PDA

View Full Version : Lamppost Patch

smokeysabear
12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Hey all, I know that there has been a thread or two about the Lighthouse, but I think that this one will be a little different.

I just got my copy of the Dharma Edition of the Season 5 blu-ray. In it, there are a couple of Dharma patches for the jumpsuits, and one of them was a lighthouse (My camera is broken, so I can't post a picture quite yet).

So my question to you all is: Could the Lighthouse be some sort of unseen Dharma station/location? (If someone has theorised/posted spoiler info regarding this, I'm sorry). I just thought that a Dharma Initiative patch with a lighthouse on it would be significant, and the other threads seemed kinda dead...

MilesSmiles
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Hey all, I know that there has been a thread or two about the Lighthouse, but I think that this one will be a little different.

I just got my copy of the Dharma Edition of the Season 5 blu-ray. In it, there are a couple of Dharma patches for the jumpsuits, and one of them was a lighthouse (My camera is broken, so I can't post a picture quite yet).

So my question to you all is: Could the Lighthouse be some sort of unseen Dharma station/location? (If someone has theorised/posted spoiler info regarding this, I'm sorry). I just thought that a Dharma Initiative patch with a lighthouse on it would be significant, and the other threads seemed kinda dead...

Do you mean Lamp Post?

JulietDetonatesMyHeart
12-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah dude, that's the Lamp Post.

Greg
12-09-2009, 01:52 AM
According to spoilers there is a lighthouse on the island, it's unclear whether or not it's a dharma station though.

Dead Whispers
12-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Personally, I think the statue is the lighthouse. Light a big flame in its crown and signal ships from afar. I don't think this is another Dharma station.

orsonkidd
12-09-2009, 03:45 AM
yeah there is a "lighthouse" in the new spoilers...I think it was a part of one of the hangman games...and it might be where Sayid is being taken??? iirc.

the statue as a lighthouse is an interesting idea, but I do think it is another Dharma station.

JOHN LOCKE&LOAD
12-09-2009, 03:59 AM
that would be really cool if the statue was the lighthouse that jacob used to bring people to the island, and nemesis/smokey destroyed it to stop jacob from doing so.

Cloggy
12-09-2009, 04:58 AM
I think that the "lighthouse" refers to the statue in that you could see it for miles out to sea. I dont think it actually beamed light.

I would be very surpirsed it the lighthouse was anything DI related.

Dharma Quartermaster
01-04-2010, 11:32 PM
The "Lamp Post" patch is from the Dharma station that tracked the Island on the mainland, where they met Faraday's mother to get back to the island in season 5

REDSHIRT FOREVER
01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
*Changed name for accuracy's sake. :D *

BenthamLives
01-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, these are interesting theories and all but The Lamp Post already is a Dharma station off the island where the large pendulum was. This is where Eloise told them to take flight 316. Maybe I am pointing out the obvious and I like the idea of the statue being a light house but not sure that's accurate. I think Jacob summoned the black rock people the same way he did the losties, via the 'magic touch' we saw him do in the finale.

MilesSmiles
01-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I'm almost fairly positive the Lighthouse will have nothing to do with light (not in a 'light up a room' sense anyhow), houses, or lighthouses.

I'm probably wrong, but calling something a lighthouse is going to automatically make us associate it with a lighthouse, so I have to think it's got nothing to do with them.

m8o
01-06-2010, 04:35 AM
I'm almost fairly positive the Lighthouse will have nothing to do with light (not in a 'light up a room' sense anyhow), houses, or lighthouses.

I'm probably wrong, but calling something a lighthouse is going to automatically make us associate it with a lighthouse, so I have to think it's got nothing to do with them. Good point. A lighthouse can both a warning to keep away of hazard as well as a beacon to guide someone when they cannot see their way. What else? I'm sure other things as well. Fits well with the 'analogy' idea we're supposed to be getting. (well, haven't most of the Dharma station names been analogies? hasn't most of the relations and back-stories been analogies? ...nothing new to us. )

So the Lighthouse may be the 'beacon' that can be used to directly get on & off the island thru some sort of 'tear' ... makes me think Dharma doesn't/didn't know about it if so, as it seems only Richard & Jacob (the others?) used it. Probably within the temple "on-island".

...ok, enough babbling of things that either just entered my head or had been bouncing around in there whenever I thought of the upcoming season.

