+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4x07 Ji Yeon

Default 4x07 Ji Yeon

Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "Ji Yeon"
    (Oct 19 - Oct 25)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ji_Yeon

Argh! I had another weird timing out problem where my post disappeared. Not that anyone's reading these...

So there are a couple of elements to this episode that encapsulate what bothers me about season four, namely consistency (let's not even get into the horrible news about Jin). They were telling the story out of order, and in an incomplete version (certain major holes aren't filled until S5), while introducing a lot of new characters, one of the most disappointing of which was Captain Gault. In "The Constant," Minkowski suggested that Gault was dangerous ("when the captain finds out..."). Now we meet the captain, but before that Frank warns Sayid and Desmond that they don't want to talk to him, and they get a note from Michael saying not to trust him. Even after we meet the less-than-imposing Gault, the doctor says "just don't piss him off." Wow. This guy must be a total badass. But no. The worst thing we see him do is beat one of his crew... in order to protect him. Keamy is the badass, even if he comes off as kind of a goofy hillbilly until he gets to the island and starts taking people out. Why this buildup with no payoff? If anything, Gault turns out to be pretty helpful.

Between this and all the lying that Dan and Charlotte do, it seems like the freighter folk were not very well fleshed out ahead of time, and that drives me crazy. Sure, Miles says "80% of the people on this boat are lying," but Dan is obviously a pretty good guy, so why does he never warn the Losties that, for example, Ben is trying to kill them all with poison gas or Keamy and his crew are coming to shoot everyone? I suppose he could be *afraid* -- but for the most part it just doesn't add up. See also Gault's belief that Ben faked the wreckage of flight 815 when Miles is shown to be aware of Widmore's connection in S5 "Some Like It Hoth." Am I nitpicking? Does this stuff bother anyone else?

Kate even comments on it:

JIN: What happened?

KATE: You mean before or after the redhead knocked me out?

[Sun looks at Charlotte, and turns back to Kate]

SUN: She hit you?

KATE: When I ran into them on my way back from Locke's camp.

SUN: Why would she do that?

KATE: I guess she didn't wanna have to explain why she was on her way to a poison gas factory.

Seriously? Because she was going to *stop* it, why wouldn't she tell them? Juliet inexplicably lied and ran off in that episode, too. I feel like the characters behavior doesn't make any sense, and these things are in there just to create drama. I'd rather have the characters make sense, even if it means they get along once in ahile. I mean, come on.

Here, again, Daniel won't tell Sun who's in charge. Why? Because he doesn't know if it's Naomi, Gault, or Keamy? I just don't understand why he's so tight-lipped when ultimately he means them no harm.

My original version of this was more coherent and less whiny, so please forgive me.
    Last edited by Dr. Chameleon; 10-28-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo

Hey Doc-- At least one person is reading. We're going off the Rewatch timetable and spacing out our viewing of Season 4 to get to the Season 5 DVD release, so I'm a little behind. I think that a lot of the disappointments you have in this season (and I'm right there with you!) are due to the writer's strike; I trust the creative team would have done more with a lot of your points if they had had a full season.
    Last edited by imbeanie; 10-29-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imbeanie View Post
    Hey Doc-- At least one person is reading. We're going off the Rewatch timetable and spacing out our viewing of Season 4 to get to the Season 5 DVD rel;ease, so I'm a little behind. I think that a lot of the disappointments you have in this season (and I'm right there with you!) are due to the writer's strike; I trust the creative would have done more with a lot of your points if they had had a full season.
    While I don't think the strike *helped* in any way, the big delay was between Meet Kevin Johnson and The Shape of Things to Come, so I still think that they set out on this season without having the freighter folk strongly defined, which was a mistake. In any event, like I said, I've warmed to the season and I'm trying to let go, but it's tough when you've got this level of obsession.

I should've slowed down, too, but we've been horribly sick the past couple of weeks so we had a lot of TV time. Also I found being able to rush through this season without pause helped it flow better. Time to check out the bonus features...

Dr. Chameleon keep the rewatch alive! I don't post much, but i am reading you always.

ps
    lol. i forgot who is the sixth oceanic survivor don't tell me, it would be a surprise
    Last edited by tohdom; 11-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tohdom View Post
    Dr. Chameleon keep the rewatch alive! I don't post much, but i am reading you always.
    Ha! Thanks. I'm working on "Cabin Fever" now. Slow day at work.

Haha despite Dr's complaints... this is one of my favourite episodes I guess part of it is because I LOVE Sun and Jin so much. So naturally this episode always makes me constantly tear up. It's such a mean move from the writers because in Jin's last flashback you think we're finally going to get a happy ending to a flashforward but then... oh, he's not going to see Sun? Oh, he's only been married 2 months?? Oh, Sun's visiting his grave!?

Said it before and I'll say it again, if Sun and Jin don't get a happy ending I'll hate the writers!

Quote Originally Posted by MM0602 View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again, if Sun and Jin don't get a happy ending I'll hate the writers!
    Oh, yeah. I've been so bogged down in plot details / mysteries I haven't even had time to fret about what's going to become of all these characters. Scary thought!

We're spacing out S4 too...I don't want too much lag time. We'll watch this over the weekend...I did wonder after seeing S5...What did Eloise tell her son and what didn't she.

So...The captain thinks Ben staged the plane wreck, but we know from Miles it was Charles..So is the capt. lying or does he really believe it's Ben? The other thing...How did Sun explain her pregnancy...If Jin died in the crash, how does she explain a full term baby? I can't remember if that was addressed in the extras(conspiracy theory)...I better watch that again.

+ Reply to Thread