+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 4x01 The Beginning of the End

Quote Originally Posted by MM0602 View Post
    Well now that the blogs have been completely abandoned the schedule is a bit pointless. I won't be starting season 5 until the DVD comes out either, but I doubt we'll miss much discussion anyway. I am trying to drag out season 4 until then though... I need constant Lost until May :P
    I'm in the same boat, and where's the interest in the rewatch? I buzzed through S4 pretty fast and while I still find some elements of the freighter folk confounding and irritating, on the whole I have a much higher opinion of S4 than I did before.

One problem is the way the story is told out of order and with critical elements not filled in until S5, while introducing a lot of new characters who aren't fleshed out very well. It's a bit more watchable once we've seen more of them in S5. But Abbadon, for example, is sort of vague. Why would he harass Hurley about survivors of the crash? Unless it's just part of Widmore's attempt to encourage everyone to go back (I'm still fascinated by the fact that Widmore and Ben both want pretty much the same thing). And actually here Hurley is the first to pressure Jack into going back, followed by Locke, then Ben, as we'll find out later.

There's a lot of stuff here though. Notice that whispers accompany the cabin appearance, and it almost seems as though Hurley is cut off from the group by unseen forces. Whose eye was that in the window (I know they wanted Hurley to see himself at one point, was it supposed to be his own)? Also Locke appears right after Hurley makes the cabin disappear, is that timing significant, was the cabin trying to reach Locke?

Jack pulling the trigger still amazes me, it took awhile for that to sink in and then it hits hard.
    Last edited by Dr. Chameleon; 10-28-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

After freeze framing, etc., I'm pretty convinced the eye was Locke's. Especially when he arrives on the scene just minutes later.

Yeah, when rewatching this I also thought it looked a LOT like Locke's eye. I'm pretty sure it isn't actually Terry O'Quinn... but that'd be kind of interesting wouldn't it? Possibly a resurrected future Locke? Not that I'm rooting for that

How did Locke know Charlie was dead and what it said on his hand? Wasn't he on the other side of the island n shit? That makes me think it was him in the Cabin and that he was getting information from Christian or something...although that would play nicely into the "Locke was 'the man in black' all along" theory which I hate.

It did look a lot like his eye though and he shouldn't know about Charlie, did nobody else pick up on that? Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Nathan182; 11-02-2009 at 02:15 AM.

I think we're meant to assume Hurley told him about Charlie off-screen

Well, the start of season 4 didn't have that great of a beginning but we will never know what could "have been" if the writers would have had a whole season to work with. Thank goodness we got what we did out of this season!

The first thing that really stuck out for me was the title and the fact that the cabin moved. I think this was a significant thing that has been over looked so far. Having the people on the island able to "talk" again to the outside world seems to be a "beginning of the end" kind of thing to me. They have reconnected the "rabbit hole" to the outside world and now the island can be found again.

I always love the Hurley episodes! He is such a fun character to follow and in this episode we find out that Hurley too is special. The cabin draws him in for a reason that we still don't understand but it is oddly interrupted by John finding him in the jungle. I'm not sure if John was with the cabin(inside) or protecting Hurley from what was inside but I still think the eye we saw looked a lot like Issac of Uluru, the healer man from one of Rose's episodes.

Just when Jack thinks he is in control of things at last, we get to see Ben still maintain some control even tied to a tree! I caught a line from Jack to Claire that hinted at her not getting off the island when he tells her that he is only worried about missing a ride home on the helicopter. That is exactly what happened to Claire. Kate always manages to show up Jack and as usual he never listens to anyone else.

The scene with Abaddon and Hurley at Santa Rosa seems to be explained by the conversation in season 5 between Charles and John. Charles gives John the folders on the 06 and tells him he has been watching them.

Another thing I noticed was that Naomi must have took the knife out of her back and used it against Kate. Wow!! These people who seem to be dead and come back again and again are really tough!

Having the 2 groups meet up again at the cockpit was brilliant! They come together again only to be pulled apart in separate directions and views. Charlie's death was sort of brushed aside for this intense meeting of Jack and John. We get to see Jack lose it and pull the trigger on the gun. I know that John said it wasn't loaded but the look on Jack's face sort of said it all. I believe that it was loaded and once again the island(?) saved John's life. The best was Hurley's speech about Charlie reminding them all what he did for each and everyone of them. Whether or not anyone of them was safe with who they went with, was quickly changed when Ben chose to go with John's group and he KNEW he was putting them all in danger. Ben knew who was coming to the island...Keamy... and that he was after Ben.

