+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 3x01 A Tale of Two Cities

As above. Awesome opening but the rest of the episode is fairly dull. I never liked the cages. I've never liked jack flashbacks, well they feature Christian which is good but bottom line is they are repetitive and don't really tell us anything new. So all in all this episode is not doing much for me.

Here in lies a problem that season 3 will encounter, the flashback format was taken 1 season too far. They still work great for newer characters like Desmond and Ben and hell I even enjoyed Expose but when it comes to Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Sayid etc the flashbacks just offer nothing more.
    It's what makes the finale so god damn awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by flight316 View Post
    The opening of this episode is awesome, but the rest is mediocre at best. Flashbacks are repetitive and pretty worthless, nothing significant happens on island, no stand out scenes besides the first one, and the whole episode is focused around the Jack/Sarah relationship, which is a pretty weak plot for a season premiere.
    The bulk of season 3 is probably the weakest in the series. I call it the "cage era", since so much involves Jack/Sawyer/Kate locked up, and none of it's particularly interesting.
    So punish me for weakness, blame me for everything.
    I don't like the suffering, I like the sympathy it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Echo View Post
    The bulk of season 3 is probably the weakest in the series. I call it the "cage era", since so much involves Jack/Sawyer/Kate locked up, and none of it's particularly interesting.
    i concur

twitter.com/cstyles206

"in the condom aisle with your awesome smile, tomorrow we should watch LOST, hang out a while"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Echo View Post
    "cage era".. funny; I agree that these episodes are not the best ever...

But I just love the set-design of The Hydra. The fish-biscuit-thing, the walkways, the buildings, (later on room 23) - it´s like a weird fairy-tale. Awesome.

I find season 4 to be the least well written. Yesh, we get a huge plot advance, but.. Season 3 had a plethora of amazing Lost scenes. While season 3 did seem to drag, Season 4 kind of, came and went without too much style to hold it's own when compared to the first 3 Seasons.

This was a reasonable first episode of the season.

Glad to see Juliet at last. I found I really missed her during the first two seasons rewatch. And I do really like the interaction between her and Jack. She really had Jack's number down, that's for sure.

My favorite part of this episode, though, is when Sawyer figures out how to get the fish biscuit, and the circus music starts playing...and he's so excited until the feed pours out onto his feet and he says "Unbelieveable". That was hilarious.

Also, I think it's important to note that Matthew Fox did a tremendous job in this episode, both in the flashbacks to Jack's divorce and in his interactions with Juliet. He really did 'meltdown' very well.

I'd love to know more about that intercom in Jack's cell. Why did he hear his dad's voice?

Oh and awesome episode, I thought. The opener was unbelievable, of course, but everything with Juliet/Jack was gold.

When I saw Kate given a shower and a dress, I thought, this time, they're dolling her up as meat to wave in front of Sawyer and let nature take its course. And if Ben wanted her to feel civilized, then there wouldn't be the handcuffs. I think getting Kate to put the handcuffs on herself gets into her psyche. a powertrip for Ben and humiliating for her. same thing with Jack and the food. to break them.

Did Karl know they were on Hydra island, that Sawyer would have nowhere to run to?

It took me a long time to warm up to Juliet, but I never really trusted her. There's just something about her personality I didn't like, like she's always complacently lying. Manipulative while looking sweet. Are we supposed to trust her because she's pretty? In this episode I can't stand her. There's no way to trust her or think she's a good person.

Jack and his dad. Shows the power of jealously (anger, paranoia), you see what you're set out to see (no proof) and anger takes over, and there's no convincing otherwise. Besides, why would Sarah leave one obsessive doctor for another, his dad no less? It's hard to see how the flashbacks fit with the on-island stuff (other than maybe Juliet-Sarah comparisons).

Ben may really have liked Juliet but either his own rescue or wanting Jack to save her/manipulation was more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by sdorian View Post
    It took me a long time to warm up to Juliet, but I never really trusted her. There's just something about her personality I didn't like, like she's always complacently lying. Manipulative while looking sweet. Are we supposed to trust her because she's pretty? In this episode I can't stand her. There's no way to trust her or think she's a good person.
    It's amazing to me that what happens to Juliet in "The Incident" has made me cry, twice, when I think about what I used to feel about her character. And while they managed to humanize her a little bit in "Not In Portland" she was still doing awful things throughout S3. She mellows a bit in S4, but she still doesn't tell anyone anything about the Others, the monster, etc.

waiting at the hospital for Smokey with a life-size Ben cutout

What I notice during the rewatch is that I can see that Juliet is in turmoil. Some of the faces she makes when she's being manipulative with Jack show turmoil to me. And when she left the room to take the tray of food to Jack and Ben says "Nice work Juliet" yes she does say thank you, but the look on her face makes me flash forward to when she left Ben the recorded message that Sun got pregnant on the island. After she pushed stop, she said "I hate you". She has the same look on her face this early in the show, we just didn't know it yet.

I find myself feeling a lot more for the terrible position she is in during the rewatch, and I feel like I can actually see her struggling to do what she has to do to be set free, even though she didn't want to do it in this episode. I think she feels something for Jack even this early on. That's probably why Ben has her working with Jack rather than with Kate and Sawyer. For some reason she's drawn to Jack, and what better way to manipulate her?

+ Reply to Thread