+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do about Wikipedia

Default What to do about Wikipedia

Since the general RC police on the Lost article at wikipedia get a bit rabid at the sight of fan websites listed in their article, what are some possible alternatives?

I'm thinking simply creating something like a "List of Lost (TV series) websites" article. We could separate it into fansites, scam sites, and TLE sites, which would be very easy given our existing resources on this content... and of course wiki sites.

I think the best way to get Lostpedia included in the Wikipedia is to keep doing what we're doing:

1) Improve Lostpedia by:
    - Expanding current articles
    - Creating additional relevant articles
    - Growing our talented userbase
    - Making Lostpedia articles available to more users through multi lingual versions
    Here's the bottom line. Lostpedia is an extremely valuable resource that, IMO, will be in Wikipedia eventually. Although a listing or even a link in the Wikipedia would be great, Lostpedia doesn't need anything from Wikipedia to continue it's growth or to accomplish any of our other goals.

With the addition of the forums, lostpedia.com has all the bases covered. I found this site with google while looking for a 'lost wiki' and since finding it, I have been pining for a forum to discuss my thoughts. In short, I think you will do just fine if you keep doing what you've been doing.

i agree with admin; if editors continue to expand and improve the wiki here, eventually it will reach a critical mass that is undeniably deserving of a wiki article... for us that means more work improving the quality and (especially) the references on articles, for them that means they have to stop being nazis^H^H^H^H^H^H^H... sorry, i mean revise wikipedia policy on what constitutes an article worthy of inclusion... see this article for many, many valid criticisms of the way things work there. it's sort of an internet inevitability in a way... once a site reaches a certain size, cliques and elitism and many other crappy things are inevitable.

I got a hold of the original content from the Lostpedia article. I'll copy and paste it here:

''(GFDL notice: content below copied from the [[Lostpedia]] article, author attribution is in the deleted edit history of that page)''
    ----
    {{Infobox_Website
    |websitename = Lostpedia
    |screenshot = <nowiki>[[Image:Lostpedia-website.png|200px|Lostpedia's website on 09 April, 2006]]</nowiki>
    |commercial = No
    |type = Reference / [[Wiki]]
    |reg = Optional
    |owner = Communal
    |author = [[You]]
    }}

'''Lostpedia''' is a an unofficial [[Lost (TV series)|Lost]] wiki.

Lostpedia wiki was set up in order to keep track of the numerous mysteries, facts, and theories surrounding [[American_Broadcasting_Company|ABC's]] series [[Lost (TV series)|Lost]]. We would like this wiki to evolve into a free and open directory of knowledge about [[Lost (TV series)|Lost]].
    <div style="clear: both"></div>
    <nowiki>==External links==</nowiki>
    *[http://lostpedia.com Lostpedia's Main Page]
    ----
    ''(copying ends)''

I requested the info to be restored only in a user talk page so I could see it, under the rights of WP that "they may suspect that an article has been wrongly deleted but are unable to tell without seeing what exactly was deleted".

Anyway, as soon as the info was released, a Wiki user sent a threat - "Note that as deleted and reviewd/endorsed keeping this in userspace for more than a short while may be problematic".

No other restored material ever gets this kind of response, and it was posted in a talk page, so has no reason to be challenged when the content is unoffensive.

I did some digging, seems the user who posted that comment was also involved in deleting Lostpedia in the first place! So, months after the original delete, this user is still around and is obviously keeping tabs on any initiative to combat the decision. Thus, it does seem there's some Wiki vendetta against us

i wouldn't go so far as to say there's a vendetta there: the admin in question has a long history of good contributions/admin work over there. perhaps it's fair to say that he applies WP:WEB et al without any degree of flexibility, but that's not the same thing as a vendetta.

turning the dispute into an us vs. them type scenario serves no purpose, and is counterproductive.

someone ought to ask speaker to 'ask damon' (lol, the irony) to mention lostpedia in a podcast. then we have a degree of notability, and something to work with.

I've been thinking the same thing. I've had some correspondence with Other Girl in the past and so I'll drop her an email. I'll also try for Speaker afterwards

EDIT: Also I realise it was wrong of me to diss the Wiki user above, in discussion I see he's just doing things by the book and I can't hold that against him. He's even given me advice on how I should look after the original format for the time being. I do have respect for him and regret what I said.
    Last edited by nickb123; 08-05-2006 at 09:09 PM.

If you have a Wikipedia account, please login and voice your opinion regarding the link to lostpedia.com from the Lost (TV Series) article. By posting this here I am not asking anyone to vote either way. Please keep your comments mature and respectful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lo...l_Links_Survey

+ Reply to Thread