+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x09 Solitary

Default 1x09 Solitary

Thread for the discussion of The Lost Rewatch - "Solitary"

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Solitary

Interesting interview with David Fury

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/LP_Interviewavid_Fury
    Last edited by Anfield Fox; 06-15-2009 at 10:57 AM.

watched it last night

first episode that really made me sad ... that whole Sayid/Nadia plot really got to me

interesting detail: since Rousseau's side note on how her team was there to examine "time" was written out of the script on behalf of the network, she says: "we dug out this temporary shelter ... phew ... TEMPORARY!" with heavy stress on 'temporary' ('temporary' in its double meaning as 'for a short period' and as 'time-related in general')

also, I forgot about this, but it turns out that Sayid thought the same thing about the B612 mission I thought when 'This Place Is Death' aired: that's an awful lot of guns for a science team

hmm the golf thing was pretty cool i think. a means to keep spirits high

So the first appearance of Danielle Rousseau. I've always had a few problems with the episode.

1. Danielle. There are just so many innconcitencies with her story. Yes it's possible to partially use the excuse "she was crazy" but:

SAYID: Have you seen other people on this island?

DANIELLE: No, but I hear them. Out there, in the jungle. They whisper.
    We know she met Jin and Ben at the very least and it's hard to believe she wouldn't have seen anyone else in those 16 years. Not even Dharma?

2. Sayid speaking English in his flashback. This is probably a non-issue to most people but they take great care to attention and detail with the Korean on the show but neglected the Arabic. I know Naveen Andrews does not speak Arabic but i find it hard to believe Sayid would speak English in the Iraqi army to his commanding officer, the guards, the prisoner he interrogated and to Nadia. Ando on Heroes does not speak Japanese and has to learn all his lines phonetically, it's a shame they didn't do it in this episode. In future flashbacks they found clever ways to not have him speak Arabic like being in France or Australia or having him speak with American troops. It's only in this episode really that it feels "out of place".

Otherwise it's a very good episode. The ending with the whispers was genuinely scary. It's also interesting that ABC removed the mention of "time" as they didn't want Sci-Fi on the show back then. Finally it's a shame we never saw Sullivan again

I don't think she believed Jin was real. I mean, this guy disappeared into thin air twice ...
    and Ben ... well ... post-traumatic stress, maybe her memory blocked it out completely, or she didn't believe he was real either ...

well, it was season one, they probably hadn't thought this through in detail (Ben, Dharma, Jin) and who can blame them? the time-skips are still about 4 seasons away and overall, her story was tied up neatly in This Place Is Death, where we can see that most of her memories were on the spot

Anfield Fox, I interpreted the English as being like The Hunt for Red October. Remember, it begins in Russian, then it just zooms in on something and when it pulls out it's English? Well, they're still really speaking Russian, but it's translated for our benefit.

Of course, they never did that with any other language in the history of the show, but I think Naveen Andrews both couldn't speak Arabic and was unwilling to learn/just say it like Daniel Dae Kim did with Korean.

Also, from Dead Is Dead:
    ROUSSEAU: You're the one who infected us, aren't you?!
    She thought Ben was the Monster, it seems...the Monster, which apparently Danielle believes doesn't exist. Despite seeing it. And it infecting her team.

Danielle is completely insane, isn't she?

But yeah, that end is really scary, the golf subplot is funny and I loved all the scenes with Danielle, even if almost everything she said was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by David_H View Post
    Those who consistently take negative opinions of the show as a personal attack on themselves may want to very seriously consider seeking out help.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield Fox View Post
    So the first appearance of Danielle Rousseau. I've always had a few problems with the episode.

1. Danielle. There are just so many innconcitencies with her story. Yes it's possible to partially use the excuse "she was crazy" but:

We know she met Jin and Ben at the very least and it's hard to believe she wouldn't have seen anyone else in those 16 years. Not even Dharma?

2. Sayid speaking English in his flashback. This is probably a non-issue to most people but they take great care to attention and detail with the Korean on the show but neglected the Arabic. I know Naveen Andrews does not speak Arabic but i find it hard to believe Sayid would speak English in the Iraqi army to his commanding officer, the guards, the prisoner he interrogated and to Nadia. Ando on Heroes does not speak Japanese and has to learn all his lines phonetically, it's a shame they didn't do it in this episode. In future flashbacks they found clever ways to not have him speak Arabic like being in France or Australia or having him speak with American troops. It's only in this episode really that it feels "out of place".

Otherwise it's a very good episode. The ending with the whispers was genuinely scary. It's also interesting that ABC removed the mention of "time" as they didn't want Sci-Fi on the show back then. Finally it's a shame we never saw Sullivan again
    1. I think if the purge was in the 80's then Dharma wasn't around when they got there, although there seems to be a lot of Others around you would think she'd see them.

2. Didnt they do some kind of camera pan behind one of them (Nadia?) while he was speaking arabic and when he appeared on the other side they switched to english? They probably just thought it would be easier for viewers to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke-in-a-Box View Post
    1. I think if the purge was in the 80's then Dharma wasn't around when they got there, although there seems to be a lot of Others around you would think she'd see them.

2. Didnt they do some kind of camera pan behind one of them (Nadia?) while he was speaking arabic and when he appeared on the other side they switched to english? They probably just thought it would be easier for viewers to follow.
    The purge was in December 1992, she arrived in November 1988.

well, the assumed purge date is based on shaky evidence
    all we got is a dream vision of Horace

all the other evidence points to the purge happening earlier:
    - Rousseau never meeting the Dharma & the Dharma never finding her
    - Ben already being an Other when Rousseau gives birth to Alex
    - Inman not knowing what the hell is going on one the Island at all

dunno ... I don't think the Purge was in 1992 anymore, I think took place earlier

Me and my darned assumptions!! Good thing we have this Rewatch to set things straight. This qualifies as one of those posts where at first I go NO WAY and then after some research I'm like Ahhhhhh.

Much discussion of this on Lostpedia, including links to online q/a with Gregg Nations who evades direct questioning on the subject. Next we should ask him how many guns they have on the island now.

+ Reply to Thread