+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1x18 Numbers

i think locke knew it was claire's birthday. just like he seems to know everything in season 1. i think when he met up with the smoke monster early on, it sent him on a mission to help everyone or somthing. he helped charlie, boone, michael and walt. he was there for all the touching moments. and now when he is obsessed with the hatch, he takes a whole day off to build a crib. and it "happens" to be her birthday. i don't think it was coincidence.

It seems out-of-place in a comedic scene, but the smoke from Hurley's mum's house looks a lot like the smoke monster.

Either that, or it's just really bad CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmayhem View Post
    i think locke knew it was claire's birthday. just like he seems to know everything in season 1. i think when he met up with the smoke monster early on, it sent him on a mission to help everyone or somthing. he helped charlie, boone, michael and walt. he was there for all the touching moments. and now when he is obsessed with the hatch, he takes a whole day off to build a crib. and it "happens" to be her birthday. i don't think it was coincidence.
    I do think it was coincidence ... the baaaayby was on its way, Locke wanted to give Claire something to do after her horrible encounter with the Island inhabitants ... so they built a crib together. I don't see how Locke could have possibly known it was her brithday ... or how it would make any difference whether it was or not

I agree with kenmayhem, I think Locke knew. I remember thinking that the first time I watched it as well.

I just realised we didn't know Hurley had won the lottery until now, I noticed Hurley on the TV in one of the Korean houses Jin delivers a message at in one of the previous episodes, not really important but it's nice to notice things like that on a second watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.locke View Post
    I agree with kenmayhem, I think Locke knew. I remember thinking that the first time I watched it as well.
    Wasn't this during the time that John was actively "thinking" about how to get into the hatch (remember the Michelangelo speech)? Maybe building the crib was something he could do, while thinking.

So it took eighteen episodes to get a Hurley centric episode? Yet it answers a good few questions for us. We finally know where all this "Hurley owes me 82(?) thousend dollars" that Walt was telling Locke about comes from! Hmm Hurley doesn't seem to have much luck where the numbers are concerned. His Grandad dying was rough luck, although his mam breaking her ankle could have easily happened as he was daft enough to cover her eyes right next to a curb!

Someone said it before and hit the nail on the head, Hurley was messed up well before he entered Santa Rosa. This numbers thing got to him really bad, first going to see Leonard and then Sam Toomey, before finding out he shot himself (lets hope the same fate doesn't befall Hugo!). On island we really got to see Hurley come out of his shell, so much so I don't think we've saw an episode where he's gone to these lengths before. No matter who or what was shooting at them, he was so determined to get to Rousseau and find out about the numbers. Some comedy genius in this scene "The I'm spry" comment was funny, nowhere near as good as the end part where he handed over the battery, didn't say a word with everyone looking at him in shock before turning around to Sayid and simply saying "She says hey"

The interaction between Locke/Claire is the first we really see of the pair, but of course they go onto build quite a close bond by season 2, so much so that Locke punches Charlie out, but he manages to redeem himself before his death in Season 3. I don't think Locke particularly knew about it being Claire's birthday, I don't see any relevance that would have to do with the story either, so I'm not so sure on that one.

Oh god, I forgot how bad the Australian accents were in this show, Sam's wife is one of the worst accents I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmayhem View Post
    So the island imparts Locke with the trivial knowledge of Claire's birthday but it takes Richard giving him a file to learn that his dad has also ruined Sawyer's life? I'm not buying that.

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
    -John Doe (Kevin Spacey), "Seven" . . . but it might as well be Lindelcuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Shephard's twin View Post

Someone said it before and hit the nail on the head, Hurley was messed up well before he entered Santa Rosa. This numbers thing got to him really bad, first going to see Leonard and then Sam Toomey, before finding out he shot himself
    maybe im misunderstanding you....
    but hurley was in santa rosa for the first time BEFORE the numbers thing....thats where he heard leonard saying the numbers....

if im misunderstanding....forgive and forget my comment.

+ Reply to Thread