PDA

View Full Version : Anywone want to discuss Watership Down?

Natureboy
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I read this book recently and loved it. Some similarities to lost. Sawyer enjoyed it as well lol. ;)

Natureboy
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, I guess I will start lol. ;)I never wanted to read the story when I was younger--but read it a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. Who knew that a book about rabbits could be filled with so much action, drama and social themes.

CTS
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Yes! :D I absolutely love Watership Down. It's possibly my faovrite novel ever. So many awesome themes and characters in that book!

MrsFaraday
12-01-2009, 04:49 AM
I read it about a year or so ago and I really liked it! I can see some similarities to Lost.

Natureboy
12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I think the similarities are present with Hazel and his group and their struggles with other rabbit groups. (Kind of like the others and Dharma...) I believe the creators of Lost mentioned it as a small influence much like other books. Great read. Bigwig was a bad-ass lol.

Natureboy
12-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes! :D I absolutely love Watership Down. It's possibly my faovrite novel ever. So many awesome themes and characters in that book!

You took the words right out of my mouth lol.:D

Meran
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I've read this book many times over the years, always enjoy it and pick up on more things each time (kinda like a rewatch)

lookylu19
02-05-2010, 01:21 AM
I think the similarities are present with Hazel and his group and their struggles with other rabbit groups. (Kind of like the others and Dharma...) I believe the creators of Lost mentioned it as a small influence much like other books. Great read. Bigwig was a bad-ass lol.

I read this a long time ago, maybe 4th or 5th grade, my first "big girl" book...what Lost reminds me of is Fiver, with his flashes of the future and warnings of doom. I think he kept warning them of what would happen if they left the warren and had visions of the tractor that dug up some burrows. Anyway, when I think about it, I think of Locke and his intuition, his faith, his warnings and his loenliness. For some reason that is probably not too accurate, I think of Jack and Ben when I think of BigWig, because of their bull-headed-ness. Sayid and James remind me the most of Hazel, but Jack is probably a better fit as the leader just trying to do his best.

At any rate, it's one of the best books I've ever read, and I own the same paperback version James had on the beach, it was a sweet feeling to see it on the show.:o

burgundee21
05-25-2010, 04:28 AM
I read this a long time ago, maybe 4th or 5th grade, my first "big girl" book...what Lost reminds me of is Fiver, with his flashes of the future and warnings of doom. I think he kept warning them of what would happen if they left the warren and had visions of the tractor that dug up some burrows. Anyway, when I think about it, I think of Locke and his intuition, his faith, his warnings and his loenliness. For some reason that is probably not too accurate, I think of Jack and Ben when I think of BigWig, because of their bull-headed-ness. Sayid and James remind me the most of Hazel, but Jack is probably a better fit as the leader just trying to do his best.

At any rate, it's one of the best books I've ever read, and I own the same paperback version James had on the beach, it was a sweet feeling to see it on the show.:o

I'm not finished with it yet, but I definitely see Hazel as Jack, BigWig as Sawyer (? - can't you just hear BigWig saying "Son of a..."), and Fiver is like several of the characters (sometimes a little bit of Charlie, doesn't he have flashes and weird gut feelings? Loner aspects like Locke, but Locke is too optimistic, unlike Fiver).

Leaving the beach to go to the caves = leaving the warren to find a "better place." Then they find the farm with the traps - sounds like what happens with the Others. Then they go to Watership Down and find the rabbits in the seemingly "safe" place. Aren't the survivors always looking for a safe place?

Cool stuff, though.