It was nice to see Dom come back for another appearance with Hurley. I liked that the other patient saw Charlie too. It was almost as if they can see things that the rest of us can't and it doesn't make them crazy, only special.

Best Line: Charlie, "I am dead but I'm also here."
    Best Scene: The cabin scene with Hurley and then he runs, stumbles and falls down only to open his eyes to John!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob'sWiseOldMother View Post
    Having the 2 groups meet up again at the cockpit was brilliant! They come together again only to be pulled apart in separate directions and views.
    I LOVE the scene at the nose section. It's great on so many levels. It was a stroke of brilliance to have the survivors meet up (and separate) at the only remaining section of flight 815, the thing that brought them together and to the island in the first place. Just a great idea to set it there, it added so much to the moment.

And I LOVE the bit where Jack and Kate look into the wreckage-

KATE: Are you thinking of Charlie?

JACK: Feels like a hundred years ago that we came out here together. How did this happen?

IMO, it's the attention to great little emotional details like this that makes "Lost" such a great show. Jack and Kate are thinking back to the second day on the island, and reflecting on everything that's happened to them since. And it's only been 91 days for them, even though for us it's been four years!
    a

Proud Member of the DHC-- Specialty: Epic Hed

Quote Originally Posted by mattepntr View Post
    I LOVE the scene at the nose section. It's great on so many levels. It was a stroke of brilliance to have the survivors meet up (and separate) at the only remaining section of flight 815, the thing that brought them together and to the island in the first place. Just a great idea to set it there, it added so much to the moment.

And I LOVE the bit where Jack and Kate look into the wreckage-

KATE: Are you thinking of Charlie?

JACK: Feels like a hundred years ago that we came out here together. How did this happen?

IMO, it's the attention to great little emotional details like this that makes "Lost" such a great show. Jack and Kate are thinking back to the second day on the island, and reflecting on everything that's happened to them since. And it's only been 91 days for them, even though for us it's been four years!
    Absolutely!! This is the same reason that with all the new shows we have seen this year...FlashForward....V... none of them even compare to Lost at all!!

This is a pretty good episode...although I really hate the scene where Hugo tells Claire that Charlie is dead. Not Jorge Garcia's finest acting moment, IMO. His pained expression as he walks up to her looks so fake it's unbelievable.....even downright painful to watch. Plus, Desmond should have been the one to tell Claire - he was the one who had witnessed Charlie's death and could best answer all the questions she would no doubt have.

Also, Hugo gives that angry speech to everyone about how he's not following Jack, but 'following his friend', as if they had all intentionally ignored Charlie's sacrifice up to that point. But the thing is that at that point, none of the tower group except for Claire had even been told that Charlie was dead! I thought it was lame of Hugo to make that angry speech, when no one from the tower group (including Jack) even knew Charlie was dead yet.

Next - hurray for Daniel Faraday! Good to see him again after so long!

Final comment - pretty brave of Ben to go with Locke, considering that he shot him and left him for dead at the Dharma mass grave only a day or two before.
    Last edited by Richard Was Here; 11-27-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imbeanie View Post
    Beccabee-- How funny: we're having just the opposite response here, wondering how we ever thought Jack was heroic and not just an ego-driven nut. We "affectionately" call out "a$$jack!" in the manner of the Aflac duck whenever he does something particularly ridiculous. (And not to start an all-out war, but I think a lot of our dislike for Jack is not particularly because of the character or writing, but because of Matthew Fox, who although good, seems just a little out of his league, acting-wise. Locke and Benjamin [among others, and Others] are far more over-the-top characters, but O'Quinn and Emerson do such an amazing job, it doesn't matter. Foxy just seems like he is trying so hard to emote, he comes off looking constipated.)
    I really find Foxy to be a much better actor than O'Quinn or Emerson, but to each his own.

The post above me makes a good point that no one in Jack's group even knew about Charlie's death, except for Claire, until Hurley's outburst. I do find Hurley a little annoying in this episode, like when Claire asks what happened to Charlie. "He was trying to help us." Thanks, Hurley, I think she already knew that much.

I also find it interesting that John says that if he and Hurley couldn't convince Jack's group to not call the freighter, than Charlie died for nothing. But it kinda seems like he died for nothing regardless if turning off the equipment in the Looking Glass would only lead to trouble.

I'd totally go with Jack's group. As Claire says later, "All we know is whose boat it isn't. Don't we want to find out whose boat it is?"

+ Reply to Thread