+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst acting on Lost

Default Worst acting on Lost

I love Lost, and think it has some of the best acting I've ever seen (particularly for a TV show). Overall, the standard of acting is very high across the board, even in many of the minor characters.

However, in some rare cases the acting ranges from subpar to outrageously bad. So, I need to ask... What's the worst acting on Lost?

For me it's got to be Dominic Monaghan as Charlie. His character is also super annoying, which makes watching him doubly painful. Harold Perrineau also did a lackluster job as Michael Dawson (WAAAAALT's father). They are my nominations for worst acting for the major Lost characters.

Of the minor characters, I'd have to nominate Frogert. His annoying, hammish freakout shortly before his death by "Fire!" was really painful to watch. Radzinski was also pretty bad.

Who did I miss? And are there any other scenes that stand out as particularly memorable for their bad acting?
    Last edited by gnosis; 03-18-2010 at 02:47 PM.

I'd vote for Matthew Fox as Jack. Too one dimensional.

If actors seem bad, it's usually the fault of the writers.

Fox is a perfectly good actor. I really have no problems with the skill of the actors themselves.
    Conformity of purpose will be achieved through the mutual satisfaction of requirements.

I always felt something was off with Juliet.
    Her facial expressions just never matched the scenes.

Ana Lucia was bad also IMO. She is one dimensional. She can be tough, and thats about it.

Matthew Fox as Jack. Too much crying in the jungle.

But then again, he's like William Shatner and the dramatic pause - I couldn't imagine Star Trek without him, just as I couldn't imagine LOST without Fox and his many Jackfaces...
    "You did this!"

The best/worst actor threads almost never stay civil after a couple pages, but I'll take a chance and throw out my opinion. To be safe I'll even wrap it in tags:

<opinion>
    I respect your opinion about Charlie and Michael, but I actually think both are pretty decent. Perrineau wasn't exactly given a lot to work with, but when he was I thought he did a very solid job of it. I don't think any actor would come across as skilled if 90% of their lines involved griping about his son. People are questioning Yunjin Kim's acting now too, but there again she's got absolutely nothing to work with. We know she's a great actress, look no further than D.O.C. or Ji Yeon for proof.

Anyway, to your original question — I'm in the minority who happens to think Ken Leung is not a particularly gifted actor. I like Miles but I've always thought Leung has an annoying propensity for over-enunciating. Whenever an actor tries too hard to pronounce every word and syllable correctly (instead of realistically), I don't consider that good acting.

Love the Hurley character but I'm not going to pretend Jorge's in the upper echelon of acting either. He has had some good moments though; I actually thought he was great in Dave and Tricia Tanaka is Dead.

Minor characters: Only two have ever made me say out loud, "Wow, now that's some bad acting." 1) Justin the Other, and 2) the hard-hat guy in the Orchid who said "Time travel? How stupid does [Chang] think we are?"

EDIT: Thanks to Miss Linus on page 2 for reminding me that I can't stand the acting of senior-citizen Eloise. I'm sure she's a sweet woman but I can't stand her style of acting.
    </opinion>
    Last edited by frefaln; 03-18-2010 at 03:16 PM.

www.lostredux.com | All episodes reviewed, time to let go and move on. Farewell and thanks to the few positive fans left at Lostpedia!

Quote Originally Posted by Drink Dharma Beer View Post
    I'd vote for Matthew Fox as Jack. Too one dimensional.
    I'd vote for M.Fox also.. but that's only because I dislike his character. I think as an actor he is good. Yes one dimensional.

But...

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    If actors seem bad, it's usually the fault of the writers.

So it really isn't M. Fox's fault. And he does act well.

I personally disliked Shannon.

I have to disagree about Jack's acting being bad. I like him as an actor, but I do agree that the character is too one-dimensional. His role had promise in the early seasons, but then the writers chose to stifle his character's development (though they did that with most of the other characters as well, except maybe for Ben and Locke).

Jack character is undergoing some development, as he's coming to terms with his relationship to his father, and coming to have faith in fate and the island. But that character development is glacially slow, and overall Jack is still pretty much the same stereotypical charismatic, self-sacrificing doctor-hero he's always been. So I could see some frustration due to this one-dimensionality. But that's really the fault of the writers, not the actor.

Let's make it a game show!

5 points: "It's an antenna of sorts"

4 points: "I will never leave you. I love you. And I believe you."

3: points: "So how come you know so much about passion?"

2 points: "We had an unfortunate incident involving a boomerang"

1 point: "Nadia!"

Quote Originally Posted by ange View Post
    I personally disliked Shannon.
    Maggie Grace is probably the worst actor ever to be a member of the main cast (well, aside from Nikki and Paolo). I don't hate her or anything (nor Shannon . . . although she often bugged me), but she'd have a hard time getting cast in a quality high school play.

Perrineau was given some pretty one-dimensional material on-island, but in his flashback scenes, I always thought he was aces. With the lawyers? Very good acting there.

+ Reply to Thread