+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3x10 Tricia Tanaka is Dead

Didn't Sawyer also step on a dart in season 5? Or am I imagining things? I swear I remember people going on about how he was totally going to lose a toe and become the inspiration for the statue.

This ep comes across better on the rewatches. The title was off-putting first time out of the gate. I could care less that Tricia Tanaka is dead. Shove the title aside, and it's just rich with classic Hurley moments. "Let's look death in the eye and say 'whatever.' " And the Easter eggs are nice, like the map, which looks like it leads to the Swan hatch with the switchback paths, and the fact that the van that has dead Roger becomes the van of death (which by the way is brought to our attention by none of the Vincent, the retriever of truth). And while I've never liked "The Road to Shambala," I remember it shot up the iTunes sales after this ep first aired. And I did like that it tied in with the flashbacks.

Cheech Marin was a good pick for his dad. I liked him from the start, and I just LOVE Lillian Hurst's work as Hugo's mom, Carmen. She's one of the treats you get because "Lost" picks actors who might not be so well known (at least by me) but we benefit because they are so good. I've never resented having any scene with her in it. It's just priceless when Carmen places her fingers of Jesus' ears so she can tell Hugo she "has needs." LOL!

It was too bad that Hurley never got over thinking that the numbers were cursed, as we later see in Season 4. Although we don't actually know if they are.

THis is probably my favorite Hurly-centric episode.

I forget how good this episode was. I laughed out loud at multiple moments. Hurleys mother is always a welcome addition.
    If this is filler then I am happy for tons of filler. A really great bonding story.

the dart is from the hatch, like the ping pong table...

twitter.com/cstyles206

"in the condom aisle with your awesome smile, tomorrow we should watch LOST, hang out a while"

This is one of my favorite Hurley episodes. There were several times when I was laughing out loud -

1. When Jin greets Sawyer in English, and Sawyer says "Well! Somebody's hooked on phonics!"

2. When Sawyer is teaching Jin 'the only 3 things a woman needs to hear' - "I'm sorry.", "You were right", and "Those pants do not make you look fat".

3. When Hurley's mom covered the ears of the little statue of Jesus when she told Hurley she 'had needs'.

4. When the meteor smashed the chicken shack. Yeah, yeah...Tricia was dead and all that...but it was just so...."This would only happen to Hurley" funny.

And I found myself being so happy for them after they got the van started, as they were riding around in circles, hooting and hollering. That was a really great 'feel good' moment in the show.

Of course, it is only later that we realize how Roger Work Man and the van got there.....

I really hated this episode the first time around, and I still don't like it. But like with all "Lost" episodes, there were some great moments. I liked the backstory with Hurley's dad, though it was still hard to tell he was genuine in the end...

I'm glad they reconnected in Season 5 and his dad helped him out in a tight spot. I really liked Hurley's poignant "talk" with Libby. Claire should have had a scene like this with Charlie in Season 4 to show she actually expressed grief.

I guess I didn't find many of the jokes all that funny, and usually, I love Hurley moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Fan 4815162342 View Post
    Cheech Marin was a good pick for his dad. I liked him from the start, and I just LOVE Lillian Hurst's work as Hugo's mom, Carmen. She's one of the treats you get because "Lost" picks actors who might not be so well known (at least by me) but we benefit because they are so good. I've never resented having any scene with her in it. It's just priceless when Carmen places her fingers of Jesus' ears so she can tell Hugo she "has needs." LOL!
    Yes! She was hilarious in her previous flashback moments but I think this is the best. The way she acts out that scene is priceless!

Cheech was, as you say, a good pick. How cool would it have been if it turned out that the body in the van was HIM! Then instead of Dharma beer, there could have been loads of bongs and joints in the back!
    Just a thought...

About time we had a Hugo-centric episode. Not only is "Stranger in a Strange Land" lame, it's sandwiched between two brilliant episodes. and here we have more father issues.

