+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinasaur Hed Cult Primer

Default Dinasaur Hed Cult Primer

There is a phenomenon now on the Off Topic forum called “dinasaur head on lost” that has taken on cult status. Here is a primer gleaned from several messages that is an introduction to the mechanics of the thread. I personally do not have the skills to produce these, but I stand in awe of those who do! As it is said, "Those who can't, teach." I place it here so I will not break one commandment of the Dinasaur Hed Cult: “Thou shalt not murder the funny.”

I'm editing in some posts to explain the process, one recent one from Lost Rabbi, the other two in modified form from posts farther along by Dead Whispers and Paperknives. I hope this will encourage people more readily to keep reading and get some fundamentals for your very own DH's!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Rabbi View Post
    To help you out, here is the general recipe for Hed:

Ingredients:
    A conversation on LP...almost always someone else's...it's rare and somewhat taboo to DH yourself

Screen caps from the show, which are generally from the same scene, in the same order and unaltered

1. Combine ingredients in some program or other (I use Paint, personally)
    2. Stir well

Please be in touch with someone on here if you have any questions about how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Whispers View Post
    "DH'ing" someone involves using something they said in an abstract context coupled with LOST screencaps, making the characters on the show perform a little comic strip where the person being "DH'ed" is usually made to come off as a complete nutcase.

DH'ing stands for Dinasaur Heading--yes, that's a verb. Why? Because in the Dinasaur head on LOST thread, it spiralled from a crazy theory backed by someone with a pretty adolescent grasp on the English Language was the one backing it, and became hostile towards those who opposed his sloppy posting style and his idea that Smokey is an invisible dinosaur that you can also see....

...I think one of the things that makes it such a funny for of "art" is because one major parts of the LOST engine is the perpetuation of confusion, both to the audience, and in the characters involved. There are tons of screen caps with the actors doing some ridiculous "WFT are you talking about??" faces and they work well in conjecture with far out quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by paperknives View Post
    DW - that was a great description, it's the type of thing that once you start trying to explain it, it immediately becomes less funny. I feel like those who don't get it would probably make lousy DH's anyways, so maybe the way you broke it down will help people "get" the huge inside joke going on. "Read the thread" seems a simple solution, and like 123 said, if you can't get it from just looking at it, well....

To me, it was a joke on top of a joke, having the characters ask the same less-than-considered questions we are flooded with on the boards - it sort of softens the blow, and hopefully, opens the eyes (or, that was my original intention at least) because back in the day, AYAOTS was seemingly so befuddled with his own conversations that it became a daunting task trying to even talk "reason" with him, so I then sought visual aid

All "insult" aside, I was hoping he'd "see" what he was typing on this board, see why no one could understand what the F he was talking about, and in turn, why he was getting the response he was getting... (ultimately a futile effort, oh well) A prime example:

...but as it evolved and other people started making their own, it became something even more poignant and curious, and I would have never guessed in a million years that image would yeild the DHC! I love where some of you have taken the joke, utilizing the juxtapositions of what was happening on the scene Vs. our own confused dialogs, it makes for a hilarious range of expressions and comedic perceptions, something above and beyond my own initial "you're a clueless duncecap" joke

To those that don't get it or think it's lame or whatnot - it simply may not be the thread for you. No big whoop. But I still recommend reading and feeding the hed, you may like what you gain in return
    Previously on “dinasaur hed on lost…”

Yeah...OR...could we have the instructions put somewhere on the first page? I wouldn't want to destroy the integrity of the original post...but maybe edit it into one of the early responses?
    I wouldn't want to give the readers the impression that the thread is some kind of computer art display right in the middle of all the hilarious arguing. Part of the beauty of this thread is the evolution into utter madness. Anyone with enough dedication can figure it out.

So beith the way of the Hed.
    I’ve gleaned these unedited from past posts. I hope I haven’t left anyone’s contribution out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Ranch Dressing View Post
    DH noob question: How are you guys putting all 3 panels into one file? On my DH, each panel is a separate jpg file...yours all appear to be just 1 jpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Stratton View Post
    Well, I'm working in Photoshop. I take the first screencap and increase the canvas size, shifting all the new space underneath it. After adding the remaining panels, I crop to fit final size.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    The grandeur of copy and paste, plus Paint or anything more sophisticated...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAllEverybody21 View Post
    yeah i use paint
    just make the size to fit by pulling the bottom
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerCallsMeGrimace View Post
    What are you using to do the DH. Pain.net, Photoshop, Paint? I usually Paint.net at this point. I paste each frame into a new layer and then change the canvas size to three times the height of one panel (sometimes you gotta tweak it a little bit to fit it exactly). Once I have each panel in place I merge all the panels. I then start a new layer for the text. I merge each new layer once the text is completed and in place for each panel. One note: Paint.net does not have a drop shadow as one of their default effects. You can dowload a plugin for it though and extract it to the effects folder in your Pain.net directory. If you need any clarification on any of this let me know. I've never done it in Paint so I don't know much there. I like Paint.net over Photoshop for this because it's easier to just 'copy' a screencap from the web and paste into a layer of Paint.net instead of saving each screencap or opening each individual project in Photoshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    Paint.net is pretty much a godsend (or Hed-send) for any of these...considering it's free. *stamp of approval*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Ranch Dressing View Post
    I just used the photo editing feature on photobucket.com. I'll try paint.net. I have a Mac but I don't have any of the photo editing upgrades that would let me insert text onto an image. At least none that I can find.

