+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacob's white and black rock scale from the cave

Default Jacob's white and black rock scale COMPLETE (pix up)

My other prop thread turned into a discussion on the tapestry and I LOVED that... So since I'm also starting yet another prop project, I thought I'd start off with some questions about it.

What do you think the scale was used for? Was it just a cool metaphor that the story creators stuck in the cave for OUR benefit, or do you have some theory on why Jacob made/used it?

Here's my theory (which I reference slightly in my narrative):

Jacob used the scale and the rocks as a metaphor when explaining to his smoked brother that he wanted to create a 'game' between them. Right after MIB got smoked, he was all chaos with his powers, and Jacob was figuring out all the things he could do - including control his brother to an extent. But he felt guilty for what he had done and didn't want them to be constantly fighting and destroying the island.

So Jacob decided in order to be able to limit the damage they could do AND to have a chance to prove to his brother that people weren't all bad AND to be able to eventually bring people to the island to replace him, he would do what his brother had once suggested when they were children and create a game.

They would both agree to certain limitations on their powers... the rules. The way to get MIB to agree was, Jacob indicated through metaphor with the scales (like he used the wine bottle with Richard) that balance between the two would always be kept.

Jacob would seal their decisions with the power of the island/light to keep him honest and if something would happen and either one of them needed or wanted to change the rules, they would go back to the cave and negotiate.

MIB throwing the white rock out of the cave when he and Sawyer were in there was his 'inside joke' because it meant, there was no more balance now that Jacob was gone... I don't know if he was thinking he didn't have to follow the rules but Jacob coming back as his kid self to 'mess with him' reminded MIB that yeah, he still had to follow them as they were set, so long as the Light was still in control of the game.

That's my theory. What's yours??

Now, the prop... So far I have the chain that I bought in the jewelry making section of Micheal's Craft Store. It's silver and I'll have to either soak it in water and see if it rusts on its own, or paint/ rub n' buff it.

For the scale disks I want to use real metal, but couldn't find anything. I was going to buy metal and try to cut and bend it but then I found Moon Lights, and the rounded top part were so close that I decided it's easier to paint them to look rusted and plastic is much easier to drill/nail holes into than metal.

I'm going to pick up those temporary key chains for the circle loops or make my own with jewelry wire.

I bought black rocks and found a white rock that I'm painting to make even more white.

Here's what I have taken a picture of so far, I put the auction image in there for reference:

Last edited by Delphina; 02-14-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Been putting off cleaning up after the electricians to work on this today. They turned our ceilings and walls into Swiss cheese trying to rewire our house and there is dust EVERYWHERE! ugh.

Did some testing of the paint to make the plastic look like rust and put together the chain with the disk, which I melted slightly with a candle to make it bend like the metal disk.

I hate that I have to go be responsible and not keep being creative... but alas, I must grow up and be an adult for a few hours instead of playing like a kid..

I agree completely with your theory about the scale. I think I read a variation of that theory before, and it makes total sense.

Corner office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, & Pryce

I agree too. Makes logical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by valenzetti_FTW View Post
    I agree completely with your theory about the scale. I think I read a variation of that theory before, and it makes total sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Ranch Dressing View Post
    I agree too. Makes logical sense.
    That was easy, nobody's going to argue with me? Guess maybe it's just more obvious than other Lost Mysteries.

Anyway, here's some rust work on the disks:

Nice theory and good luck with the scale!

The only hole I can poke in the theory is that, when Jacob died and all the rules went away (almost), wouldn't MIB have been restored to full power?

MIB lost some power after Jacob died, so if Jacob made the rules to limit their powers, then MIB would've been back to his old self, meaning that he could appear as anyone and not just Locke etc.

I'm mostly active over on deviantart, where I also, ironically, upload My art
    XenowmenFans on deviantArt
    My videos

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser-89 View Post
    The only hole I can poke in the theory is that, when Jacob died and all the rules went away (almost), wouldn't MIB have been restored to full power?

