+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x08 Confidence Man

Default 1x08 Confidence Man

Lost Rewatch discussion of 1x08 - Confidence Man

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross" - Sinclair Lewis

The one thing I noticed this time that I didn't get all the other times is how Sawyer got to be such a tough dude. I mean when Sayid was giving it to him, he was all smart-a$$. And the reason, from what I picked up, was that Sawyer must have taken a monstrous flaying from Kilo, the pool player in the bar, when he didn't return the money as promised.

After he saw that little kid when he was finishing up the con, that hit where it hurt harder than anything anyone could give him physically, so he dropped the suitcase with the $140,000 and walked out of the couple's house. Well, if he never returned the money, he prolly got a colossal beating out Kilo for it, and survived.

Showed us that Sawyer's got a bigger heart than the rest of the Losties combined and that he's tougher than them too.

I have forgotten until re-watching this episode how much they made us hate Sawyer in season one. I can't stand the dude again.

HURLEY: Wow, man. That was awesome. I mean, that was like a -- Jedi moment.

*likes Hurley*
    LPedians-For-A-Cure-For-LinkitisFoundation

I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor
    Thanks Kitty and Curby

INAPC
    Dave
    Wears a pink blindfold for RSF

My ears perked up when I heard the word "loophole" spoken by that guy Sawyer was conning. That must mean something!

Is a Pickle

Just looking at Sawyer's face when he finally admits that he doesn't have the drugs after his kiss with Kate really captures his despair. He's tragic, not evil. That's what's so great about all of these characters. Sayid is a good example too: I love thinking about his past/future as he decides to torture Sawyer in this scene. Even later when he's a cold-blooded murderer driven by revenge for the death of his wife, he's still complex! (The ultimate flip for me will always be Ben Linus: going from pure evil to tragic father/Jacob killer. (Jacob, in a soft whisper, "What about you?") Great stuff!

(Jacob, in a soft whisper, "What about you?")
    I agree awesome.

I disagree about season 1 making us hate Sawyer, I still didn't hate him back then. Technically he wasn't harming anyone by pretending to have the medication. He has never really harmed anyone (minus the scuffle with Sayid), meanwhile everyone else is beating the crap out of him.

Yeah...I don't think I hated Sawyer until he squished that little froggie in One of Them, and in The Long Con: "I'm not a good person Charlie." But I still think that it was totally Bad A**: "There's a new sheriff in town boys...ya best get used to it."

I hated Sawyer in Season 1 and it took a long time for me to warm up to him, say like the Juliet days... But I think the trick he played with Shannon's medicine was despicable and beyond forgiveness. They could have been looking elsewhere, he could have killed her.

+ Reply to Thread