View Full Version : 4x10 Something Nice Back Home

tohdom
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "Something Nice Back Home"
(Oct 26 - Nov 1)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Something_Nice_Back_Home

Dr. Chameleon
11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice connection made between Jack and Sawyer here with his Millennium Falcon tripping "son of a bitch." Also, it seems like Jack's excerpt from Alice in Wonderland could be foreshadowing what's going to happen with Locke:

JACK: "Alice took up the fan and gloves, and, as the hall was very hot, she kept fanning herself all the time she went on talking: `Dear, dear! How queer everything is to-day! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? But if I'm not the same, the next question is, 'Who in the world am I?' Aha, that's the great puzzle."

What was possibly undead Claire seeing?

SAWYER: You okay?
CLAIRE: Yeah, just a bit woozy.
SAWYER: How's your head?
CLAIRE: It's better. Bit of a headache, but at least I'm not seeing things anymore.
MILES: Yeah? What'd you see?

Why does ghost Charlie want to warn Jack "You're not supposed to raise him"? I know there's some question about if he really means Aaron or not. Could it be a pun and he means that they shouldn't raise Locke from the dead? That's sort of useless because Jack has no idea what's going to happen when he lets Ben talk him into getting Locke's body back to the island. I suppose it depends on who Charlie is representing here. And it could be that Aaron has some important role to play, yet, especially if Malkin was right that it's important for Claire and only Claire to raise him (although I'm assuming it's too late for this to happen).

Why does Charlotte speak Korean? Granted, that won't be high on my list of questions I need to have answered.

Important to note in the timeline of Jack's breakdown, he sees ghosts of his dead father twice around the time he's getting engaged to Kate and starts on his pill addiction. It wasn't just "Jeremy Bentham" that made him go all crazy and hairy. His drunken confrontation with Kate is pretty creepy. Bringing things full circle from the beginning of the episode, it's their connection to Sawyer that keeps him from being able to trust and love her.

Aaaaaand Claire mysteriously disappears with Christian. Bye!

Nathan182
11-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I liked the smoke alarm going off before Jack saw Christian, subtle hint that it's actually MiB off the island appearing as the dead people? In a similar vein to what Jacob did.

Miles is definitely intrigued by Claire, that's got to mean something, I am sure we will see Claire and the cabin next season though, entirely sure.

Simon
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
This episode frustrates me, simply because the Jack/Kate relationship is so dysfunctional. I find myself screaming at the TV for them to get it together and stop over complicating things :D

Dr. Chameleon
11-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I liked the smoke alarm going off before Jack saw Christian, subtle hint that it's actually MiB off the island appearing as the dead people? In a similar vein to what Jacob did.

Smoke alarm? Oooh, I missed that. Time for the re-rewatch. :D

tohdom
11-11-2009, 06:24 AM
I think the Alice story it the metaphor for Claire who did not realize she is a ghost yet.

I hope writers will somehow make Aaron important to the story, because we are hearing "Aaron this and Aaron that..." too many times in this show!

MM0602
11-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Okay, this episode totally added to my Juliet sadness! The poor thing just wants to find love, but whenever she tries it blows up in her face. First her husband turns out to be a jackass, then Goodwin gets stabbed, then Jack chooses Kate over her, and finally when she finds true love with Sawyer she's torn away and dragged into a pit. Give her a happy ending! Don't let her die in the incident! :(

Anyways, as for the actually episode, it had really good moments but not my favourite of the season. I was so scared for Sawyer, Claire, and Miles when Keamy and the mercenaries almost found them in the bushes. Good thing Frank got them to leave. I thought the scene when Jack questions Kate about her promise was really well acted, too. And I want to know what's up with Claire! I don't think she's dead, it seems too easy.

Richard Was Here
12-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Jack's flashforwards in this one are painful to watch. Matthew Fox is great, don't get me wrong...but this episode shows the beginning of Jack's downhill slide into pill addiction...and it's kind of sad.

Clearly, Jack and Kate are not meant to be together. They are just bad, bad BAD for each other.

Interesting that Charlotte speaks Korean. Wonder what's up with that? Although we might not ever find out now..... Anyway, good catch on Jin's part.

Also wonder what's up with Claire hangin' with Christian at the cabin. Makes me worry that she might be dead....but who knows?

