+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x09 The Shape of Things to Come

Default 4x09 The Shape of Things to Come

Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "The Shape of Things to Come"
    (Oct 26 - Nov 1)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_...Things_to_Come

One of the most critical episodes of the series. What's amazing watching it now is that the big reveal of Widmore vs. Ben seems overshadowed by "The Incident" reveal of Jacob vs. ... that other guy. How closely related are these two rivalries, and which will play the greater role in shaping the endgame?

So much other stuff here: we learn how Sayid started working for Ben (although we still won't learn the specifics of Nadia's fate until S5).

In light of what's to come, why does Ben think that it's so important for Locke to survive? Especially after he tried to kill him not all that long ago?
    BEN: It's very important that you survive what's about to happen here, John. So I need you to stay close to me.

A bunch of 815 survivors get mowed down here. There was so much going on that I didn't really grasp this the first time I watched. I think this plays into Hurley's apology to Jack for going with Locke. Also, I know it's not official yet, but I don't see how you can possibly think Claire survived this. I know she's walking around and talking for awhile, but between the explosion she was in and the way Miles acts around her afterward, it's pretty clear that she's not *dead* dead. She's Christian dead. I expect we'll find out what this means before the show is over.
    SAWYER: You all right, sweetheart?
    CLAIRE: Yeah, a bit wobbly, but, uh, I'll live.
    MILES: Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that.

What rule did Ben think would protect Alex, we all wonder? Is this the only time we've seen adult Ben cry in the series? More fodder for my smoke monster theory, Alex doesn't get buried and she later appears as an apparition out of the smoke monster.

There's still mixing of Dharma vs. Others stuff that doesn't make sense. Did Ben modify this house, because otherwise Dharma had a secret room that led to a place where you could summon the smoke monster....

Any significance to Widmore's nightmares? And why does his focus shift to getting the O6 back to the island after his Kahana mission fails and Ben moves the island?

Smaller observations:

More weirdness with time when the doctor's body washes up on shore, the island and the Kahana not in sync. Why does Miles keep lying?

Hurley's "luck" on display again with his game of Risk.

Meanwhile, Keamy actually does become scary here after coming of like a non-threatening dimwitted thug. How in the hell did he survive the monster attack? Note the lightning-esque flashes this time, any relation to the flashing it did when it "scanned" Juliet and Kate? Does it matter?

Love the shotgun in the piano bench. We won't find out the particulars of Ben "landing" in Tunisia for a few more episodes. Between Ben and Locke (and the polar bear skeleton), it seems like turning the wheel sends you to the same exit point every time. Any special significance to this location?

Is there any significance to the "Jack becomes ill" subplot? It doesn't really go anywhere. Is the island/Jacob punishing him in a similar manner to Ben and his spinal tumor?

I think Ben's statement "every single one of my people is prepared to die in service to this island" is interesting. Obviously we've seen some evidence of this with young Charles and Bea/Mikhail, but what makes these people so dedicated, if not brainwashing?

Were any of the Kahana crew told/warned about Jacob and the MiB? Certainly Charles would have known about one or both of them. Or do they not directly intervene in the lives of mortals so knowledge of their existence would be irrelevant?

Yeah the Dharma/Smokey thing really annoys me, if they had a fence to keep it out, why could they summon it from under one of their houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan182 View Post
    Yeah the Dharma/Smokey thing really annoys me, if they had a fence to keep it out, why could they summon it from under one of their houses.
    Seems like a pretty major plot hole, although with the amount of Dharma/Others melding throughout the series I wonder if we'll find out that Dharma was somehow related to the Others all along. Perhaps the Dharma Initiative was started by some exiled Other, in which case it's possible that some members might have been up to as-yet-unknown shenanigans. We've seen in both organizations (and amongst the Losties) how some members are doing stuff that the rest of the group knows nothing about, so there's certainly an in-show precedent for it.

"MILES: Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that."
    just brilliant! We thought he referred to the treat from Keamy, but it is very possible that he sense that Claire is not very alive

This episode to me is so sad for the fact of the way Alex is killed. Absolute tragedy. Such a great girl, I mean some of her last words were begging Keamy and his men not to kill Aaron.

This is a REALLY important episode, I feel. I think it's the 'turning point' in season 4. LOL I guess hence the title.

iDream247 detonates my heart too

what breaks my heart is that the last thing she heard IN HER LIFE:
    "She's not my daughter. She means nothing to me. So if you want to kill her, go ahead and do it.."
    so cruel!!!

^ That is so true

I don't think Claire died, it seems like they would have made it obvious if she did die rather than hinting at it, making her disappear for a season, then coming back 3 years after the attack and being all "oh yeah, btw, I died 3 years ago when the Barracks were rocket launcher'ed." Although Miles does become creepily interested in her after this. I wonder why Sawyer didn't try to look for her after the time flashes? Or perhaps she was part of the "people" that Jin was looking for.

I've always loved all the details in Ben's first flashforward in the desert and how it seemed so confusing the first time, but after the finale it makes perfect sense. His talk with Charles and the fact that he couldn't bring himself to kill Penny in the end really make me think Widmore is the bad guy. These two need to meet again before the end.

One of the best episodes of the show Awesome scenes at the Barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by MM0602 View Post
    I've always loved all the details in Ben's first flashforward in the desert and how it seemed so confusing the first time, but after the finale it makes perfect sense. His talk with Charles and the fact that he couldn't bring himself to kill Penny in the end really make me think Widmore is the bad guy. These two need to meet again before the end.
    That was some pretty cool storytelling, although it was somewhat lost on me the first go-round, because there was so much going on and my brain is tired and slow. You've just reminded me, though, of how terrified I was for several episodes in S5 that Ben had murdered Penny -- from the moment we saw Ben bloodied at the pay phone...my partner actually burst into tears when I guessed what happened. Fortunately it turned out differently!

For me, I'm guessing it can't be so cut and dried as Ben = good, Widmore = evil, as they've both done terrible things. Should be interesting to see if that holds true for Jacob vs. X, Jack vs. Locke, etc. in the end, or if Eko rides in on a dragon and smites them all with his Jesus stick in the last 15 minutes.

A few things that stood out for me...Why didn't sawyer get shot? The freighter people were good shots...It seemed like the bullets bounced off him...Was the island keeping him alive. There were a lot of shots directly at him...

The frightened look on the receptionist in Tunisia when she saw the name on the ledger...

Aaron crying...I found it odd that he cried when Charlie died...could it be he cried when Claire died as well...

+ Reply to Thread