Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x05 This Place Is Death

Default 5x05 This Place Is Death

Lost Rewatch Episode Discussion for "This Place Is Death"
    (Nov 23 - Nov 29)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/This_Place_Is_Death

An instant classic.

iDream247 detonates my heart too

Just a note that I'm sure others have picked up on. Locke injured his leg before the donkey wheel, just like Ben injured his shoulder. What's the significance?

With Locke I can kinda see it so he could go back in the wheelchair and all that, but with Ben, it seemed kind of odd and irrelevant.

Locke being hurt was basically a way to have Abbadon move him all around the world, as far as I can tell. I mean, I like it story wise but it really had no affect on anything in the long run, especially since he died.

Ben getting hurt was a visual aid in realizing that Ben's moments in The Shape Of Things To Come occur after he turns the wheel.

This is an okay episode. I sort of see it as a transitional episode between the fairly important events of Jughead & (sorta) The Little Prince and 316 & The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham.

The flashes were somewhat interesting - especially Jin's flashes with Danielle's team. We are not sure what happened to them - Danielle says they were 'sick', but it is pretty clear that whatever happened to them happened as a result of entering Smokey's lair under the temple.

Were they killed and we are seeing more dead people come alive? Or are they 'possessed' by Smokey in some way? If they are walking dead, then did MIB have some part in their death? I'm not sure what to make of this bit. So I've kind of set it aside as something that might fit together better later.

Of course, this is also the episode where Charlotte dies. Interesting that Daniel was the one who told her not to come back to the Island when she was little. What about WHH, Daniel???

Anyway, I felt sorry for Daniel here. I never really warmed up to Charlotte - we never really had the chance. But I do like Faraday...and I hate to see him lose Charlotte here.

And of course, Locke turns the frozen wheel in this episode. To Be Continued.....

Finally, we have the beginning of the meetup at the Lamp Post - love how Desmond turns up at the same time as Ben, Jack and Sun. That was kinda cool. And of course, it is awesome to see Desmond recognize Eloise Hawking! This off-island piece is also To Be Continued.....

Overall, a solid episode. Not the best of the season or anything, but nevertheless a solid effort that moved the story along.
    Last edited by Richard Was Here; 12-17-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    Art by CharlieBowtie

I wish Sun had stayed a bit more badass after going back to the island

Jin's flashes with Rousseau were interesting, but I kind of wish we got to spend a bit more time with her. This episode had a TON of stuff in the on-island story. I'm surprised it didn't feel really rushed.

I think this is one of the top season 5 episodes for sure!

^ Yeah, I agree about Sun. Watching the Pissed Off Sun of the O6 was rather interesting. Bullying her father, bullying Ben....it was quite interesting to watch. Would have liked to have seen more of that.
    Art by CharlieBowtie

Inside The Four Toed Statue with my roomate, Jacob

^ This is one of my favorite episodes in S5, Mostly because of the flashes with Danielle and her crew. It felt so epic to me during the first viewing, and it still does. One of the things that really surprised me in a good way was the source of the sickness. Most people thought it had something to do with The "Cabin Fever" from S4, but I never really liked that idea. The idea of being able to "Infect" people like that and change their personalities really makes MIB look worse than Jacob, IMO. It's a really low form of manipulation. It also makes me think he's a hypocrite, because he's responsible for setting the people who come to the island on each other.

The scene in the well was the one that made me realize Chrisitan is a bad guy. Something in his tone always made him seem malevolent, but in this episode, it really reminded me of a satanic figure, manipulating Locke with his weaknesses.

Thanks to jska108 for the signature.

I also liked this episode because I liked Charlotte and I feel like this is when she really 'warmed up' to the audience. I still get choked up a little bit for Daniel, I thought his speech right before she died was heartbreaking.

But also, I love the jibberish Charlotte was talking before she died.

"Turn it up! I love Geronimo Jackson!"

(Proudly) "I know more about ancient Carthage than Hannibal himself..."

iDream247 detonates my heart too

Inside The Four Toed Statue with my roomate, Jacob

I was really sad for Daniel when Charlotte died.

As a Film student, I really loved the the crane shot where they show him mourning over her body, though.

Thanks to jska108 for the signature.

+ Reply to Thread