+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Esperanto

hmmmm.....this is getting interesting.

Breezy I feel dizzy, won't you help me up...

Quote Originally Posted by theotherbilly View Post
    This is sort of relevent
    yeah, i saw that when i was looking for a connection, but i can't find anything else more in depth linking Rousseau to Esperanto. i did find something about the Jean-Jacques Rousseau Institute teaching Esperanto. . .

Still awaiting the triumphant return of Team Types-A-Lot and Team ARG All-Nighter. . . .

Random things and thoughts...
    While I was looking for Rousseau and Zamenhof I came across another philosopher whos name had been zapped from my brain by time, John Locke.

The concept of a social contract, which was embodied in the American Declaration of Independence, is often credited to Thomas Hobbles, John Locke or Jean-Jacques Rousseau. (hmmm just a coincidence?)

Esperanto was first published in 1887 by the name 'Lingvo Internacia' by Ludwig Zamenhof under the pseudonym Doktoro Esperanto ('Doctor Hopeful'). (just seemed interesting....)

I also found out that Rousseau was an opera composer (maybe nothing of value, but music was on the 'list' of possiable meanings of universal language)

Way too much to sort out. Guess I am going to hop back on the Merry-go-round.
    The first step is to admit you have a problem......

also thought it was relevant that Zamenhof was a ophthamologist (remember the "eye/i" clues)

and his idea was to create a single language to promote peace amongst all nations. . . seems very dharma-y.

Still awaiting the triumphant return of Team Types-A-Lot and Team ARG All-Nighter. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkDharmaBeer View Post
    omg. i think i found something. now help me make something of it:

i wikipedia'ed December 15 and found that day is Zamenhof Day

now with Jessie Heiman's facebook page mentioning something about the universal language. . . this is VERY relevant! Zamenhof is the creator of Esperanto the most widely spoken international language!!!

there is some connection to Rousseau, "Patience is Bitter but its fruit is sweet", and Esperanto also. . . i'm just having trouble finding exactly what it is. . . can anyone help?

now what do we do with this info? or is Jessie sending us on a wild swan hunt?
    DharmaBeer, I want to believe. I'm just not following. This chain of maybe-clues hinges on the veracity of a comment on Jesse Heiman's facebook page, a quote we don't even have. Plus it's Jesse Heiman's page, not Dan Bronson's, so I'm thinking it's not part of the ARG. In fact I was under the impression that Jesse's role was over and he's currently not contracted to ABC. But I could be wrong. The only other clue we have is that Dec 15 is Zamenhof day, but a search for December 15 would yield a bunch of pretty random results. Finally, I'm not convinced that this relates to Rousseau, and I don't understand why it needs to. I think the Rousseau quote has run it's course. It was the punchline to a nasty joke: cheaters never prosper. There's a whole six degrees of separation thing going on with famous scholars. If you try hard enough you can link Zamenhof with Rousseau, Rousseau with Saussure, Saussure with Einstein, and Einstein with Faraday.

I hate to be a wet blanket, I really do. I just think we're clutching at straws.

P.S. I actually have no idea how to link Saussure and Einstein.

Well hell if nothing else we are getting a great history lesson.... Ya my glass is half full.... I just haven't topped off my coke with wiskey yet.

Quote Originally Posted by booradley View Post
    DharmaBeer, I want to believe. I'm just not following. This chain of maybe-clues hinges on the veracity of a comment on Jesse Heiman's facebook page, a quote we don't even have. Plus it's Jesse Heiman's page, not Dan Bronson's, so I'm thinking it's not part of the ARG. In fact I was under the impression that Jesse's role was over and he's currently not contracted to ABC. But I could be wrong. The only other clue we have is that Dec 15 is Zamenhof day, but a search for December 15 would yield a bunch of pretty random results. Finally, I'm not convinced that this relates to Rousseau, and I don't understand why it needs to. I think the Rousseau quote has run it's course. It was the punchline to a nasty joke: cheaters never prosper. There's a whole six degrees of separation thing going on with famous scholars. If you try hard enough you can link Zamenhof with Rousseau, Rousseau with Saussure, Saussure with Einstein, and Einstein with Faraday.

I hate to be a wet blanket, I really do. I just think we're clutching at straws.
    i appreciate your skepticism.

but even without the Jessie garbage, Zamenhof seems like a good lead. dates seem to have a lot of relevance in Lost, so why not? the fact that they gave us a date sooooo far away. . . they had to know someone would look it up. so why not make it a clue?

also about Rousseau. he is a recurring clue. patience is bitter, the default b-day being July 17 '78 and he died on July 2 1778, the FRENCH proverb about the honest man, possible french dialogue in the chang video. . . not to mention how often the patience quote has been crammed into our brains.

clutching at straws is my hobby. but, these are pretty decent sized straws if you ask me. . . mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkDharmaBeer View Post
    . . . mark my words.
    Okay.

When trying to solve a problem one of the biggest set backs you can have is over thinking it. Maybe we need to step back and look at the known. Greek Gods played a big part in this game. Time and Essence has been repeated. Now I believe our path may not be leading us to one philosopher in particular but as a whole. Also I was reading an artical about Dhrama at the Con. People were asked what was their constant? Then later 'Hans' said The Constant was his favorite episode. Sometimes the easiest way to put a puzzle together is to start with the edges.

+ Reply to Thread