+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x07 The Moth

Default 1x07 The Moth

Discussion of 1x07 The Moth for the Lost Rewatch

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross" - Sinclair Lewis

Default Star Wars Allusion

Just noticed that Charlie says "I'm here to rescue you." to Jack, which is of course a reference to Star Wars =)

Quote Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
    Just noticed that Charlie says "I'm here to rescue you." to Jack, which is of course a reference to Star Wars =)
    Yes there are soo many of those

My favorite one is in Exodus, when Michael says to Jin "this one goes there, that one goes there!" like Han and Chewie in Empire.

yeah, i love all the star wars references.

I'm not sure if everyone's seen this, but in the scene where Kate and Sawyer are waiting to fire the bottle rocket, the camera shows a field on the Mesa. You can see a fence in the field that looks a lot like the SONAR fence around the Barracks (however, it's more likely the fence was accidentally caught on camera).

Don't want to spoil the fun but frame by frame analysis started the whole "The monster blew up the turbine"-thing Oo So I wouldn't put to much into it.

My favorite one is in Exodus, when Michael says to Jin "this one goes there, that one goes there!" like Han and Chewie in Empire
    I *JUST* put together 2 and 2 and realized that was a Star Wars reference. I have watched my DVD's 600 thousand TIMES, and just now you pointed it out!! Thank you!! I got some serious lolz.

One of my favourite Season 1 episodes, this one - I love Charlie's character and this episode set up his character perfectly, and the flashbacks are great. We don't particularly know the full extent of it at this point, but both Locke and Charlie have been very downtrodden and betrayed by family, so their relationship in this episode works well (part of why I was disappointed to see it deteriorate beyond recognition in Season 2, with both of them acting quite out-of-character).

As for the "I'm here to rescue you" line, I always thought of Star Wars whenever it was said (being a huge Star Wars fan myself), but never felt convinced that it was - although given that the creators are big fans, it's pretty likely...

Also, if anyone has the DVDs, I'd recommend watching this episode's commentary - Dominic Monaghan is one of the hosts, and it's very funny...

I had an A-HA! moment in this show when Charlie shouted "You don't know who I am! I'm a ROCK GOD!" and then all the rocks start falling down. It's like when Michael told Walt he would go looking for Vincent as soon as the rain stopped, Walt glance outside the shelter and the rain stopped.

I've been trying to see if there are more of these instances that show that our Losties may have powers.

The cave coming down when it did, right when Charlie said "I am a rock god" was strange, almost like the Island was responding to Charlie's desperation and giving him an opportunity to do what he did (i.e. save Jack and realize he could be strong enough to get clean); testing him, in other words.

Charlie's brother is really a jerk; his backstory is nearly as pathetic as Locke's--brother gets him into a bad lifestyle, hooks him on drugs, takes over Charlie's lyrics and becomes front man, doesn't keep his promise to end the band when Charlie thinks things get crazy, then leaves when it suits him to clean up and start a life... leaving Charlie alone, a failure, and a drug addict.

Locke's speech to Charlie about "choice" (i.e. 3 chances to ask for the drugs) is very reminiscent of Jacob's opinion re. free will. I think this speech alone indicates Locke is not Flocke at this time (for those of you that believe he dies in 815 crash or otherwise was Flocke before 316)

Locke's speech on the moth was beautiful: struggle is nature's way of strengthening. (again, reminicent of Jacob: "it only ends once, everything else is practice."

Love how Charlie comes up to the cave to save Jack saying I'll do it, and as he does he pushes back the hood of his sweatshirt. Whenever he's seriously focused on drugs, he's hood up. The way he pushed it down so decisively was a nice touch he was getting out of the shadow of his drug addiction, making his choice.

Jack is once a turd, always a turd: he's trying to tell Charlie he's not useless and says "that takes a lot of gut coming in here and trying to save me." Trying? Thanks a lot, Jack, talk about a backhanded compliment.

+ Reply to Thread