+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did the island disappear if it is only moving through time?

Default Why did the island disappear if it is only moving through time?

at the end of last season the helicopter crew saw the island disappear. But this season all anyone talks about is that the island is moving through time. Did the island not exist a few years ago? If not, why are there so many ancient symbols all around? Is the island moving through time and space? They are connected right?

hope this isn't a repeat question....

Eh. It's been discussed in various threads, but here ya go:

you're forgetting what Cheng (sp?) said. paraphrased (when referring to the bunny time-traveling): "[the bunny] seems to disappear, when in reality..."

The island hasn't physically moved... per se. (sp?) But now we're getting into quantum physics. Ugh. What moved was the "door" the island is behind. This is why it has now appeared to vanish again. But moving the doorway causes problems in time-space (not space-time), which is why the Shifters are shifting. This is why Daniel needs to figure out new bearings to leave the island. Since the old door has closed, he has to find the new door that's been opened now.

In other words: the "doorway" to the island has changed places. The Losties and Freightees could see the island before because they were looking through the doorway they came in through. once that door closed, and a different doorway opened, even in the present the island appeared to disappear to them. Just like Cheng said when referring to the fact that the bunny appeared to disappear, but wasn't really.

A question for the last poster: I like that idea much more than a physically moving island, it just makes way too much sense your way. Having said that, a physically moving island did explain the location issues that have popped up at various points in the show (ex. Yemi's small plane making it to the south pacific). Does your theory allow for this to be answered, or is it a case of using your theory for a disappearing island and using another for location issues (i.e. various wormholes across the globe)?

OS: The end of the second episode gives us some indication of what happend -- Ms. Hawking has plotted a number of "events" in the Pacific (when they occurred, we don't know -- they're merely plotted). But we can assume that they are all doorways that have opened and closed.

So Yemi's plane would have flown through a doorway near its flight trajectory and come out by the island. Since this occurred shortly after Locke (and all) time travelled, we can assume that this "skip" opened the door that allowed Yemi's plane to come in.

I would add that these doors also act as anchors and once closed the island is allowed to float through time until it restablishes an anchor to the S/T continue. It is literally lost in spacetime.
    Q: Why did the smoke monster cross the island?

Click through to find the answer!

You'll get a good chuckle! And, no, you don't have to buy anything. I'm not getting money for pageviews or such, promise!

But, yes, if you think it's cool, you can buy a nice T-shirt or hat or mug. And you'd help me pay student loans and all manner of other bills!

And, yes, I did check with the mods first, who were kind enough to let me post this with all these disclaimers. Thanks, guys!

If I'm getting this right, Yemi's plane, the Black Rock, etc would have just happened upon a certain doorway (bearing) at the right time and that is how they came to be on the island?

Thanks Tomtem, makes complete sense (or as much sense as Lost can make) and fits in with what we know.

I had the same question. But the first poster gave me a good answer. However, and this is probably just because it's only a TV show. Why were there concussion waves if the island didn't physically move? Again, probably just a TV effect since moving through time was supposed to shock viewers in this seasons premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic's Sixth View Post
    A question for the last poster: I like that idea much more than a physically moving island, it just makes way too much sense your way. Having said that, a physically moving island did explain the location issues that have popped up at various points in the show (ex. Yemi's small plane making it to the south pacific). Does your theory allow for this to be answered, or is it a case of using your theory for a disappearing island and using another for location issues (i.e. various wormholes across the globe)?
    well, it appears the island is moving across the globe, as well as through time--I mainly base this on the scene with the pendulum plotting various points across the globe. But I think the term "move" in a physical sense has to be used very lightly.

I hate using the term wormhole for the events and things on this show, just because I think the Island is much more mystical, and "wormhole" brings a much harder edge to that soft warm glow. But essentially that appears to be what we're dealing with.

Since it's a wormhole, I think in terms of the Island physically, you can look at it this way: take a piece of paper and fold it in half, and then fold it in half again. now take a paper hole punch and punch through it. If you unfold it, it appears as four separate holes in four separate areas--but because of the wormhole, they're really the same place. Now, if you can only have one "door" open at a time. It means that to the outside observer, the island disappears, and even appears to "move" to a new area physically. But it's really just one door closing, and a different door opening on the same area.

Complicated much? :-S
    Last edited by striferaven; 01-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.

That's actually a pretty damn good analogy, good work.

Ok I have been reading these forums all about yesterday's episodes... and I realized that I have never been more confused now than in my entire life. Some of this makes sense but damn it seems I would have to spend days studying all the different elements to finally make total sense of all this. It doesn't help that everyone has to chime in with their own theories making it almost impossible to make one unified theory. These discussions are fascinating but confusing.
    "No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for 'there's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head,' although...we obviously should." -Ben-

+ Reply to Thread