+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "The Candidate" promo quotes "Heart of Darkness", inspiration for "Apocalypse Now"

Default "The Candidate" promo quotes "Heart of Darkness", inspiration for "Apocalypse Now"

Thought the text at start of this week's promo seemed a bit clumsy, "His Soul had gone mad, being alone in the wilderness", then thought it might be a quote so googled it, and it turns out it is paraphrasing a quote from "Heart of Darkness", a 1902 novella by Joseph Conrad, which was the inspiration for the Francis Ford Copella film "Apocalypse Now". (both also feature "the horror, the horror" which pops up near the end of the promo")

The relevant passage is

"He had kicked himself loose of the earth. Confound the man! He had kicked the very earth into pieces. He was alone, and I before him did not know whether I stood on the ground or floated in the air. I’ve been telling you what we said – repeating the phrases we pronounced – but what’s the good? They were common everyday words – the familiar, vague sounds exchanged on every waking day of life. But what of that? They had behind them, to my mind, the terrific suggestiveness of words heard in dreams, of phrases spoken in nightmares. Soul! If anybody had ever struggled with a soul, I am the man. And I wasn’t arguing with a lunatic either. Believe me or not, his intelligence was perfectly clear – concentrated, it is true, upon himself with horrible intensity, yet clear; and therein was my only chance – barring, of course, the killing him there and then, which wasn’t so good, on account of unavoidable noise. But his soul was mad. Being alone in the wilderness, it had looked within itself, and, by Heavens! I tell you, it had gone mad. I had – for my sins, I suppose, to go through the ordeal of looking into it myself.

Thumbs up

Awesome! Good work. I'm really looking forward to The Horror. I like LOST best when it's scary.

Heart of Darkness is one of my all-time favorite stories, so I was very happy when they used those quotes. That, plus the sound byte of Flocke made for one scary-as-hell promo.
    The wise know how to use time and space perfectly; they lead free and harmonious lives. Fools are enslaved by time and space; they are busy running around all day. Wise or foolish, the difference is obvious.

Thanks to Atarada for the sig!

Thank you for the*informative*post.

+ Reply to Thread