+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss "The Stand" (main thread)

Default Discuss "The Stand" (main thread)

Here's the official thread to discuss February's book club read, "The Stand" by Stephen King.

Hope you enjoy it!
    "And we're live in 4...8...15...16..."

Glad we are doing the Stand. I have 400 pages left to read - my version is 1300+ page - the extended version.
    I won't be involved in the LLL as much cause I'm in Australia and our season 5 doesn't premiere until the 11th Feb - yes still have 10 days to wait. Hence Lostpedia has become a major spoiler for me.
    But I'll still read the books and try to comment if possible, just very scared of spoilers.

The Stand is one of the best books ... ever. Maybe in 100 years kids will get to read King in school, screw Othello.

Anyway, one of Flagg's alias' is FARADAY

Faraday--nice catch! I had forgotten about that name of his...

I'm almost done with my current Stand read...it's my third time reading the book. It's really interesting to read it while thinking about LOST connections. There are certainly plenty...I look forward to discussing them here!!

BTW--Nineteen, is your screen name inspired by Dark Tower?
    Thanks, Barney!

Thanks, LC!

Bet you didn’t see that one coming. Chuck Norris can bite me.

AD <3 LoRab <3 AD

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Rabbi View Post

BTW--Nineteen, is your screen name inspired by Dark Tower?
    It certainly is ... Long days and pleasant nights sai Rabbi!

We'll have to palaver some time.
    Thanks, Barney!

Thanks, LC!

Bet you didn’t see that one coming. Chuck Norris can bite me.

AD <3 LoRab <3 AD

I'm only halfway through The Stand and it's my first time reading it, so I guess I should probably stay away until I'm done? I don't want anything to spoil the ending for me! So far, what a wonderfully CREEPY book!

In general so far the Lost connections that stand out to me are :
    -the mysterious sickness
    -the way people come together and have to work together in an emergency situation
    -vague evil presence
    -meaningful dreams

I've got about 400 pages left now, and I've got to say: this is the best stand-alone book, not like the Harry Potter or Dark Tower series or whatever, I've ever read.

I can see why Darlton mark this as one of the number 1 influences on Lost. I mean, they probably even took the Stand's way of storytelling and made it into a television series format. Every chapter is devoted to another character and seen from his/her perspective, and in some chapters they mess around with that structure a bit. It looks a lot like the centric-episode style Lost uses in my eyes.

Apart from that, the old lady is 108 years old, haha, and Larry Underwood obviously looks a lot like Charlie; has had one big hit, has this big party life/debts and responsibility problems. There are many, many more of these things that have things in common with Lost; for instance the pregnant woman-storyline of course.

I'm absolutely addicted to the story; it's the biggest book I've ever read, and still I wish it would be bigger.
    'We've got stars directing our fate.'

'And we're praying it's not too late.'

108 years old! Good catch!

I can see why Darlton mark this as one of the number 1 influences on Lost
    I'm curious .. do you remember where/when he said that? Anyone have a link to an interview or something?

+ Reply to Thread