Spiritof89
01-07-2010, 02:05 AM
I agree that there is nothing to really indicate what the 'lighthouse' is, and it could easily be a reference to a 'symbolic' aspect of the story. I do think it is interesting, though, that there is an Egyptian theme that runs clearly through the ancient remains on the Island, and that the biggest lighthouse of the ancient world (one of the Seven Wonders of the World) was the Pharos in Alexandria, which is, of course, in Egypt. It is certainly true that the Pharos was built late in Egyptian history (in the time of Alexander the Great's successors) after Egypt had already endured as a civilization for thousands of years. But then, it is hard to say when the 'Egyptian' structures on the Island were actually erected - they might have been contemporary with Hellenistic Egypt. I have no idea what the connection might mean (or if there is a connection, or a parallel intended - say, the remains of an ancient lighthouse on the Island), but I find the idea interesting.

Another point that is intriguing is that ancient lighthouses were, in effect, burning beacons of wood or oil (before electricity became available) and there is a consistent pattern on the Island of beacons of black smoke being seen burning. It has never been indicated quite where this smoke comes from. It is certainly true that the Monster may be seen as smoke, but there seems to have been an indication by Danielle (way back in Season 1) that the presence of the Others was preceded by black columns of smoke. This did seem of relevance in Season 1 - Danielle misleads Charlie and Sayid by luring them away with her own fire in an attempt to confuse them and allow her to give Aaron to the Others, but the implication is that her fire is designed to mimic the smoke that precedes (for some reason) the coming of the Others. As far back as the pilot episode, there is an ambiguous statement by Kate when she says that she saw smoke in the jungle - it is probably safest to assume this is a reference to the burning started by other parts of the fallen 815 wreckage, but then, later in the season, the presence of smoke takes on such importance that it can be read as something more sinister. Again, I don't know if this actually has any connection to the Lighthouse theme, or if it will ever be explained (other than suggesting that the Monster = the smoke), but I have always felt that something more was intended to be suggested, at least back in Season 1 - maybe they've retconned the idea out of existence?

grumpymonkey
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Could the Lamp Post be a more modern interpretation of the function of the church cellar station? I'll have to go back to the Season 5 discs, but I'm pretty sure someone in the Dharma Initiative mentioned the Lamp Post as a humorous nickname for the place. It made me think of the lamppost in the Chronicles of Narnia. It's a place where you start off, and where you can find your way back.

As far as a lighthouse goes, couldn't it be a light house? As in, House of Light? The cellar where Ben got judged is a pretty dark place, and the home of Smokie (who might be the MiB). On the other hand, Jacob lives in the base of the statue. If we consider the roles Jacob/MiB take, it's pretty clear which is which, so that would make Jacob's home "The House of Light".

As far as how this all fits the theme? Well, there IS a big Egyptian feel to the place. MiB seems to have it out for humanity, or at least have a very dim view of their worth. Jacob seems more even handed, if a little brutal in his methods. The statue Jacob lives under could have been an actual lighthouse, leading folks to his door, or it could just be his place. If I were to interpret the roles of these two guys, and the purpose of the lighthouse/statue and the temple, I'd say it fits fairly well with Egyptian death and judgment mythology.

Anubis (Jacob), bearing an ankh (as does the odd-headed statue), leads the soul to the temple to be judged. His soul is weighed for all his past sins on the Scales of Justice, versus a feather of Maat, the goddess of justice. If the soul is lighter, it is sent on to a just reward. If not, it's devoured by Ammut, who is described as a chimerical beastie with crocodilian features, the body of a lion and the hid-end of a hippo, who relishes devouring the souls of the wicked...MiB? It would describe the interaction between the two... Ammut desiring the souls for himself, Anubis allowing for judgment based on worth (and according to myth, occasionally tipping the scales in favor of the soul with a tap of the ankh) and sending the worthy away from Ammut.

That begs the question... who is Richard, then? A dead soul used as a caretaker or high priest? A living man granted immortality by the two to keep living souls on the island in line? A long-lived butler cum social secretary? Who knows, perhaps he's Maat or something. I'm at the end of my speculative rope and have to wait for February to get more input!

Lover of Lost
01-12-2010, 05:05 AM
If you haven't read the latest spoilers, then this will be new for y'all, the lighthouse will be a jack centric episode, and hurley will accompany him to the lighthouse along with who knows who else, and there they'll se jacob's list, or a list, of some sorts

Sawyers_Stash
01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
I assumed the light house patch would be a lamp post reference? Though I have been out with sickness for a bit so maybe theres a light house episode? I need to do some hunting around to be sure I havent missed anything.

In any case...it would seem really crappy of TPTB to ok a item release for season 5 that is a spoiler for season 6.