+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: lostpedia.net : polish?

We don't want to start a war? So what if they use our images, it won't get too far. When it goes down the dump, one of us will bag the domain.

isnt there a way to sue for stealing

No. There are no disclamers or Creative Common License set for the domain, so it acts as a GNU/GPL 2.0/Share_Alike which means that you can use the information, edit it, and repack it under a different name without any linking or talk of the original maker. They technicly have the law on their Side, though it is morally wrong.

The only way to bypass this is to put a real disclamer on every page saying the info is copyright to us under a Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 (means you can use the info, but must link to or ask the original maker before using.)

Licenses Rock!
    Last edited by Logan; 08-17-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    They technicly have the law on their Side, though it is morally wrong.
    No, it is not morally wrong. That is the foundation of the license, and what most wikis are. If you're worried about someone taking what you post, (and/or editing it mercilessly), ***THEN DON'T POST IT***. It might even be argued it's "morally wrong" to distribute content freely under such a license, then bitch about it later when other parties take you at your word.

You can take information (sometimes changing it depending on the license), if not for profit. If you just reproduce someone else's content (text or images) under such a license, then that may be lame, but not wrong.

EXCEPTION: of course we don't own episode images from Lost (owned by ABC/Disney). Presumably such use falls under 'fair use.' It just cracks me up to see sites like lost-media watermarking their screencaps, which implies some for of ownership.

BOTTOM LINE: I do agree the polish site's borrowing information is in poor taste, and the adoption of our logo is even poorer. However, given time and a larger membership, the nature of all wikis are that their content will soon diverge and become very different than lostpedia, so I wouldn't worry. Only if it stays small will it stay extremely similar to lostpedia, in which case again, we need not worry due to its insignificance. Live and let live, they aren't taking our readership, or detracting from our site traffic, by any means. So why let it ruin your day; just forget about them.
    Last edited by Santa; 08-19-2006 at 03:52 AM.

another polish version of Lostpedia popped up, it looks like they are copying Lostpedia.net.
    "Do I look like I give a damn?"

Kevin - have you registered Lostpedia as a trademark? Might want to setup a Lostpedia foundation or something.

Genhinnom, The Valley of Gehenna, Mexico D. F.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
    Those bastards, I can still edit though. koolaidman do you speak polish? Which son of a bitch called me that? I need to think of a username beside Captain Insano and doesn't have a thing to do with Lostpedia. Any good ideas?
    Give yourself an upgrade, here are some ideas from the top of my head:
    Major Mayhem
    Admiral Bedlam
    Miles Mayhem (like the bad guy in M.A.S.K.)
    Lord of Pain
    ThePwnerOfWorlds
    TheFoolKiller (a short lived Marvel comics series)
    SlayerOfSanity (this was for a time my choice for my Death Metal group)
    HarbingerOfLunacy

Reverend C. Augusto Valdés
    Discordian pope Cäsänövä Fränkënstëïn the Younger.
    Lord of the Umlaut.
    Chaplain of the Sacred Order of the Knights of the Living Dead.
    Perma-banned from the PVP forum.

The LOSTPEDIA.NET is Polish version of this page.When Poles created LOSTPEDIA.NET, they did not want to do on anger this page, to make Polish version only( copy) page LOSTPEDIA.COM (Look, they on main page wrote the thanks of for LOSTPEDIA.COM even, and they explained that they want to create Polish version LOSTPEDIA.COM)

Default dede from lostpedia.net

Listen Pepole!
    We don't want to steal anything! We appreciate and admire your lostpedia.com! But unfortunately not all of us in poland know English, so we want to make accessible polish version of lostpedia. On the mainpage we've placed the lostpedia.com link and info.

This ain't our fault the many of users stealing photos and other things from lostpedia.com

We want to talk with admin the new page- www.pl.lostpedia.com.
    We want to merge our forces, but the administraitor is didn't give us any answer :/

Considering the fact that you only have 60-70 pages and little number of members image hijacking is somthing you should be able to control.

We put a lot of work into losttpedia.com please don't take what we have without asking
    Currently reading: Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure

+ Reply to Thread