+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1x20 "Do No Harm"

Boone's death always brings a tear or two to my eyes
    ... poor guy. really liked the parallel of Boone dying vs. Aaron being born

guess we'll never know what Boone was about say ...

Kate ... oh Kate. whenever JAck says to her "we need this and that, HURRY!" she usually lurks around in shock for another minute or two until Jack yells at her. happens in any episode where Jacks treats the wounded ... felt natural on the first one or two occasions, but got really annoying later ... DAMMIT KATE, RUN!!!!

nice Jack centric, maybe not his best ... but far from being his worst. even tho Jack's marriage is a kinda neglectable flashback, Christian is always a good thing to put in an episode

I love that Kate delivers Aaron and then goes on to raise him. I'm sure that strengthened the bond that the two have. Kate actually got to hold Aaron before even Claire which is amazing to me knowing what we do about Kate, Aaron, and Claire's futures.

Great episode. I don't really like Jack's flashback in this, but I think that's because I never really liked Sarah that much. It seems like she tells Jack in this episode (during her toast) that the only reason she is marrying him is because he saved her. Personally, that's not reason enough for me to commit to someone for the rest of my life. But then again, I guess they don't exactly make it.

And I also am much more saddened by Shannon's reaction to Boone's death in this episode than the actual death scene itself. Shannon looks so defeated and it breaks my heart. First she loses her father in a freak car accident and then she loses the only other person in the world who seemed to ever care about her. So sad.
    Want to have some more fun?

Thank you, LC, for the banners!

We're on Facebook and we have a Wiki!

its hard to see shannon going from being out with sayid and having such a nice time, and then suddenly shes back and getting the news.... with a character like boone...someone we didnt know too well, someone we didnt have too much emotional connection with (at least i didnt)...its hardest to think about how everyone else feels about the fact.....

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaVan View Post
    I know it added a nice level of tension to the Boone medical scenes, but I didn't like the way Jack was treating the rest of those who were only trying to help. Way out of control for a doctor who should be able to handle emergencies.

from Lostepedia transcript:

Yelling at Charlie
    CHARLIE: Where's Shannon?
    JACK: I don't know.
    CHARLIE: Well, she's his sister. You don't think...
    JACK: I don't know where she is!
    I agree that Jack was a bit snippety in this episode but, for one thing, he was under tremendous pressure and, later on, light-headed from the blood loss. However, I had no problem with his attitude toward Charlie in the scene quoted above. Part of Charlie's character is that he gets chatty when he gets nervous or the tension is high and, while sometimes it's endearing, when there's a serious situation it makes him sound like a spoiled prat.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan32 View Post
    I think this is confusing too. The light from the hatch the night Locke was banging on the hatch door didn't look like it would have created that huge spotlight in the sky. The light that came on when Kate was being lowered down the hatch looked closer. But if Locke said so I won't disagree.
    I disagree. The Hatch is deep in the woods where no other light source is nearby to interfere with its light at night, so what Locke, Sawyer and Co. saw in "The Little Prince" makes sense. Perhaps the only thing missing was the light being partially blocked out as Locke looked directly into it.

And of course the light would be brighter as Kate went down into the Hatch. It wasn't being filtered through a tiny window made of at least a foot thick of bullet-proof, shatter-proof glass when Kate saw it.

As for what Boone meant to say to Shannon, I think he wanted to tell her not to beat herself up about not being there when he died or that she needs to let him go (thereby continuing the theme of the episode).

Finally, when Locke first brought Boone to Jack, I wondered if Jack had a "count to 5" moment during those first few moments of comprehending the situation. So far throughout this rewatch, it's become clear to me that although Christian could be cold to Jack and was a drunk, just about evrything he did or said to Jack (minus trying to get him to lie about the pregnant girl's death) was best for Jack or in his best interest.

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
    -John Doe (Kevin Spacey), "Seven" . . . but it might as well be Lindelcuse.

I still remember after TLP aired people going back and watching this episode looking for Sawyer crouching in the jungle behind some bushes. Kinda funny when you think about it

Well, generally not a bad episode. The best part is the relay-like effect of Boone dying and Aaron being born.

It's important to note that Aaron is the first baby born since the curse of pregnant women descended. Whether that has anything to do with Mr. X finding the Loophole. The idea of women not having children would make sense in the fact that perhaps Jacob and Loophole are allowed to bring people to the island to play their game but if people are born here that changes things. Don't know. Just a thought.

One axiom: If you want something carried from point A to point B, don't ask Kate to do it. She wrecked the antenna for Sayid and succeeded in breaking the bottles of alcohol on her way to Jack. There is something intrinsic to Kate that just says she's a mess. She's capable in so many ways but in some really important aspects, she's a screw up.

And speaking of screwing up, Jack was doing a good job of it. Granted he was down a couple pints of blood, but he should have had a better handle on the number one rule of physicians: Do no harm. It took Sun and Boone to bring him to his senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Fan 4815162342 View Post
    It's important to note that Aaron is the first baby born since the curse of pregnant women descended. Whether that has anything to do with Mr. X finding the Loophole. The idea of women not having children would make sense in the fact that perhaps Jacob and Loophole are allowed to bring people to the island to play their game but if people are born here that changes things. Don't know. Just a thought.
    Yeah, the other two on-island births (that we know of) being Amy Goodspeed giving birth to Ethan (how is his last name Rom?) in 1977 and Rousseau giving birth to Alex in 1988.

I like to believe that Juliet detonating the bomb is what destroyed the statue of Tawaret (Egyptian goddess of birth and rebirth) but, according to Lostpedia, the statue was destroyed sometime before 1974. If only this order of events was flip-flopped, it wouldn't seem to be a stretch to link the statue's near demolition to the pregnancy/birth problem on the island. Either way, how do we explain Amy presumably conceiving Ethan on-island, giving birth to Ethan and surviving after the statue was destroyed? This suggests that the statue wasn't what caused the problem but I still can't accept that the statue's destruction isn't a causal link.

The theory that conception has to take place off island (as Juliet suggested to Ben, but perhaps only as a ruse to get off the island) makes sense since that was the case with both Claire and Rousseau. Still, Sun's pregnancy would suggest that the opposite is true: that you can conceive on-island so long as you're off the island early in the second trimester.

I hope they tie up this issue nicely in S6. Only time will tell!

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
    -John Doe (Kevin Spacey), "Seven" . . . but it might as well be Lindelcuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bunny Killer View Post
    I like to believe that Juliet detonating the bomb is what destroyed the statue of Tawaret (Egyptian goddess of birth and rebirth) but, according to Lostpedia, the statue was destroyed sometime before 1974.
    Where do you see this? It's either not on the statue page or I'm not paying close enough attention.

I think we have to assume that Ethan is somehow more important than we imagined if he was born on-Island...any ideas as to how?

That's true, because he was conceived AND born on the island... Aaron, Alex, and Ji Yeon all have one of those traits but not the other. Then again, the problems with child birth might have started after Ethan was born... but of course that raises the question of why Dharma would have their women deliver off-island.

Sun: He's bleeding inside! You can't help him!
    Jack: Don't tell me what I can't do!

There's one bit of this episode that still gives me chills: when Jack prepares to cut off Boone's leg, he sends Michael away, and there's this fantastic moment where he and Sun just look at each other, her gaze accusing him. Then she turns and walks away. Who would have guessed from the pilot that Sun would turn out to so strong, and so complex?

Also, this show is beautifully, beautifully shot. Great stuff.

+ Reply to Thread