Thanks for the tips!
    Later in the Hed Thread…

...I'm still working on figuring out how to make the sizes work...but enjoy in the meantime
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerCallsMeGrimace View Post
    Host it on photobucket.
    ...There's a few approaches. I use MSpaint. I go to lost-media and check out the screen cap collections, then add text with the background box omitted. Save it as a Jpeg, then host it here or elsewhere and it should come out in the same size as the way you saved the file when you created it. Hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by saxon. the don. View Post
    try making it in paint but making all of them on one image. open two paints.

on one of them, open the first frame, select and copy or cut it out. in the second paint, go to options > attributes and change the height to be big enough and wide enough to fit all frames.

keep opening the individual frames in the first paint and copy/pasting them into the second paint (with the xtra large canvas)

once you have all of them on there on the second paint, use the ABC function (transparent option selected) to put in the text and then change the attributes again to cut out the extra white space surrounding the DH. viola! your own personal DH!
    Sh*t, I thought I was the only one who knew about the Two Paint Finger%#@!...
    So beith the primer unto all the ages...

Gilli
    Last edited by Gilliganista!; 03-08-2009 at 04:24 AM. Reason: additional material upfront

The perfect solution!! Thanks, Gilli!!!
    Thanks, Barney!

Thanks, LC!

Bet you didn’t see that one coming. Chuck Norris can bite me.

AD <3 LoRab <3 AD

Great work Gilli. So sayeth the primer.

Attached Images

7-to-13 frame DHCs discussion

...I usually host them here just because imagehole is about as consistent as Oprah's diet during the holidays when it comes to reliable hosting, but when I hosted it here, LP shrunk it. I'm guessing due to the 13 frame mammoth as opposed to the usual 3-7 framers....
    Quote Originally Posted by lostaddict12 View Post
    ...yeah I usually just host them here but the 7panel one I did today was a little hard to read so I photobucketed it

Anyone care to explain the humor behind all of this and the quotes associated with said DHs?

I understand them but not everyone may.
    My Facebook/ My Blogs: Ben's Frozen Donkey Wheel & iPhone 3G & Me
    LOST: On Location Videos

This banner was made LONG before I knew Juliet and Sawyer would be an item.

I don't ^

I'm used to it though, most threads on the forums are confusing. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post
    Anyone care to explain the humor behind all of this and the quotes associated with said DHs?

I understand them but not everyone may.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronLittleton View Post
    I don't ^

I'm used to it though, most threads on the forums are confusing. -.-
    The artistes on the DHC have been giving each other hints as they went along producing this new...art...form. Some mentioned putting an edited version at the front of the thread for those who might want to try it. I was in the process of copy-and-pasting their comments in unedited quotes. My apologies for the confusion, but if you haven't been to the thread itself (dinasaur head on lost), go there, and if you keep your mind open to its possibilities, you will see how it has evolved and changed along the way.

G.

"DH'ing" someone involves using something they said in an abstract context coupled with LOST screencaps, making the characters on the show perform a little comic strip where the person being "DH'ed" is usually made to come off as a complete nutcase.

DH'ing stands for Dinasaur Heading--yes, that's a verb. Why? Because in the Dinasaur head on LOST thread, it spiralled from a crazy theory backed by someone with a pretty adolescent grasp on the English Language was the one backing it, and became hostile towards those who opposed his sloppy posting style and his idea that Smokey is an invisible dinosaur that you can also see. The thread regressed into a discussion about crazy posters of days gone by, and AREYOUAFRAIDOFTHESMOKE's name came up. This caused people to go digging into "AYAOTS" posts, and I found one where Paperknives quoted AYAOTS in a series of screen caps:

One of the funniest posts ever. I can actually picture Ben gently, but urgently explaining it to Jack... lmfao!
    We all fell in love with the idea, and started doing it to people left and right, some malicious, some in jest, and so the cult was born. I think one of the things that makes it such a funny for of "art" is because one major parts of the LOST engine is the perpetuation of confusion, both to the audience, and in the characters involved. There are tons of screen caps with the actors doing some ridiculous "WFT are you talking about??" faces and they work well in conjecture with far out quotes.

+ Reply to Thread