people they are today (or in 1977, I suppose) has always been their destinies.

ben_linus
10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
The flashsideways seem like what-if scenarios to me, what would have happened if the plane never crashed. Perosnally I think they're a pointless waste of time. I'd prefer flashbacks filling in the holes left in the characters backstories. After all, there will be no flashsideways/flashbacks of any kind after a third of the way into the season anyway.

don't do taco night
10-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I think the "flashsideways", as they are being called, will be used to show the course correction that will occur if 815 had not crashed. Kate will be with Claire when Aaron is born, Charlie will die, and Jack will learn that sometimes you need to take a leap of faith. To become the people they are today (or in 1977, I suppose) has always been their destinies.

well said!

orsonkidd
10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Why would they show us things that have nothing to do with what is going on?
The Flashbacks served a purpose. They gave us back story, and something to compare/contrast with/against the people we "know" on the Island.

It would be a huge waste of the precious last season to give us anything that is "filler."

boyd18
10-19-2009, 02:50 AM
this flashsideways or alternate reality flash may seem pointless right now, but we hardly know anything about the main story...as it stands, we know more about this alternate reality then we do about the main story in season 6...its possible this flashsideways contributes somehow to the main story but we just dont know enough about season 6 yet..

1 good thing about this flashsideways, its a good way to bring back dead losties in a way other then it being ghost's or the smoke monster...

orsonkidd
10-19-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm not against flashsideways or anything, I just don't wan't them to be "for the viewers." That would, imo, be a huge mistake.

NoMoreFun
10-19-2009, 07:30 AM
I think they might be presented as such (in LAX, with the multicentric flash sideways), but then stuff will happen in later episodes of that timeline (like Ethan delivering claire's baby, the japanese guy in both of Jack's timelines) will reveal that it's something much stranger, like an illusion created by X.

Ohms
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't think they are "for the viewers" orsonkidd, I think they are more consciousness shifts like "The Constant", but think "The Dark Tower" and Jake being both alive and dead at the same time. Sooner or later the two timelines must be brought together for it to make any sense, and I have a feeling the characters will retain memories of both the S1-S4 timeline and the S6 timeline.

Mastad_on
10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
That's what I was going to say, too. I think they are going to utilize the flash-sideways to reinforce their ideas from the beginning -- whoever dies was meant to die, who leads was meant to lead, etc.

Headcase
10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Think the first "Matrix" movie. ;)

You mean they're all BATTERIES?????

orsonkidd
10-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I think they might be presented as such (in LAX, with the multicentric flash sideways), but then stuff will happen in later episodes of that timeline (like Ethan delivering claire's baby, the japanese guy in both of Jack's timelines) will reveal that it's something much stranger, like an illusion created by X.

So you think it will be Ethan, and not Horace that delivers claire's baby?

I don't think they are "for the viewers" orsonkidd, I think they are more consciousness shifts like "The Constant", but think "The Dark Tower" and Jake being both alive and dead at the same time. Sooner or later the two timelines must be brought together for it to make any sense, and I have a feeling the characters will retain memories of both the S1-S4 timeline and the S6 timeline.

I don't think they will be for the audience...I was referring to the OP.
I think it might be a Dark Tower type of thing. The two time lines will have to meet up and merge or whatever. Any other time line will have to work with/into the existing one, otherwise what is the point?

That's what I was going to say, too. I think they are going to utilize the flash-sideways to reinforce their ideas from the beginning -- whoever dies was meant to die, who leads was meant to lead, etc.

I agree. It will satisfy WHH and Free Will.

New Otherton
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM

We have a winner!

Dharmilla
10-20-2009, 04:05 AM
I'm not against flashsideways or anything, I just don't wan't them to be "for the viewers." That would, imo, be a huge mistake.
I don't like this flashsideways stuff, so it better be damn relevant to the plot, or it would be a moronic waste of precious time

You mean they're all BATTERIES?????
No. WE ARE

WhipersAreO6backInIsland
10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
what are the flashsideways?

New Otherton
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
what are the flashsideways?

it's the term some have coined for showing us glimpses of an alternate universe where the plane never crashed.

WhipersAreO6backInIsland
10-24-2009, 06:45 PM
it's the term some have coined for showing us glimpses of an alternate universe where the plane never crashed.

Thank you so much, sometimes I feel I don't understand some terms and there's been really nice people who has explained those to me.

I'm thinking there should be a Lostctionary... hehe

Desmondo
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
All I know is that if they apply the story telling concepts form either FBYE or the constant to this flashes, then season 6 will be without most likely be my favorite season ever

Ebenezer Grymm
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't think they are alternate universes, what ifs? or a flashsideways at all.

It can't really be a flashsideways, because to be directly sideways the losties on the island would have to be back in 05-06 or whenever the plane originally would have landed at LAX rather than 77 or the present, which would be much later. So it's not a flashsideways.

I don't think it's a true alternate timeline or what if, because I do think that would be filler. I can't see them pulling that off any other way than making it for the audience only, which I just don't think they would do.

I think, most likely, what we'll be seeing will somehow be real to the characters, the losties will be experiencing it, too. Probably something to do with whatever happens to people once they go to the temple to be healed.

They won't be alts, it won't change anything that has happened, it will just be the way it is.

Richard said when he was taking young Ben to the temple that he wouldn't remember anything. Well, maybe that's what does happen, but in place of not remembering anything, they implant somehow other memories or experiences into you to replace all that missed time. Or something.

rich_g
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
After reading the spoilers about the "flash sideways"... I am wondering if this is 'seen' by the characters? That is, during the explosion, are they 'experiencing' the what-if scenes, then when it's all over they wake up with a "What the... What was THAT?!?" (kinda like a FlashForward)

Das_Nugz
11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Seeing as many of you share my concern over whether these alt timeline flashes will serve any significant purpose in the over-arching plot of the show, I felt this was a reasonable place to post this. In Faraday's journal, there was a diagram showing separate "timelines" such as "real time", "imaginary time", etc. all converging into points that he has labeled "Event A", "Event B", etc. Any ideas on what these "events" could be or if they even have any importance in the context in which I am bringing this up? I gather that these "events" could be referencing the moment Matthew Fox was referring to when he says that the timelines will converge into one timeline fairly early into the season.

hyperchord24
11-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Seeing as many of you share my concern over whether these alt timeline flashes will serve any significant purpose in the over-arching plot of the show, I felt this was a reasonable place to post this. In Faraday's journal, there was a diagram showing separate "timelines" such as "real time", "imaginary time", etc. all converging into points that he has labeled "Event A", "Event B", etc. Any ideas on what these "events" could be or if they even have any importance in the context in which I am bringing this up? I gather that these "events" could be referencing the moment Matthew Fox was referring to when he says that the timelines will converge into one timeline fairly early into the season.
If you're refering to the "screenshot" of the journal, I hate to be the one to tell you, but it was fan-made. As far as I know, there was never a shot of his journal close enough to make anything out.

Daniel1302
11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
If you're refering to the "screenshot" of the journal, I hate to be the one to tell you, but it was fan-made. As far as I know, there was never a shot of his journal close enough to make anything out.

There were several, actually:
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Daniel%27s_journal

Scroll towards the bottom for a collection of them.

Das_Nugz
11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/lostpedia/images/6/64/Dan_journal_6.jpg

New Otherton
11-13-2009, 06:47 PM
You have to be patient in the spoiler section, Das. You don't get the same kind of quick repsponses that you do in the MF. Not that you should post this in MF, as it's clearly spoiler material.