+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 217 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2168

Thread: What do you think "The Event" will be?

Haha, Homeland has a reversed E?

I saw The Event Season 1 dvd in the stores today. And left it there.

I don't know why, but I still feel cheated out of an ending on this mess. They should have let them wrap it up. The potential plot they left has just made me more curious. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim108 View Post
    Haha, Homeland has a reversed E?
    Yep, just like a certain other series, the subject of this thread!

I saw The Event Season 1 dvd in the stores today. And left it there.
    I guess it will gather moss there. A rolling DVD gathers no moss.

Quote Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
    I don't know why, but I still feel cheated out of an ending on this mess. They should have let them wrap it up. The potential plot they left has just made me more curious. Go figure.
    I will soon get disk 3 from Netflix, onlychild. It contains "Dr. Dempsey Alternate Story." This is like the epilogue to LOST, "Men Man in Charge"! I mean, this is big, really big! Secrets will be revealed! Lives will change!

At least that's what I'm telling myself, as my wife and daughter are wondering why I'm bothering with it...

In an interview with Broadway World, Jason Ritter, who played Sean Walker on the NBC series, claimed that producers Nick Wauters and Steve Stark are still trying to bring the show back on the air, with a miniseries said to be one of the possible options:
    [...]
    They are hoping, though, still – Nick Wauters, who created it, and the first producer who developed it with Nick, Steve Stark – they are still in talks with various other channels to hopefully do at least some kind of wrap-up miniseries, if not the whole thing. So, I would love to do that because I think it is frustrating to leave a story half-told.
    This is never going to end, is it?

This is never going to end, is it?
    Not if we keep answering each other's posts.

Oh! You mean the series, not the thread!

I got the DVD (3rd disk) today but only watched the "bonus" once.

I'll be going out-of-town, so I'll watch again and report after Thursday.

Is it possible that The Event is Secret Asian Man getting a guest spot on the season premiere of Burn Notice last night?

mr howley we were so wrong,you were so right. that was an invisible dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Badger View Post
    Is it possible that The Event is Secret Asian Man getting a guest spot on the season premiere of Burn Notice last night?
    That's it, LB! It all makes sense now!

Were there any scrolls lying around?

Lesbian Perm Guy Alternate Story

“Dr. Dempsey Alternate Story” is a “bonus” feature on Disk 3 of the DVDs for the short-lived TV series THE EVƎNT. It runs a little less than 12 minutes and consists of “showrunner” Evan Katz explaining why the three deleted scenes were not incorporated into the “mythology” of the series.

Katz says that he sees the series unfolding in three steps. Episodes 2-5 were for the “unwinding of the pilot.” They used flashbacks to a greater extent to “explicate” plot points. Episodes 6-9 used flashbacks less extensively, and in fact were eliminated as they attempted to “explicate” the mythology in the present. "I look at them now and say, wow, that was incredibly complicated," he said.

The deleted scenes would have been in episode 10, just before they took two months off to look at what they had done, and ask what they wanted to change. Hal Holbrook as Dr. Dempsey would have been in a more straightforward corporate-pharmaceuticals greed role. It would have been a “science-based mythology” versus the “epic mystery of ancient history” that the producers changed it to. By the end of Episode 9, they decided that wasn’t going to work. As Katz explains, they decided they wanted to put more of the focus on Jason Ritter’s character, Sean Walker. They saw that there were “overlying intricate stories in the flashbacks” and they wanted to “explicate the mythology in the present.”

There are three deleted scenes. The first is apparently set in the past, as Holbrook is made up to look somewhat younger as Isabel introduces Thomas to Dempsey. Thomas wants money to go forward with his project, and Dempsey has agreed to meet with him “as a favor to a beautiful woman” (knowing glances between Dempsey and Isabel; Thomas looks uncomfortable). Thomas has a thick metallic Petri dish that contains part of his people’s genome. Despite his assertion to Thomas he is “full of crap,” LPG suddenly looks intrigued and the scene ends.

The next scene is Dempsey giving Thomas the heave-ho as Thomas is trying to sell him the last 20% of his genome. Dempsey says he doesn’t need to cure cancer and other diseases, he needs to eliminate the diseases from ever happening, and he needs live subjects to test his experiments on to see if they will be viable for human use. [I guess the DNA he swallowed and which caused him to grow younger for ten nanoseconds was unstable]. Thomas refuses to “give up” any of his people for experiments. Dempsey offers to shake hands as he says business is over, but Thomas refuses.

The last deleted scene is Thomas calling from his car as he sits across from an elementary school where we see “Paul” picking up his daughter after school. [I would love for flashsideways Ben Linus to have shown up at that point and punched Thomas for being a pedophile]. Thomas says that while he will not “give up” his people for experiments, some have “strayed” and have had offspring with humans. Sounding like Hitler, he says he has disapproved of this weakening of their species, and would be glad to provide these hybrids to Dempsey for the funding he needs.

So, those scenes would have explained how Dempsey got the information on the hybrids, and would have shown Thomas in collusion with Dempsey. Not sure where they would have taken the plotline from there. In seems to me that in the final canned series, Thomas had acquired his own wealth by investing in technology that he helped steer puny humans to create. Dempsey was suddenly a member of a “Tribe of Sentinels” whose mission stretched eons back to protect humankind from “the Sleepers.” It was never said, but it would have made sense that he contributed to Vice-President Jarvis’ campaign to gain access to Inostronka so he could track “Sleepers” in the wider world, and to have secret operatives to obtain the hybrid children for him.

Conclusion: They were making it up as they went along. Pity, though, they should have worked on the “Sentinels” mythology earlier, like, in development. Ah, well, we’ll see if the story ever has a chance to go forward. The solution is probably “in the scrolls. Read ‘em. I gotta go.”

Here’s some captures from the first deleted scene. Maybe we should have a caption contest using them.

"Just got a new haircut, Tom! What do you think?"

Thanks a lot for posting! I was wondering what it would be. So they decided to go with the guardian angel storyline because they decided that other thing wasn’t going to work? And then they killed LPG off because Sean Walker was more interesting? And... when did they ever ''explicate'' the present mythology? What did they tell us about anything?

Can't say I'm surprised though!

Haha, thanks!! So jealous that you got to see more of De Gebeurtenis!

+ Reply to Thread