+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 4x09 The Shape of Things to Come

Yep, Sawyer really had come along way since the days when he'd pretended to hold a (non-existent) inhaler for ransom so he could con a kiss out of a hot chick.

A real pivotal episode that just gets better the second time around. On my initial viewing, it didn't dawn on me but I think Ben planned on something intentionally happening to Alex, Danielle and Karl by Keamy's team. When Keamy hold's her at gunpoint, Ben is so adamant that it almost feels like he believes the island will not allow her to die. Then he is proven wrong.

That moment he see's Alex tumble to the ground is one of Michael Emerson's most powerful acting moments in the series as the camera pans around the actor, time seemingly frozen for many seconds. The first time I saw this scene I thought that Ben was holding the line with regards to Keamy's demands by denying any emotions he has for Alex so they would not be manipulated. This is followed by his sheer awe that Keamy had the audacity to actually pull the trigger. Part of me now wonders if Ben was confident that the island would protect her and when it didn't, he was in serious doubt as to where he stood in the grand scheme (the island not healing his tumor, John hearing Jacob, Hurley & John being able to see the cabin). Was this a sign of him falling more out of favor?

The rest of the epsiode was a non-stop action roller coaster! I loved the scene where Sawyer was standing next to one of the cabins while one of the 815 survivors walked out. *Twip*, down he goes followed by another ("what was that?" *twip*) followed by a third. Reminds me of that scene in the Steve Martin classic, "The Jerk" where the sniper is trying to shoot him from afar. Steve is working at a gas station and noticed a hole suddenly appear in an oil can. He bends over to examine it and suddenly a second and third hole appears. It takes him sometime to realize he is being fired upon :-)

I love Ben's line to Sayid when he recruits him. "Don't let your grief turn into anger" mirroring his own feelings over Alex's death. Sayid plays right into his hands

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    Part of me now wonders if Ben was confident that the island would protect her and when it didn't, he was in serious doubt as to where he stood in the grand scheme (the island not healing his tumor, John hearing Jacob, Hurley & John being able to see the cabin). Was this a sign of him falling more out of favor?
    I like this. More & more Ben realizes other people are special. By the time he gets back to the island, his importance is pretty much diminished.
    "If we can't live together... we're going to die alone."

"Oh awesome. The ship sent us another Sawyer."

"You're just not looking at the big picture, Doc. You're still back in civilization. Me? I'm in the wild."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    The rest of the epsiode was a non-stop action roller coaster! I loved the scene where Sawyer was standing next to one of the cabins while one of the 815 survivors walked out. *Twip*, down he goes followed by another ("what was that?" *twip*) followed by a third. Reminds me of that scene in the Steve Martin classic, "The Jerk" where the sniper is trying to shoot him from afar. Steve is working at a gas station and noticed a hole suddenly appear in an oil can. He bends over to examine it and suddenly a second and third hole appears. It takes him sometime to realize he is being fired upon :-)
    "He hates these cans. Stay away from the cans!"
    "I don't have to prove anything to you, Richard. You either come with me or you can keep trying to blow stuff up. Your call, dude."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Was Here View Post
    This is a great episode. So much important stuff happens!

We get to see Ben in Tunisia...we get to see how Sayid comes to work for Ben...we (unfortunately) see Alex's death, we get to see Ben v. Whitmore, and we get what are probably the coolest shots of Smokey in the entire series.

But oddly, my favorite part of this episode is none of those things. Instead, I LOVE the part where Sawyer takes control of the situation and and breaks away from Ben and Locke with Claire, Aaron and Miles to head for the beach...and also stands up for Hurley against Locke. That little scene is one of my favorite Sawyer scenes in the entire show, because I see this as the place where Sawyer turns the corner and becomes a leader among the group..willing to go out on a limb for others.

"He ain't goin' anywhere with you, you crazy sonofabitch!"

GO Sawyer!

I also like the bit where Bernard calls bull-ony on Daniel's 'translation' of the morse code message. That was awesome!
    awesome episode !!!

and go sawyer

( but its "you touch one hair on his curly head", which is even funnier, lol)

+ Reply to Thread