+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss "Watchmen" (main thread)

Default Discuss "Watchmen" (main thread)

Happy New Year all! It's January, so it's time for the Book Club to read "Watchmen", the famed graphic novel also set to become a blockbuster smash this year when it is adapted to the big screen.

Hope you all enjoy it, and find it a great way to start your new reading year.
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

I just finished this book. WOW. It was amazing. I have never read a graphic book before but LOVED this one. The parallels to Lost were amazing!!

* Dr Manhatten/Jon:
    - his perception of time - "unstuck" from time, can see the future but is powerless to change it
    - the photo with Janey - similiar to Desmond/Penny photo

* Laurie - her description of the snowglobe - and time is different inside "slow time"

* Treasure Island
    - description of the pirate comics - similiar to Lost (i.e. several characters with tails that all lead them to joining the ship)
    - description of "Between Breaths" - with the reference to "alternating between memories from his past life as tehy flash before his bluging eyes and horrific descriptios of what it is like to drown". This is an obivous literacy technique that Lost has used with flashbacks/flashforwards.

I loved it, without a doubt the best read yet in the LLL.

I've mentioned a few times here on the board that I loved the book and read it because of the show (and the upcoming movie).

The back cover of my copy has a quote from Damon Lindelof. Sweetness.

The Desmond/Dr. Manhattan connection just jumps off the page. I'm sure the writers would admit that this is where they got the idea for the specific way that Desmond sees the future.

I also like that there are Rose & Bernard connections. Bernard in Watchmen is the guy who runs the newspaper stand. He states at one point that he was married to a woman named Rose who died of cancer. And now we have our Rose & Bernard on the island. I like to think of it as the writers were kind enough to give Bernard his wife back.

If it's about a future episode then it's a spoiler.

I thought it was interesting that in Watchmen, they can all unite when there is a common enemy (at least that's the logic at the end of the book about humanity). However, on LOST they can't seem to do this and are still heavily split down the middle when the Others are around and the Freighter folk.

Also HATED all sections where the little boy read a book within a book - and just didn't get it.
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

This was the first time I read it and while I wasn't overly impressed it was definitely worth the read. The biggest similarity between WATCHMEN and LOST that I saw was the character study of heros & villains. Neither side sticks to their "assigned roles." I see a strong connection between Ozymandias and Ben (possibly Jacob, as well).

I also tired of the "story in a story." I'm sure it has some literary merit, but I just don't see it.

diggler's rules of ettiquette
    1) No punching me in the face!
    2) When I punch you in the face, you tell me how you feel...so I can write that down...on my clipboard.
    3) NO TOUCHING MY CLIPBORD!

Quote Originally Posted by nickb123 View Post
    ...Also HATED all sections where the little boy read a book within a book - and just didn't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by diggler View Post
    ...I also tired of the "story in a story." I'm sure it has some literary merit, but I just don't see it.
    Well, in the context of the "back story" Alan Moore created (with Dave Gibbons), it makes sense. This was published by DC Comics in the 1980's when Marvel dominated the industry. Moore and Gibbons, Spoiler Below
    in showing another Earth where Nixon remained president, Vietnam became the 51st state, etc.,
    wanted to show that there were differences in the comic book industry too. It was a tribute also to Joe Orlando, one of the early comic artists (and later editor at DC), who cut his teeth on pirate comics. I think they wanted some Spoiler Below
    parallelism between what was happening on the island and the departing freighter, so they used the "story within a story" to try to achieve that.

I agree, it is hard to get through, but it shows the degradation of human values and decisions when faced with traumatic choices based on faulty information.

HyM

Quote Originally Posted by Horapolo ylem'Moritasgus View Post
    I agree, it is hard to get through, but it shows the degradation of human values and decisions when faced with traumatic choices based on faulty information.
    That was sort of my take on the Black Freighter comic. I also liked the sections of Under the Hood but I could have done without Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas.

Quote Originally Posted by scocub View Post
    That was sort of my take on the Black Freighter comic. I also liked the sections of Under the Hood but I could have done without Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas.
    I re-read my copy a few months ago but don't now remember "Pallas." I'll look at that.

In some ways the graphic novel's impact in the overall comic book industry has waned or been replicated, such as the idea of super-heroes being banned or outlawed, etc. (it was even carried over to Disney's The Incredibles). We can talk about its similarities to LOST, of which there are many. I checked The Comics Journal online to see what if any I could find on the graphic novel or the movie, and there is surprisingly not much. There is one thread on the message board there recently started by Robert Stanley Martin regarding a series of four articles he has posted, although none look specific to Watchmen:

"Alan Moore and characterization"

http://tcj.com/messboard/viewtopic.p...light=watchmen

HyM

Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas was about owls, if that helps.

I do see a parrallel thematical with Lost, although it is impossible to tell until the series is over, that a greater good can come out of an act that appears of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by scocub View Post
    Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas was about owls, if that helps.

I do see a parrallel thematical with Lost, although it is impossible to tell until the series is over, that a greater good can come out of an act that appears of evil.
    Oh, yeah, thanks.

I'm trying not to let this become a dialogue between you and me, Scocub. Maybe this will break out when the bowl games are over?

HyM

+ Reply to Thread