Jacob'sWiseOldMother
12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
After all the pain and misery of getting himself off the island, we see that Jack is just not suppose to go home. He struggles to get some of the losties rescued but in the end they all end up miserable and depressed. Jack goes back to his old life and this time replaces Sarah with Kate but he ends up just like Christian, an addicted doctor who can't control his own life. Jack is the one who's changed, as he reads to Aaron, "If I've changed, then who am I?" Jack has become the man he despised the most....his father. I think that if Jack would have never crashed onto the island in the first place, this is exactly what he would have become anyway...a drunk, pill popping doctor who could never get over the fact that his father didn't love him enough.

Jack isn't suppose to leave the island and Rose says it best. Bernard says, "People get sick Rose." Rose..."Not here. Here they get better."

The reference to what Claire saw is from the deleted scene from "The Shape of Things to Come". In that scene, she tells Hurley she sees her father standing there in the bedroom with them and Hurley tells her that no one is there. So if Hurley can really see dead people, this wasn't Christian and it must have been the BSM. It uses Christians form/body to get Claire to come with it to the cabin. I still don't think she is dead especially when we see how upset she is when they find Danielle and Karl's bodies in the ground. The BSM needs Claire for some reason that we will hopefully get in season 6.

Poor Juliet. She always is the one to save other people but in the end, she herself doesn't get saved. It's too bad that she never got happiness off the island but I don't think anybody ever would for that matter. At least, TPTB gave her Sawyer for a brief moment in time there in Dharmaville!!

I would have still liked to know more about Charlotte and her back story since they keep dropping these little clues like she speaks Korean. The way she died in season 5 still bothers me because of the strange language she spoke that no one else knew. There seems to be things that she knew from the different time flashes they experienced like where the well was at.

They best scene for me was when Jack saw Christian the second time in the lobby and Erica calls Jack's name. He about jumps out of the building when she scares him!! :D Of course, this is also the beginning of his addiction to pills and he doesn't heed Erica's advice either. Jack has trust issues with everyone and even this woman can't help him.

mattepntr
12-11-2009, 06:38 AM
I wrote this for a main forum post a while ago, but it works in this thread too....

"Anybody who says "Something Nice Back Home" is a nothing episode is crazy.

Whew. Where to start?
This is Jack at his worst. The paranoia, the drinking, the insecure, control freak that he definitely can be. This is the crazy side of Jack, the same side we saw in SIASL. (Leaving aside that he's seeing visions of Christian and probably thinks he's losing his mind.)
And Kate is feeding it. And she should know better. All she needed to tell Jack was that she was "doing a favor for Sawyer that involves his ex-girlfriend". It would still keep Sawyer's secret, but totally disarm Jack's jealous crazy-o-meter.
But at this point, Jack is sinking into addiction, and Kate has a point when she says he shouldn't be around Aaron. But Kate's weird need to "have" Aaron, using him as some sort of symbol for how she wants to see herself, instead of just being his caregiver/ mother/ whatever, pushes her to fling that "my son" comment at Jack as a weapon.

I love Jack, and I love Kate too, but after this episode, I will NEVER say they should be together. They are terrible for each other. "

Careless
12-22-2009, 04:18 PM
That Jack and Kate scene where she refuses to tell him what she was doing is simply awful. He wouldn't want Jack to know he had a child? Ok, maybe he'd prefer Jack not know that, but there's no way his preference for that justifies sneaking around behind your spouse's back.

And how is the baby supposed to survive with his mother wandering off? 2 month olds can't eat. Oh, and the whole thing with the mercenaries gets more and more ridiculous. Those guys would have been slaughtered if the Others had bothered to fight them, even without the help of the 815

locke-n-load
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Nathan182;2053046] I liked the smoke alarm going off before Jack saw Christian, subtle hint that it's actually MiB off the island appearing as the dead people? In a similar vein to what Jacob did.

Nice.

sdorian
01-10-2010, 06:41 AM
The first time I saw this, I did think Jack was overreacting to Kate's mysteriousness, though I did suspect she was cheating on him with Sawyer. and yeah, given Kate's history (and the paranoia the island bred), there's plenty of reason for distrust. But now, knowing that the secret was visiting Cassidy - and she probably wanted to respect Sawyer's wishes that it be kept secret or something - I really think Jack's being an ass. Yes, Kate should be truthful. But, Jack should also trust her. And, without proof, he shouldn't get all angry and jealous. So I do side with Kate in that, if he can't trust her (if he's this jealous), they can't have a relationship.

