+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I can explain the Sideways Timeline

Default I can explain the Sideways Timeline

Anyone remember this page from Daniel's Journal?

Here's how the diagram looks when complete (and with some explanations).

Notice the area on the 'Einstein Minkowski Space Time Diagram' (This is what it's called) on the lower right and inside of the triangle are two dots. It reads: 'Same Space, Different Times' E.g, you are sitting still. This means you are occupying the same space in different times.

Look above to where you also see two dots where it's written: 'Same Time, Different Spaces' This is defined as co-existing at the same time but in different spaces. Basically - you're in two different places at the same moment in time. You'll note that it's also written the words: 'Superluminal tunneling'. This refers to faster than light travel. Let me quote something and then I'll explain a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by title: On superluminal tunneling
    Abstract
    Photonic tunneling is currently of theoretical and applied interest. In a previous review, faster-than-light (i.e. superluminal) photonic tunneling was discussed (Progr. Quantum Electron. 21 (1997) 81). Recently, superluminal photonic pulse transmission and reflection have been measured at microwave and infrared frequencies. It seems clear that superluminal photonic and electronic devices will become a reality in the near future.

In the present report, we introduce new experimental and theoretical data on superluminal tunneling and reflection. Data of reflection by barriers have evidenced the nonlocal nature of tunneling. Asymmetric barriers have revealed a strange asymmetric reflection behavior in time.

The principle of causality is not violated by a superluminal speed even though the time duration between cause and effect can be shortened compared with a luminal interaction exchange. An empirical relationship independent of the barrier system is found for the photonic tunneling time. This relation seems to be universal for all kind of tunneling processes in the case of single opaque barriers.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...a273944c82e48d
    Lot's of stuff huh? Basically it means that the principal of causality is not violated. Simply put, the definition of causality means: "A cause and effect relationship. The causality of two events describes to what extent one event is caused by the other. When there is causality, there is a measure of predictability between the two events." So, what happens to something in one timeline, happens to the other thing in the other timeline.

But how did we get here? Looks like it's time for another diagram.

Stephen Hawking explained the concept of imaginary time in his book A Brief History of Time:
    Imaginary time is difficult to visualize. If we imagine "regular time" as a horizontal line running between "past" in one direction and "future" in the other, then imaginary time would run perpendicular to this line as the imaginary numbers run perpendicular to the real numbers in the complex plane. However, imaginary time is not imaginary in the sense that it is unreal or made-up — it simply runs in a direction different from the type of time we experience. In essence, imaginary time is a way of looking at the time dimension as if it were a dimension of space: you can move forward and backward along imaginary time, just like you can move right and left in space.
    When the 815 survivors and Ajira passengers moved through time - they were traveling upon an imaginary timeline which is perpendicular to the real timeline and stopped at points along it each time when they flashed. When they stopped, they flashed to a timeline parallel to the real timeline.

In effect, our main characters are living simultaniously in two parallel timelines & dimensions. And what happens in one alternate dimension likewise happens in another - but just to the people who are caught up in this dual dimensionality - not the ancillary characters in the story like Nadia for example - who can die in one dimension and not the other.

Counter Arguments anyone?
    Last edited by Erowyn; 03-12-2010 at 07:08 AM.

SPOLIER!!!

this is gold, pure gold

well done

awesome
    so what was the power that sent them superluminal? (farrady's experiment demonstrates that the island is poised for such a possibility, yes?)
    and will an inverse power bring them back together?
    brotha from anotha otha

I think this could definitely work, though either dumbed down or just never fully explained but implied.

The only reason I'd say it might not be the answer, is because your average, common tv viewer would not understand the concept of "imaginary" in this sense, and would instantly be saying "wuh? so they were imaginary? like it was all a dream? that's dumb!"

If anything I think they could allude to something like this but I wouldn't say this will be the full-blown answer.

-M

So time has a second dimension, which explains how a flash sideways is possible. The flash sideways is the 2nd dimension overlay of the original time line caused by superluminal energy. That is the hatch exploded at the Incident, powering the 2nd dimension or sideways flash. The standard timeline exists with the explosion neutralized by the plutonium trigger. So there was a release of energy (creating the 2nd dimension) and the the energy release was neutralized. So both things happened. For example if the incident took one second, then a half second was explosion and the other half was neutralization.

The linear time line still exists with the losties on the Island in 2007. Therefore the linear timeline exists in 2004 (where 815 crashed) with the addition of the 2nd dimension now overlaid onto it.

So does the 2nd dimension last until 2007? Does it converge with the linear timeline then? Is this even what you are trying to say?

Very Interesting.
    Last edited by Lost Lost Lost Lost; 03-12-2010 at 05:56 AM.
    ☸ ☠ $

hawking (stephen not eloise) also predicts a big crunch to go with the big bang - that eventually gravity will become the stronger force and the universe will snap back to a naked singularity
    so maybe we don't need a 2nd power maybe it will fold back on its own (this is sort of happening already with s.6 mirroring so much of s.1)
    brotha from anotha otha

This is pretty cool, but unfortunately Daniel Faraday is dead, so who will explain this to the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by jyandel View Post
    This is pretty cool, but unfortunately Daniel Faraday is dead, so who will explain this to the audience?
    Carl Sagan's ghost.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by HopeIsInside View Post
    Carl Sagan's ghost.

-M
    Carl Sagan rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by lockesfathersson View Post
    awesome
    so what was the power that sent them superluminal? (farrady's experiment demonstrates that the island is poised for such a possibility, yes?)
    and will an inverse power bring them back together?
    I believe that when Desmond didn't push the button and the sky turned violet in colour, he fractured the timeline to create a parallel timeline. An aircraft flying simultaniously within the influence of this electromagnetic discharge would likewise be caught by the timeline displacment so long as the aircraft was within the EMF field.

Remember our friend, Rabbit #15 and the whole Casamir effect explaination that was glossed over? It's been speculated that what existed in the Swan Station was exotic matter. Exotic matter with negative energy density is required to stabilize a wormhole. Kip Thorne pointed out that the quantum mechanics of the Casimir effect can be used to produce a locally mass-negative region of space-time, and suggested that negative effect could be used to stabilize a wormhole to allow faster than light travel. This is how I believe that the superluminal tunnel was created.

As for reintegration of the dimensions? I'm investigating your question. Nothing yet.

+ Reply to Thread