+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: **Special LP Debate Event With DocArzt**

Arrow **Special LP Debate Event With DocArzt**

For this week only, DocArzt will join the Official Lostpedia Debate to discuss this week’s topic - SPOILERS!

This debate will be organised slightly differently.

The judges would like all members from the forums and IRC to post their ideas on the issues to be debated. These will be issues from both sides - the pros and cons of spoilers

Two sets of five issues (ten in total) will be selected by the debate judges and sent to DocArzt.

The selected issues will be given to each team (five each) shortly before the actual debate begins.

This may give him the upper hand as to the arguments themselves but to be fair each team will be comprised of two people vs the lonely lonesome cowboy Doc.

Prior to each issue being debated the teams and DocArzt will have approx two minutes to consider their arguments except for the first issue being discussed when each will have four minutes.

The debate on each issue will last around 10 minutes.

Please post in this thread what you would like DocArzt and the teams to debate!

If you’re not on this week’s teams do come along and watch in the #Lostpedia IRC Chat
    Last edited by KittyLili114; 06-04-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Thank you LC

Corner office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, & Pryce

I'd like to know what each side thinks about the implication of TPTB's efforts and to quell spoilers. (fewer interviews, fewer hints, etc)

Hey guys, only two days left before the debate with Doc!
    Please post here the issues/topicds/arguments that you would like Doc to debate with the teams!

Be part of this historic Lostpedia Event!

what points are being argued? I have some I'd like to see argued. I posted them in my OP last month

<3 shirin <3
    من شیرین را دوست دارم

"There is nothing now, or ever has been, in this galaxy, or any other universes, both tangible and parallel, that could ever come within a 6 inch pole of being compared to, or uttered in the same sentence, as the majestic perfectedness that is MMJ" - LoG

What are your views on those unable to watch Lost when America does reading spoilers, in order to participate on fan sites?

(Not very good, sorry... )

You guys could debate if reading spoilers makes watching LOST less enjoyable than not knowing anything that is going to happen.
    Ben's Wife and Constant
    Disclaimer: Bad Speller
    Commando Carbon, the resident nympho = OBFF
    Blacx and Lola are my LP siblings.
    Illy and Chris are angels!

AD=FTMFW!

Thanks to Penny for the smokin hott banner.
    Cori <3s Me and he is my Antony.
    /me is Malion's Pam.
    Moonshiner is my concubine.

Default Questions for Doc

1. How do you determine the reliability of spoilers?
    2. Have you ever been duped and posted an incorrect "spoiler"?
    3. If you have an inside connection, are you concerned at all that the person could lose their job? Or is that completely their responsibility?
    4. Do you pay or in any other way reimburse your sources?
    5. Have you ever received a spoiler from an "official" source? (ie. Someone authorized at the highest level deliberately releases a spoiler through you for the public.) If not, would you?
    6. Would you post a spoiler if you knew it would give away the overall story line (ie Matthew Fox calls and tells you what he supposedly knows)
    7. Would you post a spoiler if it would solve one of the major mysteries? (eg. Smokey)
    In an aside I'd like to thank the mods on LP for being so diligent. I was able to view the Season Finale with no idea of what was coming. THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Leiaor; 06-05-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added another question
    It's Leiaor as in "Hanso"

also thank you. I hate spoilers

how about...

Who is your source???

lol jk. Maybe:

Do you take any personal measures at your site or wherever you reveal the spoilers so that people who don't want to be spoiled (like me, and the majority of LOST viewers) aren't spoiled?
    4 8 15 16 23 42 EXECUTE 108

Lostpedia User Page: Phoénix

I posted these originally:

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaDave
    The debate could center around a number of things:

1) do spoilers really ruin a show?
    2) do spoilers ruin a certain moment?
    3) are they ethical?
    4) source of spoilers
    5) taking away "shock value"
    6) the idea of knowing something before hand/etc
    7) why do YOU read spoilers
    8) why do you NOT read spoilers
    9) are different types of spoilers ok (minor ones, major ones)
    10) are scene-by-scene (old lostfan108) spoilers "worse" than minor spoilers?
    etc...

NO SPECIFIC SPOILERS WOULD BE DEBATED, JUST THE TOPIC OF SPOILERS RELATING TO LOST .
    some of them are similar, but thats what I got. Interestingly enough, DocArzt called lostfan108 an "asshat" for releasing spoilers in the first place. It'll be interesting to see what he says during the debate
    Last edited by AlaskaDave; 06-06-2008 at 02:12 AM.

<3 shirin <3
    من شیرین را دوست دارم

"There is nothing now, or ever has been, in this galaxy, or any other universes, both tangible and parallel, that could ever come within a 6 inch pole of being compared to, or uttered in the same sentence, as the majestic perfectedness that is MMJ" - LoG

At first I didn't think the topic of spoilers would make an interesting debate. Clearly they are protected by free speech. LP forum rules pretty much protect those who don't want to read them. So those who love them can read them and those who hate them can avoid them. BUT for those of us who don't want to be spoiled it can sometimes be a hassle. For example, I almost never log to the LP forum on Thursdays unless it's really early in the day. During this last build up I didn't visit the forum for days. I DID decide to visit some Lostpedia pages just to review stuff like the blast door map (I had to get my fix somehow!) and saw that everything was closed down (under edit lock). It's gotta be a huge inconvenience when the Mods have to watch every possible page for vandalism and when we as viewers have to stop visiting this site.
    So yes spoilers have to be allowed, but what I don't get is why some people, like the dreaded "sickness", have this need to infect all of us.
    It's Leiaor as in "Hanso"

+ Reply to Thread