Jack's episode at the end here reminds me of his obsession with needing to know who Sarah was screwing. It doesn't really matter. What matters is his temper, his overreaction...

And knowing now what Kate's up to, it puts Jacks' "I'm the one" speech in a new perspective. First watch, when you don't know what Kate's up to, it's like the audience is one Jack's side, Jack's perspective. That maybe Kate really hasn't gotten over Sawyer. But now - from Kate's perspective - it looks like Kate is over Sawyer. Her trips to Cassidy don't have anything to do with it. and Jack's speech reveals his own insecurities - his need to one-up Sawyer, who isn't even there, when Kate's right in front of him and (though she flip-flopped) chose him. maybe Jack would never trust Kate and would never think that he could live up to what he imagines as Kate's memory of Sawyer. his own insecurities make him jealous... (and why do I now sound like Dr. Phil?) also, with the truth of alcohol or whatever, we see that Jack deep-down just isn't comfortable with Aaron, and can't accept that Kate loves him like a son.

"you're not related to him" in a new light too. because we know Jack's related to him. I suppose - if they did do blood tests - Kate could officially adopt Aaron and Jack might have rights as his uncle.

poor little baby Aaron, now orphaned...

sdorian
01-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Smoke alarm? Oooh, I missed that. Time for the re-rewatch. :D

The smoke alarm - like a microwave in another flashback (Des's) just reminded me of the button pushing.

Living_Locke
05-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Possibly my least favourite episode of Lost. Not much really happens... Jack gets surgery.. Jack and Kate or having problems in a flashforward... Who cares?

Coryct
07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
And how is the baby supposed to survive with his mother wandering off? 2 month olds can't eat

This bothered me so much!!!
That baby would have been crying non stop without being nursed by Claire,
and then he also survives a helicopter crash into the ocean? Really?

Skate2Game
08-28-2010, 07:20 AM
I think I'm in the minority, but this is one of my favorite episodes from Season 4. I really love watching the downfall of Jack and seeing how he began his descent into the Jack we saw in TTLG.

I also like this episode since to me, it appears that despite Jack's issues with his father, he seemingly becomes him in this episode.

Hopelessly Lost
10-28-2010, 08:23 PM
This epi does fill in some of the story:
showing Jack start his downfall & Claire leaves w/Christian which is why Aaron is w/Kate

Then there are little clues, like Jack getting sick (a hint that he shouldn't leave), smoke alarm, Jack's comment "You're not even related to him" hints that he will find out about claire.
Charlotte can speak many languages, including Korean.

ZeroPoint
01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I just finished my rewatch of this episode and the new things keep popping up!

I like how this episode starts with jack opening his eyes. The first time I saw this episode, I saw Jack's appendicitis as an omen that he was not suppossed to leave. Now I know that it is more than that, the island doesn't want him to leave. Same with the flashforwards, Christian appearing to Jack, Charlie's note and the Alice in Wonderland quote. All indications that he (they) need to go back.

While keeping a keen eye out for background items, I spied a crude crayon drawing of a jagged fuzzy humanoid picture on the refrigerator in Jack & Kate's home. BSM?

Some questions that I still have after this rewatch, possibly to be answered in seasons 5 & 6 (I haven't seen either of those seasons yet!). Why were Danielle & Karl's bodies buried? Who buried them? The obvious answer would be Keamy & his crew in order to keep the element of surprise when they snagged Alex in the previous episode. I did make for a dramatic scene when Miles located their bodies though.

Another question is why dies Miles keep looking at Claire? What does he sense?

Lastly, and this has probably been covered before, it seems as if the Christian that appears to Claire is not the same as the one who appears to Jack in the flashfoward. Claire's Christian seems more intent on separating her with Aaron, almost as if he knows that some will leave the island, possibly setting it up so that Aaron will be "raised by another". Looking at the next episode, we know that Christian "helps" Locke make a decision. Why would he do this and keep Claire & Aaron separate? Time to hurry on to season 5!

