+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 5x02 The Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob'sWiseOldMother View Post
    I would love to know what they have all been through lately??
    As the wait for S6 drags on, one of the things I find myself wondering about more is what transpired on the island in the three years between the start of the time flashes and when Ajira 316 lands on the island. With Ben and John gone, wouldn't Richard have started the search for a new leader? But they don't seem to have one. Curious.

I think it was just a twig in Sawyer's foot. The dart was back in "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" as someone else mentioned. When this episode first aired, everyone thought that Sawyer was going to end up losing his toe, and the four-toed statue would be built because of him. Someone even asked Darlton about it on the podcast. I think the point was just to show that Sawyer didn't have any shoes, but it was pretty random.

That Gabriel and Jeffrey line really stood out to me. Strange that they were never mentioned again.

I think the box that Ben had in the hotel room was the gun he was going to use to kill Penny. In the deleted scenes on the season 5 DVD's, there's another scene between Ben and Jill where they discuss where Penny is located.

I love this season! I would have been cool with doing the time jumps for the rest of the show. It was such a cool concept.

This was the best episode of Season 5 for me... the time flashes, the O6, Ben... awesome momentum. For me, the season peaked very very early.

The Lie - thing is, no one would believe the truth anyway. We don't know the freighter people would kill them; they just wanted Ben. We don't know Widmore's out to kill them. We don't know if Widmore sunk the plane (could've been Ben and his people, and lying about it to manipulate them...no one's going to go so far out of their way just to save Ben's hide, Ben needs to make Widmore/freighter etc. seem like a threat to everybody).

Widmore and Abaddon are after them - to bring them back to the island (ben's goal). probably so Widmore can gain control of the island from Ben. But Widmore doesn't hop on Ajira. So what is in it for him? Maybe Sun, or somebody, is Widmore's informant on the island at the end of season 5.

Point being, we don't even know Widmore's the bad guy (except for him being brutal to Desmond). Whereas we know the cold callous mass murdering of Ben.

aw, the scenes with Hurley and Sayid. Hurley's just a good person. Doesn't want to lie. Isn't going to not help Sayid. Hurley might be the closest the Losties have to a completely morally upright character (no killing, conning, lying). So I think that plays in to why he can see Jacob's cabin. (hey, Jacob didn't come to Hurley in "the Incident" like the other people, did he?)

There's that "work to do" phrase. I think it's always said by a ghost. It implies the target is kind of chosen, it implies duty, it implies predestination and free will kind of. As in..all this has to happen, must happen. You're integral to it. You have to do this, but you also have to chose to do it. It's got to be the Island talking.

Ben and Jack - quickest most painless rehab ever

I wonder if that was really LAPD at Hurley's house. kindof looked like Abaddon

Hurley's dad's watching Expose. Aaron pushes the button. nice.

I paid a lot more attention to Ben's conversation with Jill the butcher this time around. That Locke, and Locke's body being safe, is the key to it all - not so much all the other Oceanic 6. that Ben's up to something grand, that Jill knows about. So it can't just be (as I had thought) that Ben just wants to get back to the island. or to seek retribution for Alex. It sounds like, from Jill, that it's bigger than Ben's personal agenda. However, knowing Ben, he could've made something up to Jill... It's probably something grander than Ben because of Eloise...

Ben in Tunisia before, Ben storing something with Jill before...this dejavue sense Ben's done this all before. (can Ben be the nemesis?) I would really like to see Ben being manipulated and played as a pawn. (well, guess he is at the end of s. 5)

How did Miles know about the boar? What's the deal with the flaming arrows? Others?

and continuity: if Frogurt dies in the past, how can he live his future? but then they explain this, sortof, that where they are now is their present, so they can die...ok. Whether or not you can change the past is sort of the same issue as fate vs. free will.

and Juliet and Sawyer getting all buddy buddy. I realize he misses Kate and she misses Jack. But doesn't Sawyer remember she locked them in caged, she didn't care if they died (ordered it even), and constantly lied...even up to going off to the Tempest. She's been working for Ben undercover. And they couldn't trust the freighterfolk and Michael reappeared working for Ben...amazing they trust anybody. Maybe it's as simple as trust who you're with for now, whoever it is - even loathsome Ben - because it's all you've got in a dangerous situation and you don't want to be alone.

Hugo: Everything's going to make sense, I promise.
    Hugo's mom: It better!
    I hope the writer's heed their own words.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chameleon View Post
    A POINTED STICK???!!!????

Even in high-def I can't really tell. Sharpened asparagus? I guess I thought it looked like a homemade blowgun missile.
    I think it's just a twig. sometimes a twig is just a twig. but I'd like to weigh in on the sharpened asparagus theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chameleon View Post
    Hurleybirds are known to dwell in nests fashioned from the twigs and darts they've gathered.
    dying of laughter over here...which can not be properly conveyed by smileys and abbreviations

By the way, does this whole Eloise LampPost thing answer that the sub wasn't physically transporting them to and from the island this whole time? But if Dharma could do it, so could Ben. Seems like there's many minions and infinite money, why not just get another sub?

Quote Originally Posted by sdorian View Post
    dying of laughter over here...which can not be properly conveyed by smileys and abbreviations
    Ha! Yay.

Lostpedia says "Suddenly, the camp is set upon by a rain of fiery arrows from an unseen enemy later revealed to be the Others." Well, we know the Others are on the island, but to my knowledge it is never specifically confirmed that they were responsible. It is, however, the most likely answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sdorian View Post
    The Lie -

aw, the scenes with Hurley and Sayid. Hurley's just a good person. Doesn't want to lie. Isn't going to not help Sayid. Hurley might be the closest the Losties have to a completely morally upright character (no killing, conning, lying). So I think that plays in to why he can see Jacob's cabin.
    Hurley HAS killed, with the Dharmavan, on the beach, remember?

Miles knew where the dead boar was b/c he can sense/hear the dead. He went out looking for dead animals to eat & can tell how long they've been dead for.
    The fire arrows were from the Others back in the 1950's (I think that's the time at that point).
    I was wondering about Ben's case too. The pp is probably right that it has the gun to kill Penny.
    I do like this epi as a rewatch now that we know what's going on. It was helpful listening to the auditory commentary too.
    "If we can't live together... we're going to die alone."

"Oh awesome. The ship sent us another Sawyer."

"You're just not looking at the big picture, Doc. You're still back in civilization. Me? I'm in the wild."

+ Reply to Thread