+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mysterious Whiskey

Default The Mysterious Whiskey

In Flashes Before His Eyes, Penny's father drinks a shot of "McCutcheon" Whiskey, a fictional brand named for the equally fictional "Admiral McCutcheon." Since every name means something. I started poking at the name "McCutcheon."

There isn't much there. A few politicians, actors and athletes. No one who seems to further the mythology of the show.

But there is another "Admiral McCutcheon." He was a minor character in the 1997 Hallmark Channel remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

According to IMDB, that version of the story starred our very own Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as "Cabe Attucks."

I'm inclined to believe that this was intentional. There aren't very many McCutcheons in the world, and there is no other Admiral McCutcheon except for this one.

The character didn't appear in other versions of the story, as far as I can tell without going back and rereading the book. But it is interesting that the sequel to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was The Mysterious Island.

Here's a quote from the plot summary for The Mysterious Island in Wikipedia:

The mystery of the island seems to come from periodic and inexplicable deus ex machinas: the unexplainable survival of Smith from his fall from the balloon, the mysterious rescue of his dog Top from a wild dugong, a box full of equipment (guns and ammunition, tools, etc...), the finding of a message in the sea calling for help, and so on.
    Also there is this:

Throughout their stay on the island, the group has to overcome bad weather, and eventually adopts and domesticates an orangutan, Jupiter, abbreviated to Jup.
    From the Wikipedia article on the Hanso Foundation:

Another "Active Projects" link, the Hanso Life-Extension Project link, displayed a press release dated September 21, 2005 regarding the life-extension of an orangutan named "Joop" celebrating its 105th birthday.
    This isn't a fully fleshed out theory, yet -- just an observation that I'm going to keep in the back of my mind.

thanks hipnerd, i'm glad that someone did the research on "McCutcheon".
    it's really interesting and i will keep an eye out for anything related to the name in future episode(s).

wow...the plot summary from The Mysterious Island is wicked!

Paradise Gardens. I can definitely see myself marinating a chicken in that.

niiicely done!
    I wish I had the attention span to research things!

I think it's funny how much the producers and writers interject just to see, in my opinion, who will do the research. It's as much fun for them as it is for us, I think. I just assumed that McCutcheon was really cheap whiskey and Charles Widmore made up that story to further insult Desmond. I mean, if it were really supposed to be soooo expensive then why would that random pub have it stocked? So I figured he was being ultra-rude by saying that even a cheap whiskey would be wasted on Des.

a bazillion and one thanks to Kitty for my spectacularly beautiful banner.
    and thanks to Barney for helping me out of my avatar rut.

Hipnerd, those are some really incredible connections you found! I just become increasingly more amazed at the depth of research and knowledge of these writers! I just wonder if they all have actually read all these books and everything written by all of these philosophers, etc., or if they just have a staff of interns slaving away over tomes day and night finding cool things to work in.
    Last edited by KittyLili114; 02-21-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Thank you for researching "the whiskey" man, I had been wondering if there was any connection at all between the name and the story. A small one...but still not a coincidence! Too bad it is fictitional...I bet it's strong one!

Quote Originally Posted by jennibean View Post
    I think it's funny how much the producers and writers interject just to see, in my opinion, who will do the research. It's as much fun for them as it is for us, I think. I just assumed that McCutcheon was really cheap whiskey and Charles Widmore made up that story to further insult Desmond. I mean, if it were really supposed to be soooo expensive then why would that random pub have it stocked? So I figured he was being ultra-rude by saying that even a cheap whiskey would be wasted on Des.
    Not sure if this is the way to look at it. First, this was England, and most above average pubs there carry expensive liquor-there is always a chance that an American tourist may come in. Also, I've been in some real crappy bars that carry Patrón that cost twenty bucks a shot.

As for this find on the whiskey...Wow. I think the Lost writers just want us to start READING again. Haha. With all of these literary references, I'm impressed they can fit them into the stream of things. Good find!
    Last edited by KittyLili114; 02-21-2007 at 06:26 AM.

"Dude, I know how this works. This is gonna end with you and me running through the jungle, screaming and crying. He catches me first because I'm heavy and I get cramps."

- Hurley

Paradise Gardens. I can definitely see myself marinating a chicken in that.

Quote Originally Posted by lettik View Post
    Not sure if this is the way to look at it. First, this was England, and most above average pubs there carry expensive liquor-there is always a chance that an American tourist may come in. Also, I've been in some real crappy bars that carry Patrón that cost twenty bucks a shot.
    TWENTY DOLLARS A SHOT! thats ridiculous! one shot better get the job done on that.

I still think that its not extremely expensive whiskey though, because if it was TOP NOTCH, then you'd think that Desmond wouldn't really be affected by that. He knew very well that Mr. Widmore was rich, and Des knew he wasnt. If it had been the most expensive scotch, I'm sure Des wouldn't have even expected a drink.

Now, that whiskey, whats the betting its Jack's dads favourite whiskey...
    Last edited by KittyLili114; 02-21-2007 at 05:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread