+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1x18 Numbers

Default 1x18 Numbers

Lost Rewatch - Discuss episode "Numbers" here

Wiki page: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Numbers_(episode)

Cool episode! We finally learn about Hurley and how he won the lottery, and the numbers are introduced into the show for the first time. The scenes with Hurley and Danielle are great and Hurley shows he can fend for himself out in the jungle. His flashbacks show some of the bad luck he believes the numbers have brought onto him.

Another thing I liked about this episode was Locke and Claire building Aaron's future crib. Very sweet of Locke and even better that it happened to be Claire's birthday

Default 4 8 15 16 23 42

Finally, a Hurley episode and we learn how troubled a character he is. It's sometimes hard to remember that his life was already going awry before he evr checked into Santa Rosa and met Leonard and The Numbers.

If you look up "apophenia" on Lostpedia, there's a nice long page about all the pieced together connections fans have made about the show that simply aren't true. One of them is that the man who jumps out the window behind Hurley's accountant is Locke being pushed out the window by his dad. That man is not Locke as the building Hurley is in and the surroundings outside look completely different than the setting of Locke's tragic incident and the timeline isn't right for it. Still, seeing this episode again made me wish it was Locke. It would have been such a cool connection especially since we had just learned that Hurley owned the box company Locke worked in.

Did anyone else think Charlie was being a jerk for no reason in this episode? He's perfectly fine and his chipper self until right after he crosses the bridge and then inexplicably snaps at Hurley to listen to Jack. More importantly, why was Charlie on that mission? His only purpose was to run in the opposite direction of Hurley when Rousseau was shooting at them. I guess without his participation there wouldn't have been the scene later on when Hurley tells him about his money but it could have worked just as well even if Charlie didn't go with them.

Also, at the end of the episode we see that The Numbers are engraved on the side of the Hatch and in S5, Hurley and Co. witness The Numbers being engraved on the Hatch door. I remember watching that scene and thinking "The Numbers weren't on the Hatch door, they were on the side." Thankfully, Lostpedia agrees and has the following listed as a continuity error in "Some Like It Hoth": At the Swan construction site, the worker engrave the numbers very closely to the Hatch Door. However in 1x18, we saw that the numbers were engraved on the bottom part of the structure (just above the concrete wall).

Also, it nevr occurred to me until now but how is it that Locke nevr made a connection between The Numbers engraved on the side of The Hatch and punching the same numbers into the Swan Station's computer? Either Boone or him would have noticed The Numbers as they dug up The Hatch and, if Boone was the one to notice them, there would be no reason for him to not point them out to Locke. So, it would stand to reason that Locke would have said something or shown some sign of recognition when Desmond ordered him at gunpoint to enter The Numbers into the computer. In fact, I think it would have been pretty cool if Locke completed the sequence for Desmond, then Desmond would have asked how he knew that and Locke would have said, "It's stamped on the outside of your . . . home."

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
    -John Doe (Kevin Spacey), "Seven" . . . but it might as well be Lindelcuse.

^^LOL, true that

finally Hurley got an episode, I remember how relieved I was when after other characters alreday have had their 2nd centric, they finally got to Hurley. García is amazing as the chill, always chuckling yet deep Hugo Reyes. the scene where he snaps at Rousseau is so ace "I WANT SOME FRIGGIN' ANSWERS!" (also: Rousseau's gets her first hug after 16 years of solitude ... awwwww)

also, great use of music in the scene where Hugo tromps along the beach with that hip-hop tune blasting ... first I was like WTF? didn't the batteries die on him last episode, but then cut ... he and his mom in the Hummer, brilliant

and finally we met the numbers, creepy stuff, especially everything that happens around Hurley from then on.

also, Toomy indeed looks like Radzinsky ... but Rad probably would be much older by now, so I don't think there is a connection (would have been a tight fit though: Stu gone crazy after some years of entering the numbers gets deported by the DI and ends up in the looney bin ... but whatever)
    Last edited by faragay4faraday; 07-01-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faragay4faraday View Post
    also, Toomy indeed looks like Radzinsky ... but Rad probably would be much older by now, so I don't think there is a connection (would have been a tight fit though: Stu gone crazy after some years of entering the numbers gets deported by the DI and ends up in the looney bin ... but whatever)
    faragay, I take it you mean Leonard, not Sam Toomey, right? We nevr get to see what Sam Toomey looks like. Also, according to Kelvin, Radzinsky killed himself in the Swan Station after years of pushing the button but, yeah, that would have been a nice fit.

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
    -John Doe (Kevin Spacey), "Seven" . . . but it might as well be Lindelcuse.

yeah, I meant Leonard of course

Quote Originally Posted by faragay4faraday View Post
    García is amazing as the chill, always chuckling yet deep Hugo Reyes. the scene where he snaps at Rousseau is so ace "I WANT SOME FRIGGIN' ANSWERS!" (also: Rousseau's gets her first hug after 16 years of solitude ... awwwww)
    Loved that scene too. Reflects our experience as the viewer (looking for answers). Quote from Lostpedia's transcript:

HURLEY: "Okay, that thing in the woods, maybe it's a monster, maybe it's a pissed off giraffe, I don't know. The fact that no one is even looking for us, yeah, that's weird, but I just go along with it because I'm along for the ride, good old fun time Hurley. Well guess what? Now, I want some friggin' answers!"

From Lostpedia's transcript of "The Incident:"

JACOB: Well, what if you weren't cursed? What if you were blessed?
    HURLEY: How do you mean "blessed?"

Depending on how you look at it Jacob is completely right:
    1. Hurley manages to escape Rousseau’s trap.
    2. Hurley makes it across the weakened rope bridge despite his weight.
    3. Hurley doesn’t get shot by Rousseau, but rather gets her battery.
    One other thing. By the looks of where we're at now in Season 1, we're on the roller-coaster drop that spins us towards the season finale! Woo hoo - there should be some great episodes coming up in the rewatch over the next few weeks!

Yeah! finally a hurley episode! I love the line when he's standing on the trigger for the trap and he says "I can get out of the way. I'm spry". that made me laugh.

And I agree that Charlie was being a jerk in this episode. He kept snapping at Hurley for no particular reason...kind of got annoying.

haha re: leonard and radzinsky...see the above post about apophenia....

finally we see hurley!! it always made me mad that charlie wont believe him about the money at the end...

good intro to the numbers...a very important and still somewhat open mystery...

sawyer is reading "a wrinkle in time"....

claire telling locke about wanting to put as yet unborn/unnamed baby up for adoption... sort of foreshadows the next ep.
    i remember wondering what they were building...it looks so obvious now.
    neat how they were also discussion luck...

Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post

claire telling locke about wanting to put as yet unborn/unnamed baby up for adoption... sort of foreshadows the next ep.
    i remember wondering what they were building...it looks so obvious now.
    neat how they were also discussion luck...
    Did you notice the look of surprise/disapproval Locke gave Claire when she told him about her past intent to put the baby up for adoption... given his history/abandonment by parents/raised by foster parents/life long need for acceptance of family leading him to the "cult", I'm not surprised.

+ Reply to Thread