+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x02 The Lie

Default 5x02 The Lie

Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "The Lie"
    (Nov 9 - Nov 15)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lie

And opposite of the premiere, I found I liked this episode more on rewatch than I thought I did the first time. The flaming arrow attack was super intense. And I like seeing the beginnings of Juliet and Sawyer's relationship. The end, with "Jones" and the old Others is awesome.

As for off island, many funny scenes. The Shih-tsu shirt, and Hurley's mom asking about the dead Pakistani. Haha. Oh and the pizza pocket. I really think the scene between Kate and Sun was really good. I know people always criticise Evangeline's acting, but I felt she did really well in this episode, especially when Sun brings up the freighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MM0602 View Post
    And opposite of the premiere, I found I liked this episode more on rewatch than I thought I did the first time. The flaming arrow attack was super intense. And I like seeing the beginnings of Juliet and Sawyer's relationship. The end, with "Jones" and the old Others is awesome.

As for off island, many funny scenes. The Shih-tsu shirt, and Hurley's mom asking about the dead Pakistani. Haha. Oh and the pizza pocket. I really think the scene between Kate and Sun was really good. I know people always criticise Evangeline's acting, but I felt she did really well in this episode, especially when Sun brings up the freighter.
    So true. At first, I was kinda like..."That's it?" But now I realize it's a very well-paced, interesting episode. And how can you not love Hurley summarizing LOST in one long sentence?

iDream247 detonates my heart too

Quote Originally Posted by MM0602 View Post
    I really think the scene between Kate and Sun was really good. I know people always criticise Evangeline's acting, but I felt she did really well in this episode, especially when Sun brings up the freighter.
    ^^This^^

VERY intense scene between Sun and Kate. I admit I teared up when Kate blurted out "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" to Sun. She's bottled up her guilt for 3 years, and it shows. You can criticize Evangeline Lilly for many things (I guess), but not her acting. She has the chops.
    a

Proud Member of the DHC-- Specialty: Epic Hed

I love Season 5!

From Lostpedia transcripts:
    HURLEY: Okay. See, we did crash, but it was on this crazy island. And we waited for rescue, and there wasn't any rescue. And there was a smoke monster, and then there were other people on the island. We called them the Others, and they started attacking us. And we found some hatches, and there was a button you had to push every 108 minutes or... well, I was never really clear on that. But... the Others didn't have anything to do with the hatches. That was the DHARMA Initiative. The Others killed them, and now they're trying to kill us. And then we teamed up with the Others because some worse people were coming on a freighter. Desmond's girlfriend's father sent them to kill us. So we stole their helicopter and we flew it to their freighter, but it blew up. And we couldn't go back to the island because it disappeared, so then we crashed into the ocean, and we floated there for a while until a boat came and picked us up. And by then, there were six of us.

Big rewatch moment for me: what the heck is that package that Ben is hiding in the air duct? And even more significant to the story is this exchange:

BEN: John's casket is outside in a carpet van. I need to move it somewhere safe.
    JACK: Safe? He's dead, isn't he?
    BEN: I'll see you in six hours, Jack.

Really interesting how Ben doesn't answer the question. Does Ben know something about what's going to happen with Locke on the island? I'm also curious about the exchange Ben and Jill the Butcher have:

BEN: Have Gabriel and Jeffrey checked in yet?
    JILL: Yeah. Everything's moving right on schedule. How's it going with Shephard?
    BEN: He's with us.
    JILL: Really? What'd you do, bribe him with some pills?
    BEN: [Sternly] Cut the man some slack. He's been through a lot. We all have.
    JILL: Right. Of course. [Whispers] Sorry.
    BEN: So keep him safe, Jill. Because if you don't... everything we're about to do... won't matter at all.

There've been a few questions about who Gabriel and Jeffrey are, but I'm more interested in the inexplicably snide comment Jill makes about Jack. Making a comment like that about the pills makes it seem like she knows him, but how and why would she know Jack? Has she been spying on him for Ben? And why does Ben defend him? More importantly, why does he refer to Jack almost as if Jack is "one of them"? I hope there are some revelations about all of Ben's machinations in the final season.

Also noteworthy how Ana Lucia appears and tells Hurley "You've got a lot of work to do," mirroring Walt's appearance to Locke at the end of S3 (to quote Ms. Klugh: "Did Walt ever appear in a place he wasn't supposed to be?").

The lesser stuff:

I buy Jack's argument that they have to lie to try and stop Widmore from killing everyone, but the way he blackmails Hurley with "they're gonna think you're crazy" is so cruel and manipulative.

I can't believe Lostpedia missed the obvious ode to "Weekend at Bernie's" with Hurley putting the sunglasses on Sayid! Silly but awesome.

Charlotte's impending death is foreshadowed by her headache and memory loss.

Miles carrying the boar back is reminiscent of Locke way back at the beginning. I've been interested in the theory that the smoke monster actually killed the boar for Locke. If that were true, it would be an even cooler parallel with Miles "finding" the dead boar.

There's that mysterious dart that Sawyer steps on someone mentioned as thinking it happened in an earlier season.

We won't find out what happened to Rose and Bernard until the end of the season!

Great moments in LOST history: Hurley whips a Hot Pocket at Ben. That is just priceless. Anyone wonder how Ben got in undetected by the police? And if the place has a gate I would expect it to have a security system, too. Just a little thing, but I think we miss a lot of detail on just how awesomely sneaky Ben is.

Note to Locke lovers/theorizers: please don't forget that he knifes and kills someone here (much like he knifed Naomi). And as soon as he finds out they're Others he refuses to kill "one of his people." Good lord, man. Although I suppose he couldn't kill Widmore for space/time continuum reasons. Since I brought it up, has Jack ever killed anyone? I know he was shooting pretty wildly at D.I. people in "The Incident," did he have any confirmed kills prior to this? Does Mars count? We also know Charlie, Sawyer, Eko, Ana Lucia, Sun, Sayid, Bernard, Juliet, and Hurley have killed Others.

The return of Eloise Hawking! Interesting that she's in a Dharma station, considering that she was once leader of the Others, not to mention the fact that there's a Dharma station off the island. And we'll meet her younger self in the next episode.

On an Oceanic 6 note, did Aaron and Walt not have to go back because they were children, or because they weren't touched by Jacob?

"There's that mysterious dart that Sawyer steps on someone mentioned as thinking it happened in an earlier season."

Is it a dart? I'm watching in hi-def and it just looks like a twig to me.

I can't resist the awesome Benface in this ep....classic!

a

^Yeah! Wtf is up with that dart? I think it's a dart.

Quote Originally Posted by JulietDetonatesMyHeart View Post
    ^Yeah! Wtf is up with that dart? I think it's a dart.
    I must be missing it....

a

Yeah, but why would they draw attention to NOTHING? To just a twig?

+ Reply to Thread