Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Did The Writers Give a Middle Finger to the Fans?

Default Why Did The Writers Give a Middle Finger to the Fans?

That's how I feel days after the finale. I feel that the writers totally screwed the loyal fans in the end, and left us with a big ball of frustration. They toyed with us season after season promising answers. Each answer led to 10 more questions, but we kept on watching intrigued by the deepening mysteries. And at the end of the road, I feel like it was "surprise fans! You get a big goose egg. Nada zilch. No answers!! hahaaha" I don't get why they encouraged fans to get so invested in the Island mythology if their end game was that the none of that mattered.

I defended Lost for years because on one interview where Carlton claimed that Lost was a big mosaic and each episode was part of the puzzle and it would all make sense in the end.

What a freaking lie! Nothing makes sense. Not even the afterlife reality. I don't understand Desmond's role, the Island's power, the hatch, the numbers , Walt, the visions on the island, the statue, Charles Whidmore, and what about Eloise freaking Hawking??? There was supposed to be some big reveal about the time travel thing with Desmon and Eloise. But we get nothing. It totally negates the power of episodes like The Constant. It's all meaningless filler. I absolutely believe now that the writers were making crap up on their whiteboard as they went along. Whatever sounded cool at the time.

Thanks guys for ruining a great series.

This is a very original thread. Props on the creativity. Also, try thinking through these problems yourself without being spoon-fed, as with a few notable exceptions, every major mystery was answered, either physically or allegorically.

I consider myself a very loyal fan, and they didn't give me a middle finger at all.

Everything makes sense to me, I've never been happier...

OP, I agree. There are many things that just don't make sense. (Had they really been answered we wouldn't still have thread and theory pages.) The narrative of understanding The Island's mysteries was left behind so we could see the afterlife. Uncool.

And the beat goes on.
    Smocke Rules!

No, the writers did not give fans the middle finger. They gave fans a rear entry anal rape. But, at the same time, they also gave the fans the most emotional and pleasurable reach-around in the history of the world. It was so good that most were pretty cool about the rape bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Rearranger View Post
    Everything makes sense to me, I've never been happier...
    Copy that! If this was Darlton giving me a big middle finger, well, they can greet me like that any time they please.

www.lostredux.com | All episodes reviewed, time to let go and move on. Farewell and thanks to the few positive fans left at Lostpedia!

chillin w/ the blonde haired guy, the curly haired guy and the German

The title I agree w/. But they've been doing this the whole time. They're self-hating sci fi nerds. :P

But the points you tried to make failed. They just showed that you don't understand that you got the vast majority of answers.
    ...or, on second thought, go ahead and keep making stuff up.

1. I think there are threads for this.

2. I respect you being frustrated, but I think it stems from the fact that I think you misunderstood the show from the beginning. (And this is not saying that the show "was about characters..." because all shows are. It is saying that there was never a logical explanation for anything on the show.)

3. A "mosiac" is not a puzzle. It was a mosaic. It was not a puzzle to be solved. It was never going to have a "red doorknob" moment or a Scooby Do moment. You are looking for something that isnt there. And, it isnt there in LIFE or in L O S T.

Closed Thread