+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2x03 Orientation

I wasn't talking about intellectual properties
    it was a comment about Jack's stubborn idiocy ... people can have doctor's degree and still be idiots

Quote Originally Posted by faragay4faraday View Post
    I wasn't talking about intellectual properties
    it was a comment about Jack's stubborn idiocy ... people can have doctor's degree and still be idiots
    This is so true. I've called people idiots before and they've cited to me their grades or achievements in school/college, that just shows how stupid they are that they think that is proof of their intelligence

But that is a completely unrelated rant...

--

Yeah Kate annoyed me by just walking in and hitting Des in the head with her gun, not really the best tactic there.

I loved the mystery surrounding the Dharma Initiative, it was one of the best things about season 2 for me. I kinda miss it and I agree with whoever said Dharma weren't really explored enough in season 5, although they did leave a lot of room for explaining things in 6.

I don't really have anything else to say that hasn't already been said, although Jack Shepherd's Twin brought up a great point about Pierre Chang being alive after the incident, as made clear in the orientation video, I hadn't really thought about that.

wow no ones mentioned the best quote from this episode, and possibly one of my fav sawyer one liners.
    "When shaft opens up the lid, hes gonna get a little howdey doodie" *shakes gun*
    (or something along those lines) OMG im giggleing just htinking about it lollz
    I only hope one day I can be as witty as sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1983 View Post
    wow no ones mentioned the best quote from this episode, and possibly one of my fav sawyer one liners.
    "When shaft opens up the lid, hes gonna get a little howdey doodie" *shakes gun*
    (or something along those lines) OMG im giggleing just htinking about it lollz
    I only hope one day I can be as witty as sawyer.
    Don't you feel kind of bad for Josh when people expect him to be as quick as Sawyer?

see you in another life - Nadia too...(thoughts that the island is another life...dream or afterlife)

by the way, I didn't ever think Locke was betraying Kate - he definitely knew she could escape while maybe he could manipulate Desmond...

considering Locke's almost unquestioning faith and eagerness to do what opportunities the island seems to open up, it is odd that Locke hesitates to push the "execute" button. but we know later on that he'll believe in the button.

I like how Locke kind of manipulates (intentional?) people with total honesty - "I'm a box guy" to Des and "surprised" that Jack would be there.

I love Helen. She's so sweet and wonderful for Locke. I was upset when they didn't make it. [Kate, s.5: "Why didn't you make it?" Bentham/Locke:"I was angry, obsessed." then some harsh Kate comment about how, after everything, Locke hasn't changed. ] (I love Locke..if I was older... ) Poor Locke really deserves some happiness. I know his need to be special probably screws him over, but I really wish him some happiness. (too awful to think he really died and that was it to his life: unloved, unrespected, unimportant, and alone) I think he improved on the island beyond trying to connect spiritually with the island and finding self-importance. Off-island he was primarily concerned with himself, his needs. He is like this on-island, but he does try (I believe) to help other people, encourage other people (mostly in season 1) to find inner strength. I think some of his altruism is lost after s.1 though.

The fate of the world rests on a beat-up 70s computer that's supposed to never break-down? smart. So much implausible about this premise (then again, it's LOST). I really think it is all just a psych. experiment, to see whether you'd have faith in it or question authority (milgram experiments and such, big in the 60s and 70s before deemed unethical). I don't think not pushing the button would do jack...though I believe there is some radiation leak they're keeping in check. I don't know...maybe electromagnetic radiation just gradually leaks all the time...or the incident happened and ended...like a bomb that's basically done after it explodes. (which probably caused the pregnancy problems...though they should all have cancer)

on John getting conned (Cooper makes me sick!): "There is no why." (rather pithy) and you can't just "get over" something like that. also, how do you psychologically recover from something when you can have no absolution?

anyone make anything of Desmond's comment to Jack (flashback): "Lift it up?"

more thoughts:
    Mr. not-Chang says/implies that the Swan was up and running and doing experiments for a little bit before the incident. In Season 5, looks like the incident happens before the thing's built.

We never get more info. on Hanso, who kindof looks like Cooper.

quoted earlier: "Plus, I had a thought last night: what if the battle/war between black/white, good/bad, science/faith is really about achieving a balance between the two sides? It is only by merging the two ideals that true peace can be achieved. I'll leave you with this:

LOCKE: I can't do this alone, Jack. I don't want to. It's a leap of faith, Jack." yeah, that makes sense!

sayid's answer to "don't you need to know why?" sounds very like a soldier. I don't know about faith, but more acceptance of orders.

jack denied real life miracles too, even though it looked like he believed it with Sarah.

waiting at the hospital for Smokey with a life-size Ben cutout

I've been trying to make something of the "lift it up" line from Des too during the rewatch. Hoping we'll find some way to make that line come full circle too.

I really don't think pre-island Locke is that different from S2 on-island Locke. Still completely obsessed with something, can't let it go, will use anyone to get to what he's obsessed about, the more it lets him down the more obsessed he gets. I'm actually finding on-island Locke to be pathetic this time around. Before, I thought pre-island Locke was pathetic, but that on-island Locke was a man of wisdom, strength and leadership abilities. Now, I'm seeing both Lockes as pathetic, but because of the situation they're in on-island, many of the survivors are in a state of mind that causes them not to think he's pathetic, and to even go so far as to put faith in him, support him and believe him. And that's pathetic too.

I love being able to see so many different sides to the story during the rewatch.

Ok, I just noticed a major flaw in the timeline. In the Orientation video Dr Candle says that the reason the button is pressed is because of "an incident" that happened (a reference to the incident which happens at the end of the 5th season). But in the show Dr Candle is killed BEFORE he could ever film the Orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakie View Post
    Ok, I just noticed a major flaw in the timeline. In the Orientation video Dr Candle says that the reason the button is pressed is because of "an incident" that happened (a reference to the incident which happens at the end of the 5th season). But in the show Dr Candle is killed BEFORE he could ever film the Orientation.
    Is he killed? I don't think we know what happened to Candle/Chang?

Quote Originally Posted by sdorian View Post
    Is he killed? I don't think we know what happened to Candle/Chang?
    He wasn't killed. Something came down on his hand and Miles pulled him away. That was the last we saw of him in Season 5

Thanks Barney.

+ Reply to Thread