View Poll Results: What book should LLL read in December?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Brief History of Time

9 20.93%
  • Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

3 6.98%
  • Catch-22

13 30.23%
  • The Invention of Morel

2 4.65%
  • The Third Policeman

16 37.21%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Old voting thread

Default Old voting thread

Hi everyone, please see the latest blog post concerning the book club here.

As mentioned in the post, I'm going to be posting September's book title as early as next week to give a good length of time's notice for readers. So, what title should it be?

You can vote here, I know people have already proposed titles elsewhere, and sorry to make you repeat yourself in this thread. However, please note that at this time, we're looking for books that aren't too long - Carrie is about 250 max, and while some stuff like The Third Policeman is a decent lengths, things like Our Mutual Friend I believe is at over 900! While I know one shouldn't just discount a book on its length, we need to be realistic (especially when we are just starting out) about what is an appropriate group read! So please bear this in mind when discussing, and I'll be making a decision in about a week or so, and then will reveal the September book on August 2nd in the blog post announcing the start of reading Carrie.

Thanks as ever for all the support, it really means a lot!
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

Lord of the Flies maybe? It's a great book and it's under 200 pages. I know Lost has kind of moved on into a more science fiction type genre but still survival on an island and how characters interact with each other is at the heart of the show.
    He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is pretty short and simple and would be very interesting to discuss. There is some violence, if I recall correctly.

Little Red Riding Hood is really short and everyone knows the general plot. Maybe for December when the holiday rush is pressing us for time, so we can just do a quick L3.

Personally, I would really like to read Island by Adous Huxley but it's 368 pages long and rather dark.

Also, on the ABC website, they organize the books by dialogue, show theme, and background. Carrie is in the "Background" list so you may want to continue with books listed under "Background." Alternatively, you might do it by season and-since Carrie is under Season 3-continue with books that inspired parts of Season 3.

Hope this helps.

The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells

My favorite episode from this past season borrows its title from this book. I'm pretty up for anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by FourToes View Post
    The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells

My favorite episode from this past season borrows its title from this book. I'm pretty up for anything though.
    I'd like to read that, but my library doesn't have it so I couldn't participate if we read that. I'm gonna vote for:

The Wizard of Oz

Alice In Wonderland!

"I saw a shadow, And I knew that it wasn't mine."

Through the Looking Glass

Question, is it called Alice in Wonderland or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? But I would like to read that as well. I think we should read The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland cause those seem to be referenced the most in Lost. And by the way, you so stole my idea of pretty coloured, large font book titles, AC.

Why not The Stand or On Writing both by Stephen King

but The Shape Of Things To Come sounds like a good read

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea07 View Post
    Question, is it called Alice in Wonderland or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? But I would like to read that as well. I think we should read The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland cause those seem to be referenced the most in Lost. And by the way, you so stole my idea of pretty coloured, large font book titles, AC.
    The title of the book is Alice's Advendtures in Wonderland, but the Disney movie adaptation was called Alice in Wonderland. It's a pretty short book too, although it could be a bit too short, it can easily be read in a day or two.
    He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt

Closed Thread