+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "A Brief History of Time" is May's read. Propose future reads here!

Default "A Brief History of Time" is May's read. Propose future reads here!

Watchmen will be the read for January 09, and the book club will continue running all through Season 5 and potentially beyond if interest remains. Rather than voting on short-listed titles, however, we will now have qualitative arguments on what future books should be read, and we'll make decisions from there. If this means creating a set schedule then so be it.

This method should expand the literature we read, and hopefully mean we read some of the more obscure books explicitly referenced on Lost, even if they don't necessarily have huge popularity with mainstream readers. So get discussing guys, and I for one look forward to reading your passionate responses!
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

It would be great to have Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island as one of the books. Quite a few connections to Lost, and available free at Wikisource.
    Quote Originally Posted by myllian View Post
    I think 'perdidos' means 'lost' in Spanish, so perdiphile = lost lover. (I'm just guessing)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeagleislander View Post
    It would be great to have Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island as one of the books. Quite a few connections to Lost, and available free at Wikisource.
    The premise of The Mysterious Island certainly seems interesting and very relevant to Lost but after reading 20,000 Leagues under the sea when I was younger, I was completely put off Jules Verne. I don't know if you've read any of his other books but 20,000 leagues was very tedious and slow, full of useless description that just slowed the progression of the plot, which would have been a lot more interesting if the book had been half the size. I don't know how thick The Mysterious Island is though.

I would like to read Homer's Odyssey as this has a strong connection to Desmond's plot line, although again, I imagine it would be a fairly long read.

For anbody who hasn't read it, I would definitely recommend Of Mice and Men, which was quoted by Ben in Every Man for Himself. It is one of my all time favourite books but I haven't read it since school and I would love to read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyTay View Post
    The premise of The Mysterious Island certainly seems interesting and very relevant to Lost but after reading 20,000 Leagues under the sea when I was younger, I was completely put off Jules Verne. I don't know if you've read any of his other books but 20,000 leagues was very tedious and slow, full of useless description that just slowed the progression of the plot, which would have been a lot more interesting if the book had been half the size. I don't know how thick The Mysterious Island is though.
    I read The Mysterious Island over the summer. I had heard that Jules Verne can be pretty tedious and very descriptive, so I was wary, but it ended up being a fun read. The action is well paced, and when he did what to explain the science of something, it was done in context and didn't go on longer than necessary . It made me think about how I'd fare on a uncharted island. In reading it I found some connections to the Lost world but in the end I enjoyed the book on it's own merits. I'd recommend it.

What about "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce? John Locke pulled it off the bookcase in the Hatch. It's very short, no more than a few pages. So it might need to be paired with something else. It's available from Project Gutenburg and a few other places online. He also has a story called "Psychological Shipwreck" that is quote good.
    Last edited by an other; 12-06-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    The Others. Songs about Lost.
    It's stressful being an other.

Default our mutual friend

i want to read our mutual friend.
    im just curious to see what its about, bein that it was the last book desmon intended to read

Hi! I'm planning on joining the BC discussions next month--maybe sooner if I have time. I am very excited about the choice of "Watchmen" because although it has to be one of the most depressing books I've ever read, I think it has strong parallels to "Lost" and may point to how the series will end. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it.
    It's Leiaor as in "Hanso"

Ulysses by James Joyce would be an interesting choice for February? x
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

Watchmen?
    Oh yeah please. I already own it. First time this has happened in the Book Club.
    Absolutely fantastic read. Didn't put it down from start to finish.... With the movie out in March too, its a great call!

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross" - Sinclair Lewis

WATCHMEN!!
    I love Watchmen..
    It's just brilliant

Long time no LP *ashamed* But I am baaack

Sweet!

I get to dig out my old copy. It's a great influence of the show, and an awesome read!

Preston&Steve are my constant.

+ Reply to Thread