Right from the opening, talk of hope. (like faith and fate?) that you have to make your own luck, not stupid to hope etc. Hurley ends up believing in luck despite or because of his dad. ...and of course his dad would show up after he wins the money, what a sleezeball. no proof to me that Hurley's not cursed, it makes perfect sense. (makes me wonder if the writers of the show all have daddy issues) well I guess some mom's aren't that great either, like Shannon's and Walt's. still, the overall theme of fractured family...(of all the flashbacks, I feel most strongly/empathetic for Locke. they all have tragedy, but I tend to feel most for him)

It makes sense to me that Vincet is kind of prophetic. He's an animal, so he's naturally connected to the Island and it's whims...that's how I see it anyway. Shamanistic-type people, like Locke, Eko, and maybe Rose, people open to that, can try their best to connect, by being open to faith and signs from the island and trying to be at peace with it. But they can only try, because people have biases and egos and jealousies and baggage and crap. I think the Others try too, but they don't necessarily get it either. Ben really really tries, but he's so caught up in manipulation and selfishness, that I think he's probably least able to be open to the island. I think the Island disowns him...or wants to. I think maybe Hurley, as a good-natured person with no desire to control or lead, could maybe be kind of like a shaman. ....randomly I thought of Lapidus, as a "candidate", but we really don't know much about him. While I'm on my rant, we don't know much about the freighterfolk at all. and I really felt season 4 was rushed. and that a lot of season 5 just filled in missing pieces that we already really knew. both seasons 4 and 5, maybe season 3 too, were missing the finesse of gradual emotional complex character development, that was especially profound in season 1. i.e. taking their time on the little moments and on good flashbacks. and they still managed to have fast-paced action, mystery, and cliffhangers on-island. I hope season 6 recaptures some of this. (I'm also still pissy because I just suffered through "Strangers in a Strange Land")

Kate pissed me off (and I'm actually a big Kate fan) because she wanted Sawyer to apologize. I'm with him, that he didn't have anything to apologize for. what is this, the woman's always right or something? Oh yeah, and so much for Locke's big speech (and I, disappointed, am a big Locke fan too) that he was going to go get all of them back.

If you were Hurley, would you believe you were cursed? (it's like the flipside of Locke's on-island experiences, including him being healed, boostering a belief in destiny/fate) coincidence vs. fate Me personally, I'm not a fate person. so a whole friggin' lot of coincidences would have to happen for me to believe I was cursed. A meteor strike is highly unlikely...

and we get to see Roger, Ben's murdered dad...I forget if he was killed in a van, but he probably was.

and, to quote Hurley, "dude". They scored a van and beer. awesome.

meaningless note, but Sawyer must be running low on nickname ideas to call Charlie "Oliver Twist". Charlie's actually not an orphan...unlike a lot of people on the show...guess it's just a reference to his youth and theft. aw, Sawyer, he's still cool. I really like Charlie too. I can't pick sides between the two. musician or badass. I'm screwed.

aww, I almost cried when Hurley hugged Sawyer. He's so genuine. damn, I love all these characters (ok, except Jin, Shannon, Juliet and Ben...though I love to hate Ben.)

ok Kate, I love the effort to go save Jack, but being impetuous never got anybody anywhere. Slow down, listen to Sayid and Locke, and I'm sure a good sound plan could be formed. (you know, if Sayid's got a better plan than that whole sailboat fiasco. he should also tell them about the fake village. hell, tell everybody. use everybody's ideas to gain an opinion of what they're up against. and what about that whole army idea? guess they're outnumbered anyway.)

that whole scene with Hugo's mom covering Jesus' ears, letting the dad back because she's lonely, Hugo's reaction, the almost dead but not quite relationship between Hugo and his dad...it's so real. great writers!

on realistic stuff (I know it's a show), I bet a car from the 70s that's been abandoned could probably still run...if you replaced the tires. and the beer..do you think it'd distill to vinegar (become poison) as Hurley suggests. I know hard liquor lasts for ages.

Hurley's pep talk to Charlie makes me wish I had a friend like Hurley. "let's look death in the face and say whatever, man." dude, Hurley's awesome.

also, Danielle knew the Others had her daughter all along...

+ Reply to Thread