Hopelessly Lost
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I did notice Miles looking at Claire. We know he thinks she's hot, but was there something not right? Miles also gave looks to Sayid in s6 after Sayid came back to life. Miles knew something wasn't right.

LOSTnLOST
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I did notice Miles looking at Claire. We know he thinks she's hot, but was there something not right? Miles also gave looks to Sayid in s6 after Sayid came back to life. Miles knew something wasn't right.

Zeropoint hasnt seen season 5 or season 6 yet

pinccadillac
03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
I think I'm in the minority, but this is one of my favorite episodes from Season 4. I really love watching the downfall of Jack and seeing how he began his descent into the Jack we saw in TTLG.

I also like this episode since to me, it appears that despite Jack's issues with his father, he seemingly becomes him in this episode.

yep, exactly, he is becoming his despised father here

jack , what an annoying control freak he can be

Fish1941
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
It's interesting that Jack is the only one accused of being a control freak in the eyes of the fans. Yet, many of the characters have been equally guilty of being control freaks.

Both Jack and Kate were at fault in this episode. Jack seemed to be overreacting to nearly everything - from Hurley's revelation that he would receive a visit, to Christian's appearance and later, the deal with Kate and Sawyer. For a reserved man, he could be very overemotional. And then there was his taunt that Aaron was not Kate's son. He did it to hurt Kate. But he was also right. She was being rather delusional about Aaron when she claimed that the latter was her son. Kate should have known better. And she should have either told Jack the truth about her promise to Sawyer or tell him to mind his own business.

Why does ghost Charlie want to warn Jack "You're not supposed to raise him"? I know there's some question about if he really means Aaron or not. Could it be a pun and he means that they shouldn't raise Locke from the dead? That's sort of useless because Jack has no idea what's going to happen when he lets Ben talk him into getting Locke's body back to the island. I suppose it depends on who Charlie is representing here. And it could be that Aaron has some important role to play, yet, especially if Malkin was right that it's important for Claire and only Claire to raise him (although I'm assuming it's too late for this to happen).

Apparently, it's no longer too late. Thanks to Kate, Claire ended up being reunited with her son.

Her trips to Cassidy don't have anything to do with it. and Jack's speech reveals his own insecurities - his need to one-up Sawyer, who isn't even there, when Kate's right in front of him and (though she flip-flopped) chose him. maybe Jack would never trust Kate and would never think that he could live up to what he imagines as Kate's memory of Sawyer. his own insecurities make him jealous... (and why do I now sound like Dr. Phil?) also, with the truth of alcohol or whatever, we see that Jack deep-down just isn't comfortable with Aaron, and can't accept that Kate loves him like a son.

Both Jack and Sawyer were insecure about each other. To the point that both behaved in ridiculous ways to "up" one another.

Watching this episode made me realize that Jack and Kate's relationship was doomed to fail, just as Sawyer, Juliet and the other Left Behinders' time with the DI was doomed to fail . . . everything was based on lies.

David Shephard
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jacob'sWiseOldMother;2092894]After all the pain and misery of getting himself off the island, we see that Jack is just not suppose to go home. He struggles to get some of the losties rescued but in the end they all end up miserable and depressed. Jack goes back to his old life and this time replaces Sarah with Kate but he ends up just like Christian, an addicted doctor who can't control his own life. Jack is the one who's changed, as he reads to Aaron, "If I've changed, then who am I?" Jack has become the man he despised the most....his father. I think that if Jack would have never crashed onto the island in the first place, this is exactly what he would have become anyway...a drunk, pill popping doctor who could never get over the fact that his father didn't love him enough. QUOTE]

Jack's father loved him VERY much. He wanted the best for his son. I think alot of the problem was that Jack just didn't know how to take it. Christian may not have been "father of the year," but he definitely tried his best to make a successful life for Jack.

Fish1941
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Jack's father loved him VERY much. He wanted the best for his son. I think alot of the problem was that Jack just didn't know how to take it. Christian may not have been "father of the year," but he definitely tried his best to make a successful life for Jack.

I feel that the reason Jack was not able to take Christian's advice very well, was because the latter was not very good at dispensing advice. Christian really didn't handle it very well. I understand he tried to do his best in raising Jack, but his intent was a lot better than his execution.

Benjamin:Linus
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh, it is my the most favourite episode in season 4.