+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2x17 Lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chameleon View Post
    I'm pretty sure Darlton don't want us to think about this as much as we do...
    I'm pretty sure we're doing exactly what ABCDarlton wants us to do. It's been 4 months since the finale (3 months for your post - I'm a little behind). What other shows do you think about 4 MONTHS after the last season ended. Most other shows I watch are lucky to get 4 days of even a little bit of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bonds0756
    The mechanism isn't perfectly clear yet, but we can assume the answer is due to some sort of repetitious loop.
    Funny you should mention that. How about Jack and Hurley's "Loop" conversation?
    Hurley: Maybe if I was in the loop.
    Jack: There is no loop
    Hurley: Loop, dude...loop (there may be another dude - I'm paraphrasing)

Did the producers know about the time travel by this point for there to be loop talk?
    Last edited by Burnt_by_Lava; 09-27-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Fixing the Quote formats

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMoney37 View Post
    Biggest mistake of Locke's life: not taking the $700,000 for himself.

He and Helen could have lived happily ever after and he would have screwed Cooper over big time and gotten some revenge. Poor guy what did he mean at the end when he said he didn't do it for the money did he just want his dads approval?
    I think he just wanted to end his relationship with Cooper. Running off with the money would have left the guilt (not sure if that's the right word!) hanging over him for the rest of his life. This way he can cut his ties and get on with his life in peace. Or so he thinks...

amazing that Locke can trust anyone at all after what he's been through....

I really wish he hadn't helped Cooper to get the money. Not caving to Cooper would've given him more peace of mind than going in for another scheme. And he lost Helen and got paralyzed. But it all brought him to the island, if that's any consolation.

Locke should've gone up the air vent instead of under the door. And what caused the blastdoors to go down or up? This is probably the only time Ben helps someone else, probably because they don't know he's Ben yet.

The Locke flashbacks always break my heart. Of all the characters, I guess his flashbacks get to me the most. I really feel for the guy.

no Losties questions the food palette? Dharma food just rains from the sky years after, it seems, the DI ended. Or did Others take over the DI, fake the people back home, and take over off-island DI with the sub and food... are Others and DI really just the same? or was the food palette old and always there, or there since the 70s? I like the loop idea. the Others/DI still have contact with the outside world...

Maybe the button is still a joke, a psych experiment, and something else controls the energy all along... and whoever wrote on the blast door, if they're DI, wouldn't they know what all the DI stations are? ...I think, if I were Desmond, I would've given up on the button a long time ago out of boredom, lack of faith, curiosity or wanting to be free of it.

again, poor Locke. I wish Helen had given him yet another shot. (but then maybe Cooper would keep coming to him or vice versa)

waiting at the hospital for Smokey with a life-size Ben cutout

Remember though, Benry didn't really push the button at all. In a future episode, we see him flash back to this moment - he was still crawling through the air vent when the 108 minutes were up, and the hieroglyphs flipped onto the number panels. He never pushed the button. So he didn't really help John out that much - although he did come back and help him get up to the couch. Of course, John could have done that himself just as easily. Yet another instance of Ben manipulating actual events to make it look like he did something he didn't really do.

Quote Originally Posted by indiglo View Post
    Remember though, Benry didn't really push the button at all. In a future episode, we see him flash back to this moment - he was still crawling through the air vent when the 108 minutes were up, and the hieroglyphs flipped onto the number panels. He never pushed the button. So he didn't really help John out that much - although he did come back and help him get up to the couch. Of course, John could have done that himself just as easily. Yet another instance of Ben manipulating actual events to make it look like he did something he didn't really do.
    There's no Ben flashback. In this episode, he says

GALE: I did what you told me to. I punched in the code and pressed the execute button, but nothing happened other than that clock flipping back. I was climbing back into the vent when the lights went out. 10 seconds later the doors went up. I didn't do anything.

In the next episode, "Dave," when Ben is revealed to be on of the Others, he tries to undermine Locke by lying:

GALE: I crawled through your vents and I stood at your computer as the alarm beeped. And you know what happened? The timer went all the way down to zero, and then some funny red pictures flipped up in its place. They looked like hieroglyphics, but I'm no expert. And then things got real interesting. There was a loud clunking and a hum like a magnet -- a big magnet. It was really very frightening. And you know what happened next? Nothing happened, John. Nothing happened at all. Your timer just flipped back to 108. I never entered the numbers. I never pressed the button.

We know what happens when you don't press the button -- we see it in "Live Together, Die Alone" -- so we know that Ben had to have pressed the button or the station would've been destroyed.

What's interesting here is that Ben seems to know what happens when you don't press the button right away, which Locke had seen in "One of Them."

Oops, good call. I've watched too many episodes back to back and my brain has been scrambled from all the time travel.

Being that Ben was around DI when the Swan was built, isn't it possible he knew all that stuff about it's ins and outs - like the hieroglyph stuff. And the Swan was built after he was saved by the Others, so it was something he could have remembered. That, or maybe he saw video footage of the time Des didn't push it.

I completely understand. The only thing that doesn't add up about Ben's knowledge is that the producers have claimed the Others basically didn't know about the station:

"Per the Lost producers, the Others were largely unaware of the Swan station and its inhabitants until the survivors discovered it. (Official Lost Podcast/March 20, 2007)" http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Offi...March_20,_2007
    http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Swan

(I love the list of reasons why the Others should've known about it!)

Boy is that a weird thing for the producers to say! (all the hours I've spent on here, and I hadn't ever seen that page, cool!)

If I'm remembering right though, when they first meet Tom/Mr. Friendly in the jungle (and he later presents Kate with a bag on her head) - didn't Tom accuse the Losties of coming into a man's home and opening doors they had no business opening? I took that to be a reference to opening the hatch. If it was a reference to that, it would imply they knew about it already. (Found the quote on the transcripts: "Do you walk in the kitchen, eat food that doesn't belong to you? [He looks at Locke.] Open the door to rooms you got no business opening?")

Very weird though. Maybe they hadn't gotten all that worked out just yet, since at first, Henry wasn't going to be Ben either.
    Last edited by indiglo; 01-06-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by indiglo View Post
    If I'm remembering right though, when they first meet Tom/Mr. Friendly in the jungle (and he later presents Kate with a bag on her head) - didn't Tom accuse the Losties of coming into a man's home and opening doors they had no business opening? I took that to be a reference to opening the hatch. If it was a reference to that, it would imply they knew about it already.

Very weird though. Maybe they hadn't gotten all that worked out just yet, since at first, Henry wasn't going to be Ben either.
    I agree about Tom's comment, although by that point Ben may have already been spying on the Swan via the Pearl. It would be useful to know at what point Ben was aware of the Pearl station. It could also be that the producers were trying to explain why there were still D.I. people operating the Swan, since at this point the show had introduced the concept of the Purge, and that the Others and Dharma were different entities at odds with one another.

I wish we had 6 more seasons of this show left. There are way too many things I still need to know.

+ Reply to Thread