PDA

View Full Version : I the temple of My familiars..

Lostlinks
01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I was reading a post on the other Lost theory site that was compairing Lost to
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordon. Upon reflection , I think that the novel by Alice Walker ' In the temple of my familiars' is closer in the structure and narrativfe of lost. While ITTOMF deals with race issuses and reworking of colonialism it still is a creation mythos..
hmm I never had the luxury or reading WOT but I've heard it was great, from the synop sounds like that is true. While not haveing a direct connection to lost, save the wheel, I do like that it is a drama about many centuries. It makes me think of the book " In the temple of my familiar. *Alice Walker* which deals with a a retelling of the creation mythos, and historical savagery.
I won't say that this tale is the basis for lost but its structure seems more so than WOT.
The island as character shows us its past, present and future, the ages of men, and how they have destoryed wared, and techonologised the world, only to seek their origin*Island ..where they can try again...Also what stuck out to me is that in the ealier age, man sat in haromony with its animal familiar- This reminded me of
Ana Lucia 2nd Season proclaimation " They are smart, they move without being seen and they're Animals! " ..also shades of Hurley Bird
Wikipedia except about Temple of my familiar...

" Less a character than a narrative device, Lissie enables Alice Walker to range back in time to the beginnings of (wo)man.
Here are just three of the ages in human evolution that Lissie lives through:
First, an age soon after the invention of fire, when humanfolk live in separate male and female tribes, at peace with their animal familiars. Here Lissie is incarnated as the first white-skinned creature, a man with insufficient melanin, who flees the heat of Africa for Europe. Hating the sun, he invents an alternative god in his own image, cold and filled with rage.
Next, an age of pygmies, when the man tribe and the woman tribe visit back and forth with each other and with the apes. This peaceful, happy age ends when men invent warfare, attack the apes and impose themselves on women as their sole familiars. Thus, says Ms. Walker (rewriting Rousseau and others), do patriarchy and the notion of private property come into being.
Third, the time of the war waged by Europe and monotheistic Islam against the Great Goddess of Africa. The instrument of this warfare is the slave trade (Lissie lives several slave lives). Its emblem is the Gorgon's head, the head of the Goddess, still crowned with the serpents of wisdom, cut off by the white hero-warrior Perseus.
These episodes from the past of (wo)mankind give some idea of the sweep of the myth Alice Walker recounts, a myth that inverts the places assigned to man and woman, Europe and Africa, in the male-invented myth called history.