+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x11 All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues

Default 1x11 All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues

Thread for the discussion of The Lost Rewatch - "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues".

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/All_...e_Daddy_Issues
    Last edited by Anfield Fox; 06-15-2009 at 10:37 AM.

I love the flashbacks in this episode. Jack implicating his dad (rightfully so) was a genuinly moving scene, and is important in many flashbacks, of Jacks and others, to come.
    I'm a complex guy, Sweetheart

per ardua ad astra

I really see this episode as a sort of pay off of what Christian told Jack in White Rabbit: "When you fail...you just don't have what it takes." Another familiar Christian phrase to Jack: "Let it go."

Jack's character has always fascinated me because obviously he did some good, he's a great doctor, being the leader, blah blah blah but he so totally driven by his own conscience, it's like he doesn't care if he succeeds or not, just so long as he satisfies his own conscience. He beat himself up this episode and never gives up because he didn't believe Claire when she she was being attacked, just like when he was running the arena after he "failed" to fix Sarah, not because he didn't fix her but because he had promised her that he would!

I also LOVE the scene where he revives Charlie. With the music and the camera angles and the length of the scene, they totally get away with giving you the resolved feeling that Charlie's dead (at least long enough for you to believe it) and THEN continues on to revive him. I remember seeing this the first time and just wondering what the hell was going on with Jack! And then Charlie wakes up!! I totally thought he was a goner! Too bad about later on :-(

Oh and does anyone else suspect like me that Boone's redshirt discussion is a bit of foreshadowing ;-)

I agree. Charlie being revived is one of the saddest scenes so far. Great acting by Fox and (waits for the flamers) Evie.
    I'm a complex guy, Sweetheart

per ardua ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by guyswherearewe View Post
    (waits for the flamers) Evie.
    Not yet. Just wait one more episode :-)

But seriously, I agree. I remember once someone describing M.Fox as that guy who always has the "I'm about to cry" look down cold.

Ok off the Bat-
    Jack finally throwing his Dad under the bus....perhaps the little push Jacob tought him about.
    Lock's Star Trek convo with Boone awesome, but watch how his knows when its going to rain, and how he tries to ditch boone right before they find the hatch. As if he knew, but didnt.
    Nice seeing Sawyer be the bigger man when he told Sayid he kept the fire going.
    Ethan in the rain = Creepier Ethan
    And of course Jack/Kate hanging Charlie scene is awesome.

Ethan is so scary in this episode, I forgot how much trouble they go through to rehabilitate him in Otherton flashbacks: "It's a work in progress!"

The most significant impressions I have from this episode:
    1. Jack's ethics. I wonder if most viewers know how incredibly difficult it would be to report any doctor the way Jack did. After all, Christian was not noticeably sloppy drunk or impaired. The difficulty is magnified 10 times by him being his father, regardless of their relationship. It takes a very strong, and principled person to do what Jack did, knowing in advance that his actions would take their emotional toll on Jack was well. You don't ruin your father's career without there being personal repercussions.
    2. The Charlie scene is the most moving one we've seen in the series. By now we have feelings for these characters. Nine of ten people would have let Charlie die. I was trying to figure out what lesson we viewers were meant to learn from this scene. Earlier, we saw that it's important to 'let go,' an issue that highly dedicated people probably all share. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes staying in the fight, against all odds, can pay off. We all need a little help to discern each situation. Certainly the opposite issue, 'quitting too early,' is a more common weakness and much more debilitating.
    3. We know by now that the Others are trying to save Claire's life. Why do it in such a sinister manner? The methodology of the Others continues to mystify me, other than Ben has proved that honesty is his last choice in dealing with people. Lots of lessons here.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyJim View Post
    We know by now that the Others are trying to save Claire's life. Why do it in such a sinister manner? The methodology of the Others continues to mystify me, other than Ben has proved that honesty is his last choice in dealing with people. Lots of lessons here.
    Ethan had a good reason to take Claire, earlier that day he responded to Hurley questionarie, and he knew it would be only a matter of time until the losties found out about him, so he took the opportunity. Now on why the others don't just simply meet up and say "hey welcome all", it's probably because of years and years of the magement skills of Jacob, just handing out lists with the names that interest him, and not caring at all about the rest. So the don't make the first contact, instead they wait for the new recruts names, and them try to take them out of group with as little fuss as possible.

What I'm really curious about though, is if Hurley ever paid to Walt the 20,000 dollars he lost to him in the backgammon. http://forum.lostpedia.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Last edited by guibbs; 06-16-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: adds

Quote Originally Posted by guibbs View Post

What I'm really curious about though, is if Hurley ever paid to Walt the 20,000 dollars he lost to him in the backgammon. http://forum.lostpedia.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    It actually becomes $83,000 later on when Walt plays with Locke and mentions how much Hurley owes him. The only time they met was when Walt visited him at Santa Rosa and something tells me he didn't open up his checkbook

+ Reply to Thread