+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3x17 Catch-22

Default 3x17 Catch-22

Lost Rewatch discussion for "Catch-22"

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Catch-22

The spliced editing and voice over as Desmond climbs the tree to cut Naomi loose, is some of the most powerful I can think of in the entire series.

I noticed in the brief pan shot of Ruth's living room, there is a stylized elliptical shaped hole cut out of the stairway's railing. To me it is odd and out of place among the rest of the standard home decor. But it is reminiscent of the elliptical shaped window at the bunkbed in the Swan hatch.

1) I read Catch-22 in High School for a term paper. It's a great book. I love that the book is completely a linear and in just a few episodes the show (while never one to be terribly chronological) is about to take a nose-dive into non-linearity that has yet to recover from.

2) While there are vineyards in England and Wales, I seriously doubt that there could be a vineyard in Scotland that could fetch 100 quid a bottle.

3) So, did Desmond have a vision of Jacob?

I had the same thought about the man Desmond saw upon waking up in the street. But was it Jacob or just a regular old monk? It'd be interesting if it was the former but I figure we would have seen this in The Incident if it had been, then again there is still a whole season left so who knows.

It's kind of interesting that both Ruth and later Penny sum up Desmond as being a coward and afraid of commitment. And both times it's because Desmond ran away to something he believed he was meant to do.

I'm glad Desmond didn't let Charlie die for nothing. I don't buy his claim that if he changes something the vision changes-- how would he know this? Besides, he never actually saw Penny on the island, he just assumed the parachutist was her from the rest of the flashes he saw. Still, I remember how shocking it was that Naomi wasn't Penny but that she still knew Desmond though he apparently had no idea who she was.

Actually, I've changed my mind. It wasn't Jacob; it was his enemy.

Consider how important the Swan was to his plan. Also consider this line:

"And the first thing I noticed was the rope tied round his waist, and I looked at him and I knew, I knew, I was supposed to go with him."

Rope:
    http://gallery.lost-media.com/displa...053&fullsize=1

No Rope:
    http://gallery.lost-media.com/displa...037&fullsize=1

Sure that last bit could apply to a monk, but I seriously doubt it.

Fairly certain the man with rope around his waist that Des described was simply Brother Campbell.

the opening scene was horrible, poor charlie!

i think this episode really drove the point that desmond (possibly more than anyone else on that island) has been living his life in a series of steps that have lead him to exactly where he is at this point.
    in the first flashback the monk says to desmond:
    For whatever reason, your path has led you here. And now you're one of us. Welcome, brother.

i had forgotten some things about this flashback...namely that desmond dated ruth and was engaged to her. i like this because it helps strenghten what he has with penny.... he did give up on ruth because he knew it wasnt the path he was meant to be on...but he never gives up on penny (well...maybe he has, but not for long).
    i loved the end scene where penny and desmond met.

kate jumps sawyer because she sees jack with juliet? she is so annoying. sometimes i will forget for a few episodes how much i dislike her...and then she does something so very kateish and i remember...

I also had the thought about Jacob, but I think it really was Brother Campbell. Note that he conspicuously makes sure that Desmond is around to meet Penny, and there is a photo of him with Eloise Hawking. I don't know if he's actually an Other, but it certainly seems that he was making sure Desmond took the correct path to end up on the island, just as Eloise and probably Charles Widmore were.

I've started to pay more attention to Hurley. There are those who think he may be a successor to Jacob. So, in this episode when Desmond needs to influence someone to follow him- Hurley, "the master" helps him out. In the previous episode Hurley spent a lot of effort on Sawyer, trying to help him to be the leader the survivors needed.

Hurley does a lot of thinking about the group and what they need- and he takes action. He seems to understand individuals too. Maybe he is the one.

+ Reply to Thread