MIB lost some power after Jacob died, so if Jacob made the rules to limit their powers, then MIB would've been back to his old self, meaning that he could appear as anyone and not just Locke etc
    The only power I can think of that he lost was changing form so maybe Jacob gave him the ability to change form. That's what I wrote in my narrative explanation, that Jacob had limited him to changing form to people that those he was showing himself to would know were dead already. That way he couldn't impersonate living people.

Can you think of other powers MIB lost when Jacob died?

As for the ones he gained back, it could be killing the candidates and like I said above, that's why boy Jacob came back as little Jacob.

As for the powers I was imagining that MIB gave up in the trade, it could have been killing whoever he wants to, rather than just those he's judged as bad, or it could have been the ash or the sound barriers. Maybe Jacob gave Dogen some of HIS powers as part of the trade of so that would be why MIB needed to have Dogen dead.

Either way, the only way I could imagine the rules working and making sense is that they would be negotiable.

As for the scales.. I thought the paint was too shiny, so I rubbed some dirt into it while it was still a bit tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphina View Post
    The only power I can think of that he lost was changing form so maybe Jacob gave him the ability to change form. That's what I wrote in my narrative explanation, that Jacob had limited him to changing form to people that those he was showing himself to would know were dead already. That way he couldn't impersonate living people.

Can you think of other powers MIB lost when Jacob died?

As for the ones he gained back, it could be killing the candidates and like I said above, that's why boy Jacob came back as little Jacob.

As for the powers I was imagining that MIB gave up in the trade, it could have been killing whoever he wants to, rather than just those he's judged as bad, or it could have been the ash or the sound barriers. Maybe Jacob gave Dogen some of HIS powers as part of the trade of so that would be why MIB needed to have Dogen dead.

Either way, the only way I could imagine the rules working and making sense is that they would be negotiable.

As for the scales.. I thought the paint was too shiny, so I rubbed some dirt into it while it was still a bit tacky.
    Alright, that would fit with what we've been shown & not shown.

He lost his teleportation ability as well, since I do believe he was Christian on the freighter, and that he appeared as the Cabin, Christian and the eye guy to Hurley in season 4, which moved. It would also explain why (the times we've seen from his POV) he flies around and then after a quick white flash he's somewhere else on the Island.

Although I can definatly see Jacob giving him this power;
    J:You can go wherever you want...
    MIB:
    J:..on the Island
    MIB:

As for Dogen, I think Jacob made it so that as long as he and Dogen where alive, the ash would keep MIB out. That's why Lennon said "You idiot, he was the only thing keeping it out" when Dogen had met his demise at the hands of I'm-not-a-zombie-Sayid. After Dogen's death, no one bothered about using ash anymore, and the ash the Others spread around the Temple (as they found out Jacob was dead) was never showed to be removed or wiped away, and MIB just came swooping in.

Or rather, that as long as Jacob was alive, MIB couldn't enter the Temple or cross ash, and when Jacob died, the Others used the ash as they had lost their previous protection.

As for your scale, it looks a bit red now, but that might just be because of the picture?

Have you gotten an adversary yet to have an "inside joke" with?

My videos

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser-89 View Post
    He lost his teleportation ability as well, since I do believe he was Christian on the freighter,
    I thought that was a ghost, but it doesn't change your point.

Although I can definatly see Jacob giving him this power;
    J:You can go wherever you want...
    MIB:
    J:..on the Island
    MIB:
    *snerk*

Or rather, that as long as Jacob was alive, MIB couldn't enter the Temple or cross ash, and when Jacob died, the Others used the ash as they had lost their previous protection.
    That makes sense too. Which why it was the only safe place left on the island. And why they freaked when they realized Jacob was dead.

As for your scale, it looks a bit red now, but that might just be because of the picture?
    I dirtied it up a bit, with actual dirt! And it mellowed the redness of it:

Have you gotten an adversary yet to have an "inside joke" with?
    No... but maybe I should set it up as a way to decide chores for my kids. Get some pebbles and load up the scales. For bad behavior I take a pebble off and whoever's is lightest has to do the chores, when they are equal they both get to help each other.

Cool beans, Delphina!

As for giving your kids chores to do, i guess that will work, as long as they don't take your pebbles away

My videos

+ Reply to Thread