+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x12 Whatever The Case May Be

Default 1x12 Whatever The Case May Be

Thread for the discussion of The Lost Rewatch - "Whatever The Case May Be"

Wiki Page

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/What...he_Case_May_Be

Wow no one's bitten yet?

I gotta say this isn't my favorite episode (understatement). Though I LOVE the back and forth banter between Sawyer and Kate. He's SO irritating it's fantastic. I mean, if you were that bored and hottie Kate wouldn't tell you what was in the case, wouldn't you play around a bit too?

I've found many fans to consider this the weakest of season 1 (interestingly it was also the highest rated episode of season 1). Personally i love the opening at the waterfall and later the conversation between Michael and Sawyer about opening the case. The reaction from Hurley is priceless. I could watch it 100 times and still laugh.

The one thing i hated was finding out a toy plane was in the case. That was the only part of the episode i didn't like. I guess they were trying to portray Kate as being sentimental about *something*.

Well, we see that Kate is willing to endanger innocent lives and even shoot people to rob a bank and get the toy plane back. Ironically, she is the principal reason the owner of the plane dies. How many more of these flashbacks should we watch so we understand how foolish Kate can be?

Then, the refusal to explain the significance of the plane to Jack, after all the trouble, seems illogically manufactured only to drive a wedge between them. This feeling is only confirmed on second viewing.

This is a fairly useless episode in IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyJim View Post
    This is a fairly useless episode in IMHO.
    Well the case was important. It had the guns and the guns play a huge part in the rest of the season and into season 2. Giving them guns opened up more storyline possibilities.

It wasn't a bad ep. The first time I saw the title, even before I saw the ep, I thought it was too clever by half. But all and all, it moved the story along.

I think this episode is why I don't like Kate. She planned a bank robbery to get a toy plane back? Come on now!! How selfish can a person be? She shot 3 people, and traumatized dozens of others?? For a toy? I don't care how "sentimental" it was, that was just ridiculous.

ridiculous as it may sound, it was an episode that was needed to keep the plot moving imo.

How so? With the introduction of the guns? The next several episodes (and the previous few) do much more to carry the show forward then this does. Look at Hearts and Minds with Boone, Locke and the hatch, or Special with the idea of the Raft...

I mean, the guns are important, but say in Homecoming, when they really come to figure into things, you could have had Charlie hacking at Ethan with the axe or something...the guns weren't an absolute necessity...

I'm just saying, I don't follow your point clearly...it could be made about any episode (except maybe Expose :-)). I guess you could say "They really needed guns" and so they came up with this story to tell it. But I think it was important to overall characterization and plot the lengths which Kate will go to manipulate people to get her way (no matter how futile or silly her goal may seem).

+ Reply to Thread